GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some have mentioned this thread has gone off topic; how's that I will ask?
One rider mentions an accomplishment for hitting a 100K. Others not as well versed in the wing's ability and/or in the world of 2 wheels of long distance riding are impressed by the extreme distances.
Take note your Wing among all others are more than capable to achieve higher miles.

Time is what one has to deal with along with an ability to understand that riding LD is not just "sitting there, Twist that" it is a lifestyle or a different way of riding to meet friends in far away places where some "used to run” or that famous burger in a far away place you "used" to live in.
i have in fact "Retired" from the navy over ten (10) years ago BUTT! i still go into Paradise to ensure those many more unfortunate folks have an enjoyable climate to perform thier respective duties.
i dare say that when i Retire from Paradise i am sure to be running the roads of not just america butt most likeley some other far off land.

Many folks got into LD riding due to limited time frame from work requirements; others set a goal to reach. Still some were young military types away from “adult supervision” which was my case. i would have a weekend and get on the bike and see just how far i could go before having to return to the ship.

Indeed, I have even met some whose EGO had a requirement to obtain a license plate backer proclaiming the achievement never attempt to further that former accomplishment.

For myself, as it has been written; "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." -Robert Louis Stevenson

That is one of the many reasons I will travel as much as I can. There is OVER 7 million miles of roads in the USA based on a map of roads I have hanging in my office. It is now a dated map as this is approximately 10 years old and there are many more changes.
It is my desire to attempt to try each road at least once before I die.
I also don’t ever want to be sitting on the porch “wishing” I could have done more. I know I will have made a significant dent on those roads and byways of the north continent.

Some of you felt a snide remark about how smug I may be was warranted.
I firmly believe in one gets old by not riding, just like an abused, neglected or unused Goldwing sitting inside its respective parking space collecting dust.

Indeed how many of you old or young, will get stiff and sore when you sit in one place for too long and then try to get going again?
Others feel the need to qualify this as something ONLY when RETIRED!
Why I ask?
What happens if that never is accomplished? Never put off something like riding.
These bikes are nothing of the sorts my father had to deal with. Some of you have mechanical abilities limited to the level of your VISA/MASTERCARD; while others feel the need to carry the garage full of tools. It is unneeded.
Just get out a map one day and find a spot and go there. Burn a couple of tanks of gas and perform a LEGAL speed limit average of apprx 42 mph and find yourself at a minimum of 1000 miles within 24 hours.
It is more than easy and this is something one can build up over time.

So G-funk or others,
Dont wait UNTILL you Retire, grab the keys, maps, and fill the tank and go ride that Wing or if you feel this is not doable, give me the logistics and I will keep that wing in great running shape.

·
Registered
244 Posts
NOW THAT WAS WELL WRITTEN AND VERY IMPRESSIVE.
I must say that truly touched me. NEVER in all my years of V-twin riding have I heard such a statement.

GOD BLESS THE MIGHTY WING AND THOSE THAT RIDE THEM. 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you for the reality check. As I turned 50 Nov. 2 my thoughts about
work work work have changed. Life will run off and leave you if you let.
Ride while it is the the time of your season. God only knows when you will lose your chance. LIVE WITH NO REGETS

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G-funk pens;
NEVER in all my years of V-twin riding have I heard such a statement.

G man, trust me, you may not of" Heard" such statements, butt, i personally know many Harley LONG Distance types.
google V. Hauck.
or Harley Trash.
verne is a 100,000 mile club member. He also completed more than half of that while still teaching school

there are many that have ridden their Harleys a fefw miles. even some Harley Dealers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
QUOTE :
For myself, as it has been written; "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." -Robert Louis Stevenson

That pretty well says it for me, too.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
cdogbt1sw03033 said:
So G-funk or others,
Don't wait UNTIL you Retire, grab the keys, maps, and fill the tank and go
Well spoken cdog. Listen to this folks, especially if you haven't experienced any of the later years of life yet. The months WILL start going past like days and the years will be disappearing at a frightful rate. And you will be wishing you had "done that" instead of reminiscing about how much you enjoyed doing it.
Thanks cdog :yes1:
DC

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Well written. While it's not a great deal, this year I've ridden some 20k while working F/T. Last year I was able to get in 29k. Over the 5 years since first purchasing a motorcycle, I've logged nearly 90k, one trip at a time.

I ride when I can and love the distance touring.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Last time I checked, Vern Haulk retired the Harley and is now riding a Beemer or something else... He seems not to be brand specific in his rides.

Matter of fact, I just tried to find the motorcycle data base but it appears to be no longer in service... Always enjoyed that one :cry:

Anyone know where the data based moved or is it now dead ???

JMHO 8)

G

·
Interesting post. I started riding in 1964 with my then bride to be. Since then, she and I have covered over 1,000,000 miles on two wheels, and have visited every state in the continental US and much of Canada.
People always asked why we are spending all our time/money traveling now and not waiting until retirement.
In December of 2000, she was diagnosed with luekemia. After spending more than $2,000,000 trying to save her life, she went to be with the Lord in July of 2002. There is the answer to that question. Do it while you can!
Because of a physical problem of my own that required a lot of cash, I had to part with my beloved 03 GL 1800. But not before God blessed me with a new wife who I got to share a trip to Nova Scotia with two years ago. 7,000 of some of the best miles I have ever put on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
******* said:
Interesting post. I started riding in 1964 with my then bride to be. Since then, she and I have covered over 1,000,000 miles on two wheels, and have visited every state in the continental US and much of Canada.
People always asked why we are spending all our time/money traveling now and not waiting until retirement.
In December of 2000, she was diagnosed with luekemia. After spending more than $2,000,000 trying to save her life, she went to be with the Lord in July of 2002. There is the answer to that question. Do it while you can!
Because of a physical problem of my own that required a lot of cash, I had to part with my beloved 03 GL 1800. But not before God blessed me with a new wife who I got to share a trip to Nova Scotia with two years ago. 7,000 of some of the best miles I have ever put on a motorcycle!
Sage Advice! No man is guranteed tommorow!

I'm truly glad to hear life goes on for you..

G

·
QuickScribbles said:
******* said:
Thank you! And hopefully there is another Wing in our future!

G

·
QuickScribbles said:
******* said:

Oops, I did that last one wrong. I meant to thank you!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toLast time I checked, Vern Haulk retired the Harley and is now riding a Beemer or something else... He seems not to be brand specific in his rides.

Verne was on a BUELL ULY. i beleve he is ready to finish wearing it out and maybe looking for some others to try out.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
More Harley's have completed official Iron Butt rides than Honda has !!

Go look it up on the Ironbutt association pages

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
KA7W said:
More Harley's have completed official Iron Butt rides than Honda has !!

Go look it up on the Ironbutt association pages

JMHO 8)
For a more accurate comparison, compare the number of Harleys on the road and the percentage that have done the Iron Butt.

Now do the same for Honda's and you'll get a better picture.

·
Registered
482 Posts
KA7W said:
Last time I checked, Vern Haulk retired the Harley and is now riding a Beemer or something else... He seems not to be brand specific in his rides.

Matter of fact, I just tried to find the motorcycle data base but it appears to be no longer in service... Always enjoyed that one :cry:

Anyone know where the data based moved or is it now dead ???

JMHO 8)
You mean this one?

http://www.ncmotorcyclists.com/miles_database.asp

·
Registered
495 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Well spoken cdog. Listen to this folks, especially if you haven't experienced any of the later years of life yet. The months WILL start going past like days and the years will be disappearing at a frightful rate. And you will be wishing you had "done that" instead of reminiscing about how much you enjoyed doing it.
Thanks cdog :yes1:
DC
As Dream Catcher said, that feeling struck me about a year ago. My life had started passing me by way too fast. I had been too busy with kids, and work. My list of things I wanted to do had been growing! I decided to start chopping away at that list before it is too late.

It isn't about where you go, or on what you go on, as long as you stop making excuses for why you can't. There'll be no regrets that "I didn't have enough time" when I go!

When I do go, I hope it's doing something I really love. That way I can say "damn, that was great!"

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
trewn

No, that was not the data base I was talking about. But, on that base you posted, I am 15 down from the top on that list, Used to be much closer to the top but started to fall back a bit as I got older LOL...

I was talking about the official Iron Butt Riders ...

Goto to the page, give it some time to load, Lots of info in it.....
http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm

Then enjoy and become educated about LD Rides...

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just what cdogbt1sw03033 has said is so true. This was well written and to the point.

I am new to the board and have been mostly reading posts. I have been riding for the past 33 years (with a 10 year break in the middle) and have always been into the custom bikes. I sold my Yamaha Midnight Star (which I customed out first and then sold a couple weeks later) about 8 months ago and had decided not to ride anymore. Well, a few months later I found myself at the Honda dealership just looking at bikes and getting prices. I have always wanted a GW since I was 21 years old but could never afford one. Well, that day at the dealership I sat on my now 06 Titanium GW and fell in love with it and found I was missing the ride so I bought it.

Long story short, my wife of 17 years (come November 11th) has never wanted anything to do with a motorcycle (hence the 10 year absence). A little over four years ago, my wife suffered a brain anyurisim in which she survied. 95 percent of those who have this do not survive, my wife was lucky. Today she has short term memory loss and her right had shakes badly. After two years, I was able to get her to drive again and to be dependent (somewhat) on herself. After her ordeal (I would say about 6 months) she started talking to me about how short life can be and she wanted to start expriencing life. The biggest thing she wanted to do was to be able to ride with me on the bike. I got her on the yamaha and we started riding together for the first time in 15 years.

A year ago, I suffered a heart attack (I'm only 48 was 47 then) and had a quadruple by-pass done. This was one of the reasons why I sold my yamaha, was afraid I might have a heart attack while riding. This was a stupid but, at the same time good decision. To explain that, if I didn't sell the yamaha, I wouldn't have the wing today.

Well, since getting the GW, the wife and I have been riding every weekend and planning trips. This coming Sunday (11-12-06) we are taking off from Dunnellon Fl to Marathon Fl for a few days and then over to Saniabel Island Fl for a few days. More trips are planned like running the TN mountains this spring, cruising up to Yellowstone in the summer and somewhere in between there we are going up to PA to see the Amish country. I must say this, the wing has brought my wife and I closer together and enjoying life a lot more than we used to. Before, it was always about work, kids and unfortunately each other seperately. Now it is all about each other together.

Life is short, enjoy it while you can and do the things you want to do because tomorrow may be your last day on earth. Ride while you can, go nowhere and return somewhere and see what you have learned for that day, and notice the joy you had.

To everyone, enjoy each and every ride like it was your last, because you never know, it just might be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts