GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the number of loud bikes on the road today, you ever feel outcast or different by riding a quiet Goldwing?

Some reactions I see/hear are:

Nice!

Who makes that thing?

Whoa, quiet bike.

Even some cage riders give the thumbs up......:yes1:

Approaching someones house: "I never heard you pull in." :lol:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Quite vs load

In my neighborhood I get several comments like "I am sure glad your bike is quite as early as you leave inthe morning". Or it is a long way to the main street to push it before startig it if it wasn't so quite.
It is nice to go unheard.

M

·
0 Posts
I like the idea of being able to hear the engine and radio when I ride.
Some will say that cagers will hear you better with a loud exhause when setting next to them at a light so they will not turn into you.
If I see some person yaking on a cell phone or not paying attension when setting next to them at a light, I will bump my horn. :thumbup:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I ride almost every weekend with a group - no one has a loud bike in the group - even the Harley rider has stock pipes so his is quiet with a little rumble. There are a few other Wings, Suzuki, Honda, everyone has stock pipes. Last weekend we had 8 riders - all quiet. Nice!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've gotten use to it

I had a VTX1800 with straight pipes. Last year when I got the Wing, I wasn't sure I liked the fact it was so quiet. But.....the more I ride it, the better I like it. I enjoy the power, and it has its own unique sound, when you get on it. I was in Wyoming last year, and a Harley guy(nice guy) had just shut his bike off, and asked me if mine was running. He said, "is that electric?" I just smiled, and told him no, and that the 7 Harley guys I was riding with, are doing their best to keep up.

Loving it more everytime I ride it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have always kept my bikes stock. Never have felt like a outcast or different, not that I worry about it or consider myself superior. I just tried to be considerate of my neighbors, and just prefer my bikes quiet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks like a lot of cities are starting to ban loud pipes. Even our Harley dealer now recommends leaving their pipes stock on their new bikes...:cool:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even our Harley dealer now recommends leaving their pipes stock on their new bikes...:cool:
Unless of course they can get some slick to pay $400.00 for some scream'n eagle pipes, installed.
Big bucks in their pockets.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The neighbors don't care if mine is quiet, they have already left on the HD's or Kawasaki Vulcans with straight pipes. All the other neighbors are up by the time I leave due to the loud bikes. And they still don't hear me go by. I like it like that and have never missed loud pipes in traffic. I try to ride so that it doesn't matter if they don't see me.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
i just wake people up and annoy them with the radio. :thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I ride with my kids they bug me cause my bikes so quite. Well I just turn on outside speakers full blast and drown them out. OO HO ROCK ON!:eek::22yikes:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unless of course they can get some slick to pay $400.00 for some scream'n eagle pipes, installed.
RIGHT.....They had one on display for $35,000 Had every scream'n eagle thing on it you could buy. Salesman said it would really haul ass. I asked how many HP with all that stuff on it? He said around 98 HP like that was a big deal..WOW and for only $35,000..LOL :shrug:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quiet for me is great - I have no desire to announce to the whole neighborhood that I head off to work at 4:30 each morning.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Of all the (many) comments I hear when riding, most are complimentary on how quiet the bike is. It's like something I learned early as a youth - a quiet man can get farther and faster than a noisy one - except in politics.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know a guy that paid double that....:wrong::eek:4:

·
Registered
747 Posts
While sitting in a left turn lane at Daytona, a fire truck approached from the right with lights and sirens. A group of HD's came down the road from behind us and they had the green light. It was clear that none of them could hear that fire truck which was VERY loud and there ended up a group of HD's slamming on their brakes in the middle of the intersection. The driver of the fire truck avoided the accident by seeing them comming and not entering the intersection. IMO, loud pipes cause more problems than they cure, not to mention the folks they annoy.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
While going to start the bikes, it was funny seeing the little kids covering thier ears.. The look on thier faces was hysterical when they realized they couldn't hear them once they were running!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts