GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding a Snowy Independence Pass; 2 June; Video -- GoPro Mount Pics Added

Smoky and I rode Independence Pass back on June 2nd about a week after it opened. Lots of snow and a beautiful day. I finally got around to editing some GoPro video that I shot that day. It can be viewed on my smugmug site at the following link:

http://davet.smugmug.com/Motorcycling/Motorcycle-Good-Times/17362514_tSNgWV#1353403305_N8hghhq-L-LB

It should come-up in mid-Def, which is what I recommend for your viewing. The FullHD is good also, but the Hi-Def does not convert well on smugmug. Depending upon your internet speed, you may want to let it download completely and then replay.

Couple of comments on the video and the GoPro:
  • I still need to post photos of my mounts now that I am home for a while.
  • The "wavy" effect seems to be the result of a frequency based upon the mounting location on the base of the windshield. I will probably do a little more experimenting with this and may try actually adding a short extension arm to see what that does.
  • The small (paper thin) spacer that I put between the base and the slide portion really eliminated the chatter vibration.
  • Important NOTE: When making big altitude/temperature changes, use the "open" case. With the sealed one I got some condensation on the inside of the case as we climbed. The open case would take care of that issue. Also, when filming a bike behind you, tell them to turn off their bright driving lights and use low beams!!!!!
  • NOTE 2: Check the case EVERY time you stop. Once it was a bug. This time the condensation. I found it before the last section of video, but would have had some good shorts, but..............
  • NOTE 3: Some of the video is a little on the dark side as I lowered the brightness when editing to help make the condensation less visible.

R

·
0 Posts
Music by Cold Play ?

cold, arctic, chilly, cool, frigid, frosty, gelid, glacial, icy :cool:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
By the way, I've experimented with several different camera types for shooting video on the bike, and I think I've found about every wrong thing you can do when making video. Once in California I filmed almost half of hwy 36 with my lipstick camera mounted upside down. Didn't discover it till days later when I reviewed the video only to find the whole video was upside down.

I've also found the the higher the definition the video is shot in, the worse it shows vibration. Actually some of the best video I've done from the bike was from an old Hi8mm camcorder. The stuff I've done in Hi Def is pretty hard to watch due to the vibration issue. And when you turn on the image stabilization features, it usually results in wavy-ness in the video and distortion.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
That would have been so cool to have just ran across you that day. I remember running in to Wimpy on the Coronado Trail unexpectedly -- very cool.
I don't know if you remember or not, but a few years ago Diane and I went right by you at the top of Wolfe Creek pass. We seem to have a knack for hitting the same passes on the same day.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Great video.....makes me want to be there....!

Nice choice of music too.
A band that I drummed for played Drops Of Jupiter...great tune!

Mike

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
That would have been so cool to have just ran across you that day. I remember running in to Wimpy on the Coronado Trail unexpectedly -- very cool.
Dave its a small world when we are out on the bike looking foward to the next time.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Great video! Heck, I even had to get up and go turn the air conditioner off watching that! LOL

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wingnutz, I'll make you a sweatheart of a deal. I'll trade you houses in the summer. You can summer in Texas and winter in Colorado, and I'll do the reverse.
Wow, wonder why I am not jumping at that deal!!! 9:30am. 73 deg. Blue sky. Humidity 17%.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Another great video man.

Jack McGraw (another member and GoPro shooter) had a little of the same waviness in one of the last videos he posted - I thought I was losing my mind. yours is more pronounced but I'm pretty sure he was shooting wide 720P.

I've mounted the camera just above the lettering on the Wing and haven't seen that problem yet, but we could have different electronics up in that area.

Had the same condensation issue first time out and solved it the same way.

You using Powerdirector?

I'm using a helmet-cam now (posted on a couple of extensions) so I can pan on demand. I'm liking that a lot. I'm assuming you're using the suction cup mount.

I have a couple of really nice Manfrotto joystick tripod heads that I'm working on a rig for - should give me the best of both worlds. Primarily focusing on this one:

It locks instantly but gives quick adjustment capability with a pull of the trigger grip.

I'd like to see your mounts.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some had asked about photos of my GoPro Mount used. Photos below. Still got to get rid of the wavey harmonic -- perhaps a slightly longer arm.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was up there at that time. Was able to take in Mt Evans and Trail Ridge Road. Both were full of snow. Actually anytime we went above 9 -10K we found snow.
Love your state by the way! I'll be back!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I was eating @ the Hungry Bear yesterday....looked on the wall, and guess who's picture I saw?? Do you have reserved seating there?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
We were up there the previous Friday... Snow piled up to the eaves of the restroom buildings.... I have video of the trip up from Aspen, and back down again.. haven't had time to look at it...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was eating @ the Hungry Bear yesterday....looked on the wall, and guess who's picture I saw?? Do you have reserved seating there?
That's funny! Not reserved seating, but I am a regular for sure! I think that they just thought it was a photo of another bear!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The rubbery nature of the video is the result of something called "rolling shutter", which is a fundamental problem with CMOS video sensors. You can read about it here if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

The only way to get rid of it when shooting high amplitude, low frequency motion is to use a different video camera. I don't think changing the camera mounting location will help much, if at all. :-(

The "wavy" effect seems to be the result of a frequency based upon the mounting location on the base of the windshield. I will probably do a little more experimenting with this and may try actually adding a short extension arm to see what that does.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Dave, that is really a great new picture in your sig line. You look like a happy man.............

·
Registered
792 Posts
Some had asked about photos of my GoPro Mount used. Photos below. Still got to get rid of the wavey harmonic -- perhaps a slightly longer arm.

Longer arm may indeed work. I woulda bet you were using the suction cup. I use the suction cup and mount just below where you are (just above the fairing vent) and have no issues with distortion.

Don't know if you have something there that I don't that would cause it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts