GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took My son in laws 2001 Harley flhtc for a ride on Sun. I thought that it would be cool to ride a Harley again. Boy was I in for a surprise. I went for a 6 mile ride and by the time I got back home My hands were numb and My legs were almost vibrated to numbness. I was sooo glad to get back on My wing. No looking back to my decision to buy the wing.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Coot,

That was a no brainer. The wing has it all over the hog for comfort and durability.

I am glad that you got to reaffirm your wing purchase decision.

Happy Holidays

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Been there done that 2 times.

I guess once wasn't enough. For the guys that love them, good for you. I don't need the "cool" factor. I'm more into comfort & handleing !!!

G

·
0 Posts
And you can sit in traffic on a hot summer day on your Honda without the risk of overheating! :wink: (V-Rod excluded)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Been there done that 2 times.

BlueWing said:
I guess once wasn't enough. For the guys that love them, good for you. I don't need the "cool" factor. I'm more into comfort & handleing !!!
Regarding the "cool factor", I happen to think that being able to comfortably out run and out handle a good majority of the bikes out there on a 880 pound (wet weight) tourer is pretty cool. Course, I'm one that likes 'em all!! What can I say?? I'm hard core...biker chick, that is! :angle1:

·
Registered
73 Posts
..you ride a touring harley 6mi. and your legs and hands are numb from the vibration? a '01? I ride a 1800 and a road king. And even though I would perfer the 1800 on a long trip, the road king and other touring harleys can make long trips w/ ease. The '01 harley tourers are rubber mounted.....so I would take issue w/ your claim. I cant understand why some here like to bash the harleys, and some on the harley boards love to bash the goldwing.....cant we all just get along?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Friend of mine has a 99 Road King. He goes everywhere we go...Sturgis..Montana..KeyWest. I have not heard a complaint from him or his wife. He likes Harleys and I like My Wing. We just get along

:yw1:

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen that shockwave before, pretty funny. However, I'd have to admit that Harley's have come a long way in terms of reliability and quality, at least since the AMF days. Two things still boggle me, though. One is the fact that most of the product line (besides the V-Rod, which I absolutely love, but it's mostly Buell and Porsche anyway) is still air cooled. This does not make sense in today's day and age. Also, the pricing is outrageous, and you don't get more bike for your money, that's for sure. It's pretty blatant you're just paying extra for the name. :roll:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since I have one of each I can tell it to you like this........My Wing is like a new Lexus, lots of features, high technology, very smooth and quiet, plenty of power, handles great, rides beautiful. The Harley (02 Fatboy) is like a 1960's American muscle car , It makes alot of noise, vibrates a little, doesn't handle all that well, rides a little rough BUT You can put custome paint and chrome and big bore kits and loud pipes and have a blast just as if you were a kid with a hot rod.
The Lexus does everything better, but the hot rod is still fun to ride!!! :lol:

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Blue_Knight said:
..you ride a touring harley 6mi. and your legs and hands are numb from the vibration? a '01? I ride a 1800 and a road king. And even though I would perfer the 1800 on a long trip, the road king and other touring harleys can make long trips w/ ease. The '01 harley tourers are rubber mounted.....so I would take issue w/ your claim. I cant understand why some here like to bash the harleys, and some on the harley boards love to bash the goldwing.....cant we all just get along?
You Harley guys have done it to yourselves...your macho image which looks foolish, your loud pipes that make the caged pubic grimmace with hate toward motorcycles....your Harley is inferior in so many ways that I won't even begin to list them here. The average Harley rider is just another poor guy that has fallen for an expensive lie. It's not that we can't get along...we just pity you.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Some get it right

Blue Knight and yellowfever have it down. rickyd is confused a bit. I have said this many times, they are all good. The modern HD is a wonderful bike, cant say nuthin bad aboot it. I like the hot rod anology yellowfever posted. Try to hop up a wing, it will cost you way more that hopping up a Harley. In this season of our Lords birth, we should try to be nice, one step further, try to be nice for a whole year. Can anyone go that long with out saying or posting anything negative? I do not think I can but am going to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the good fortune to spend a lot of time on several touring bikes this past year. I became the owner of a '97 GL1500 Aspencade, my father bought a '03 GL1800 and I borrowed a '03 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI from a local dealer where I moonlight occasionally.

The truth is there is nothing like the Gold Wing. But there is also nothing like the Harley. They are both very different interpretations of the same theme. If you want a Gold Wing, you'll be unhappy if you purchase a Harley tourer....and if it's a Harley tourer you want you'll be unhappy with a Gold Wing. There's no direct comparison. One is a modern juggernaut and one is a timeless classic.

One other thing....since I own a H-D product and a Honda I visit a lot of websites on both sides of the fence. Invariably it's the Gold Wing owners who post about how Harleys are this or that. Harley riders seem content with their purchases such that they don't really seem to post about other makes. Just wondering why so many Wing riders feel the need to denigrate Harley-Davidson?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey, rickeyd. I like motorcycles, any kind, quiet or loud, street or strip, off-road or on road, two-stroke or four-stroke. I've owned Triumph (old) Norton, BSA, Parrila, Benneli, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, Buell, Rokon, Bultaco, and probably a few more that I've forgotten. I liked every one of them, some more than others. I've ridden for almost 40 years. So whats my point? I'll tell you! If all you want to do is piss and moan about somebody else's motorcycle, why don't you just sell yours and take up some other hobby! Nuff said!

·
Registered
73 Posts
rickeyd.....I own a Goldwing as well as a Harley, so Im trying to figure out what you mean by "You guys". And you use the the term "we pity you"...I really dont think many Goldwing riders will agree w/ you on that. Also, you need not worry about me buying into the "expensive lie", it was my $$, not yours.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Who in their right state of mind would buy a Harley-Davidson? Must be somebody that likes them. Harley has 60% of the US market over 600cc. LOL!! They're doing something right!

If one of "You Guys" (chuckle) has a HD Ultra or RK that you want me to babysit over the winter, let me know! :D I might even wash and wax it before I give it back in the spring! :lol:

I don't really give a rip what anyone else rides. I didn't buy it for them and I don't remember anyone buying mine except for me, myself, & I! :(

Blue Knight....Do you deliver or would you like to schedule a time for me to pick it up? I might even change oil and filter while I have it. I shouldn't put more than 10,000 miles on it this winter. :D I rode 1,500 miles in the last ten days and only went for coffee! LOL!! I've had HD's since '69, I do know how to take care of it. 8)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like Im one of the "You Guys" Red...want to babysit this RK? :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buddy has Ultra

I ride a lot with a buddy that has an Ultra, I just try to keep him behind me so I can enjoy a quiter ride. I do like riding his bike for a change sometime, never rode a bike I didn't have fun on.
Jordan :D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts