GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some of you make some suggestions on some good riding around Ruidoso. We are planning on staying there on the way to Rockies Gold in September. We will arrive there on Saturday evening and plan to spend Sunday riding in the area before heading out to our next stop. I have looked at some websites about some rallies that are held there but the do not have any info on rides in the area.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
LaHawk,

Take the back way to Cloudcroft on Hwy 244. Nice rode. Once in Cloudcroft, take the Sunspot Hwy (6563) to the observatory at the end of the road. Great road down and back.

Back in Cloudcroft, turn left on Hwy 82 ro Alamogordo. Beautiful change of scenery and a nice tunnel.

North of Ruidoso, take Hwy 48 to 37 north to 380 west. Turn right in Carrizozo to 54, then veer right on 349 to White Oaks, where you find the infamous "No Scum Allowed Saloon".

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
957 Posts
South of Raton off I-25, take 64 to Cimarron then to Eagles Nest. From Eagles Nest either continue on 64 to Taos, or turn north on 38 to Questa, then south on 522 back to Taos, and back the way you came. Beautiful mountain scenery, and quaint little towns worth stopping for a look around.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South of Raton off I-25, take 64 to Cimarron then to Eagles Nest. From Eagles Nest either continue on 64 to Taos, or turn north on 38 to Questa, then south on 522 back to Taos, and back the way you came. Beautiful mountain scenery, and quaint little towns worth stopping for a look around.
Last year we rode into Albuquerque and rode that area for a day then headed up I25 to Santa Fe and the Enchanted Circle area, man that is some fine riding around there. We are just looking for a different route/area to ride this year. I looked at Dans suggested roads on the map and they look like great rides. We are just trying to change the route up from last years route to Colorado.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Rides are on just about any road out of town. Pretty town too. Be warned, the Golden Aspen Rally is going on in the middle of Sept, so check now and book early. One of the nicer rallys to attend if you are interested. http://www.motorcyclerally.com/page1.htm

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
LaHawk,

After checking out the No Scum Allowed Saloon in White Oaks you can double back (it's probably 8-10 miles) to Carrizozo, head west on 380 to I-25, then north to Albuquerque and on to Montrose.

Good hearing from you again. Man, I really want to go to Rockies Gold but I don't have enough vacation days left to make it work.

Have a great time. Went to Colo. earlier in the summer. Fantastic place to ride, for sure.

Your Central Texas friend,
Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LaHawk,

After checking out the No Scum Allowed Saloon in White Oaks you can double back (it's probably 8-10 miles) to Carrizozo, head west on 380 to I-25, then north to Albuquerque and on to Montrose.

Good hearing from you again. Man, I really want to go to Rockies Gold but I don't have enough vacation days left to make it work.

Have a great time. Went to Colo. earlier in the summer. Fantastic place to ride, for sure.

Your Central Texas friend,
Dan

Hey Dan
Thanks for the route suggestions, they look like just what I was looking for. I will load them in the Zumo and try to ride them all while in the area.
I hate that you could not join us earlier this year when we rode down to the Hill Country, we had a great weekend of riding. Going to Rockies Gold last year we went up 550 and stayed in Montrose one night then headed for Copper Mountain so most of the riding was in that part of Colorado. We saw just enough of the Montrose area to know that we wanted to go back and spend some time riding that part of the state. When PODO anounced that RG would be in Montrose this year I signed up and started planning how to get off work.
I hope to get back down your way sometime later this year to satisfy a BBQ craving that can only be fixed with Texas style BBQ. If I do I will shout at you and maybe we can meet up. While down there earlier this year we rode down to Luling and ate at Luling City Market, it is now #1 on my list, but I will continue to search for some better BBQ, although I think that is going to be tough to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts