GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nephew just returned from Iraq for more training before heading to Afghanastan (check spelling).
Anywho he's with the 101st at FT. Campbell and as a right of passage bought a Harley. I plan to head out in the spring and ride with him. Any good suggestions on day/half day rides in the area?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
100 out of Russelville KY is scenic and if you go far enough east, has some twisties.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Take hwy 79 to Dover cross the Cumberland and turn left, hwy 49 to Carlisle, then left on hwy 149 back to Clarksville. Great winding rd. that follows the river. Or in west side of Dover turn right on hwy 49, this runs through the land between the lakes all the way to Grand Rivers, Ky. Grand Rivers is the home of Patty's Resturant. Best eating anywhere, you may need to get reservations or plan on waiting. People drive hundreds of miles to eat there, very popular. Also hwy 13 south is a real good road all the way to Alabama. Just look at a map and decide how far you want to go. Cumberland City, Tn. has a ferry that crosses the Cumberland river one of the last ferries operating in Tn.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
:agree:pork chops and cream pies at Patty's are the best. Great place to walk around and kill some time also.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about to Mammoth Cave?

I'm getting closer to doing this with my nephew. I was thinking maybe ride up to check out the cave. Any suggestions for a good route from Clarksville, TN and stops to make?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Natchez Trace Parkway

The Natchez Trace Parkway on south side of Nashville is a great day ride with the Loveless Cafe on the northern end. Like someone else said the Trace in Land Between the Lakes has some twisties and a few things to do along the way.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Tell your nephew "Thanks" for his service. I would suggest a ride north on the Pennyrile, to the Hanson exit. Go into town just through the stop light, & on the left side is The Campus. Some of the best catfish money can buy. We ride down there at least twice a year, just for the catfish. The riding is an extra bonus.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
My son used to be stationed at campbell, the land between the lakes is very pretty and a nice ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
PM sent regarding mapsource file for Patti's and Land Between The Lakes ride.....

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

I'm at work now and will open it when I get home.
I'm thinking ride around the lake all day.
Then do a bit more riding in the area next day and head back.
If that goes well he'll join me on my annual spring ride along the BlueRidegeParkway

Thanks again

Steve

PM sent regarding mapsource file for Patti's and Land Between The Lakes ride.....

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
In addition to what jpwpar said. Instead of taking 49 back to Dover, if he went on to 147 to McKinnon u can go across the Danville Ferry (which is 5 times or more the distance accross the TN River) to Big Sandy the back to 69 to Springville/Elkorn rd to Nobles back to hwy 79 toward Dover. Then take hwy 232 (a nice curvey road) after going over TN river at Paris Landing. Then back to 147 to 49 to Dover. There is a road from 232 that takes u to Dover but don't remember its name. To me the Cumberland Ferry was a bust as compared to the Danville one.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If interested in the Civil War, Fort Donelson is worth a visit. But u can't ride every where. Would defiantly do the trace in land between the lakes.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I am about 50 miles from Fort Campbell West of Hopkinsville) anything west and south of Hopkinsville is pretty trashed from the Ice storm and a lot of the back roads have and will continue for some time to have cleanup efforst going on. The Dover and Ashland City TN area has some good riding. I think the Trace through the LBL is now back open and is is pretty good. If you can lay your hands on one Mad Maps has a map of W. KY, W. TN, S. IL, and S. IN. It has some pretty good loops on it.

The Lake Barkley Lodge is a good choice.

Also if you like BBQ then a trim to Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro is a must. http://www.moonlite.com/

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You!

Good choice..........they also have pretty good food there. Since you will be riding out from this location, I reworked the route I sent you previously to now start from and end at the Lodge.

Have fun...........
Actually I am meeting my nephew in Clarksville early sat. a.m.
We will then head west toward Land between the Lakes, ride through it and then down along it to Lake Barkley. I tried to reverse your last route in mapsource using the invert feature but apparently that is not the correct way to do it. I can just use it for a guide and reverse it myself I guess.
Thanks for all your help, I'm looking forward to this ride and time with my nephew.
I work in Toccoa Ga near Currahee mtn where the Parachute Infantry used to train for invasion of Normandy etc. There is a muesam here and I got him a parachuter teeshirt that I think he'll really like. He started off in the ROTC to help get him through UMASS and joined the Rangers jumping out of planes. He liked it and decided to stay as an officer. He is now a commander/squad leader/officer? in heavy artillery.
Can you tell I'm proud of him? He's a math major/wiz like his dad and I thought he'd become a bank president like his dad so I was surpirsed when he entered the army, especially since he signed on after (or because of) his best friend being killed in Iraq.

Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Steve

I reworked the route to start in Clarksville (west end of town), and ends at the Lodge but in reverse direction from the route I previously sent.

Again, thank your nephew for his service!!!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Steve

I reworked the route to start in Clarksville (west end of town), and ends at the Lodge but in reverse direction from the route I previously sent.

Again, thank your nephew for his service!!!!
I will thank my nephew (again) this time from you. And thank you for taking the time to plan this for me, its a big help.

Steve

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Steve,

Thank him for me, too.

Enjoy NW TN and SW KY.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts