GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am picking up my new wing tonight and i was wondering when my wife got onto my 1800 x i was always sitting on the bike for balance.
the other day when i took the goldwing for a test ride because of the back rest for me and the arm rests for her it would of been a little harder for her to get on with me on the bike.
the dealer told me that it was ok for her to get on before i do!
is that the way you all do it?
it worked out ok and everything looked stable but a little scary at first!
don't need the bike with her to go over!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have the back rest and the arm rest on my bike as well, I get on first, the wife likes to have me to hold on too for balance, she's not comfortable on there by herself. I have seen others do it the other way but I need more room to swing my leg over.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I too have the rider's back rest and she has the arm rest and still my wife gets on our Wing first by grabbing the handlebar, stepping on her left floorboard and swinging her right leg over the seat.

Getting off, I get off first, then put the rider's back rest down and she swings her right leg over and slides off while I grab her right hand with mine.

While mounting or dismounting, I put the Wing's gear box in first gear....it ain't going anywhere!

·
Registered
741 Posts
My wife always gets on first. She weighs about 112 lbs. She's done this for over 250,000 miles on 5 different GL1800's.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Wife on first and off second. She steps with left foot and then turns and puts right leg over. I have to be careful about the left pass. board rubber pad. Her twisting will pop it out of its mounting holes and I have almost lost it several times.

·
Registered
297 Posts
who's on first..

The wife gets on first. She is "larger" and like bnordt, we have to keep an eye on rubber insert..No problem~!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Depends on you and your wife's weight, leg length, and physical abilities. We are all different in that. I'm tall enough to flat-foot the bike easily. My wife has some bad joints, so I get on (I use the kick-stretch over method), start the bike, raise the kickstand, and place it in gear. While I hold the clutch in and steady the bike, she steps on the left floorboard and then over and sets. Takes her a moment to get settled, and then we can ride. She weighs a bit, so I really have to hold it firmly while she mounts. She doesn't use armrests, and I remove the Utopia when she is with me, preferring to use her for my backrest instead.

·
Registered
528 Posts
When my wife rides with me, she gets on first with the bike on the side stand. I then get on and stand the bike up and go. If you don't have strong leg muscles it could be difficult.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Me being left handed, I mount from the right side. So I stand on the right, offer my wife a hand, she steps on her left floorboard, w/left foot, then kinda does the step through like I do. She's the first on, then she kinda slides off second. The sliding off may change when I get my backrest.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm on first and off 2nd. I get on the wing, get hooked up and when I stand up the wife get on, now words needed. When we stop,bike on side stand and I stand up, wife grabs my sholder for balance and get off. been working good this way for 30 years.

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
I'm on first and off 2nd. I get on the wing, get hooked up and when I stand up the wife get on, now words needed. When we stop,bike on side stand and I stand up, wife grabs my sholder for balance and get off. been working good this way for 30 years.
Plus one

·
Registered
340 Posts
1st on, last off

No driver back rest, do have Kury passenger arm rest. From the left side, I get on 1st, using left handgrip and left rear passenger armrest to steady myself. She grasps my upper left arm, steps up onto her floorboard, and places her right leg over the seat. Bike is not running, is in neutral (unless on a slope). I have left foot firmly planted on the ground, and front (right hand) brake is strongly applied after I'm aboard. We then hook up head sets, I ask if she's ready, then I start up, check audio stuff for settings.

Dismount as follows. Bike stopped, side stand down, engine off. She waits 'till I tell her OK, then she makes her move!!! Getting off this thing is more difficult than getting on. Once again she takes hold of my upper left arm, kind of slides off and down with her left foot, then kind of bounces away from the bike while pulling her right foot over the seat. She always has to remember to move away a little to give me room, I'm not as graceful or coordinated as I once was. Then I grab the left handgrip, start moving (sliding?) my left foot away from the bike, maybe bouncing a little myself. The tough part is getting my right foot up and over the seat. I don't throw it up and back over the passenger seat, just kinda drag it over my seat.

I wonder if the fact that we're 74 (me) and 73 years young has anything to do with the difficulty level?? :hb2:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Seems everyone does it differently and it works for them

For us...I get on first, motor off/in first gear/on the Baker stand...wife climbs aboard then we start up and go

I would be nervous about having the engine running and motorcycle in gear while the passenger climbs aboard.

Dismount...put motorcycle on the Baker stand,motorcycle off and in gear...wife climbs off, then me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get on first. Leave the bike on the side stand. Wife will get on using her left foot 1st. I then stand the bike up and off we go.
When I stop and want to dismount, I put the bike on the side stand, I get off and help her off by taking her right hand.

Done this for years

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Wife on first, off second.

Me being left handed, I mount from the right side. So I stand on the right, offer my wife a hand, she steps on her left floorboard, w/left foot, then kinda does the step through like I do. She's the first on, then she kinda slides off second. The sliding off may change when I get my backrest.
I have to ask, what does "being left-handed" have to do with how you mount and dismount?:shrug:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Always on first/off second. When not using the baker stand, I hold the bike up flat foot and steady, GF uses my shoulder for support and mounts up. I keep the side stand down just in case she were to catch a leg mounting/dismounting and throw us off balance. Just a little insurance. Start up and ride off.
That baker stand is in use 90% of the time on stops however unless ground surface or slope are an issue.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I generally get on and steady the bike while she gets on, but her first should be fine. We've done it that way, and it's worked fine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts