GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to winterize my '03 GL1800 and change the oil and filter a couple days ago, not planning on another ride.

Well........ tomorrow it will be 65, and would like to go on a maybe my last ride.

My question is:
If I ride say, 50-80 miles after a fresh oil change and store my 1800 for the winter, will it have any effect on the engine sitting idol for 3-4 months
after putting on that amount of miles after a fresh oil change?

Thanks

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Wouldn't bother me a bit. If it bothers you... change the oil again. But wouldn't that be a waste?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
My question is: If I ride say, 50-80 miles after a fresh oil change and store my 1800 for the winter, will it have any effect on the engine sitting idol for 3-4 monthsafter putting on that amount of miles after a fresh oil change?

Thanks
The only concern is that you get the engine up to operating temp and keep it there to burn off any gas or water that got into it from starting & idling (gas) or humidity/condensation (water). 50 (s)miles ought to do it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
If I ride say, 50-80 miles after a fresh oil change and store my 1800 for the winter, will it have any effect on the engine sitting idol for 3-4 months after putting on that amount of miles after a fresh oil change?
yes. you should take at least a 200 mile ride. ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just got a feeling that your bike won't be sitting for 3-4 months. There is bound to be a couple days when the temps will tempt you and out the bike will come for another quick ride!! :lol:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I heard that! Mine come out for a little exercise at least once a month minimum.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've had so many 'false starts' over the years in terms of winterizing. You just get them all done and then a beautiful day comes along and out you go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts