GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how long this thread will last but maybe long enough for me to get an idea on timing. I am scheduled for a full knee replacement in a few weeks. The doc says he cannot tell me when I will be riding again. All he'll say is that he will want to see me on my feet, or foot, the night of the surgery and that most people take two weeks off work.

My question is, has any one here had knee surgery (replacement) and how long was it till you were on the bike again?

Larryb

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had mine 10/16/13 and was on the bike in January for short rides. Partly because I live in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I do not know how long this thread will last but maybe long enough for me to get an idea on timing. I am scheduled for a full knee replacement in a few weeks. The doc says he cannot tell me when I will be riding again. All he'll say is that he will want to see me on my feet, or foot, the night of the surgery and that most people take two weeks off work.

My question is, has any one here had knee surgery (replacement) and how long was it till you were on the bike again?

Larryb
I'm having a kidney taken out in a few weeks like you i wonder how long i'll be down.I have a Aunt she's 70 had a knee replacement its been a month and she's walking good on a cane.She's not real active so you will propaly do better than here.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I had my Right knee replaces at the end of June 2012. I walked on it that evening in the hospital and started in-room therapy the next day. I had a therapist come to the house to do therapy 3 times a week for 3 weeks. I started therapy at the rehab center 3 days a week after that. I took my 1st ride on the wing 6 weeks to the day, after the surgery.

I cannot express to you how important it is to do the therapy--lots of therapy!! Do everything they ask you to do during the sessions and more, then do that again at home. Do it until it hurts and you think you cant do it any more. If it ain't hurting, you aren't doing enough. Work on getting it straightened out-that keeps you from walking with a limp. Work on that range of motion(ROM) so that you can mount the wing and get your feet on the pegs. Mounting and dismounting took some determination the 1st few times, in fact, it was easier from me to get on and off from the rh side for a while. Do the therapy and you will be fine! Mark

PS: get a ice water circulating device that wraps around your knee and USE it after the therapy sessions!!!!!

btw--I was 55 years old- 6"2" 325 lbs and was not particularly in good shape. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Larryb
Everyone will recover very differently. Your current physical fitness, and how seriously you take your physical therapy are huge factors. Of course, any complications in the surgery, or recovery will also have an impact. Recovery can vary greatly depending on these factors. I would venture to say anywhere from a few months to over a year of recovery before you will be back on the bike. If you are currently physically active, and are not severely overweight those will bode well for your recovery. I'm sure your Dr. will be able to give you a much better idea as he sees your recovery begin.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I'm having a kidney taken out in a few weeks like you i wonder how long i'll be down.I have a Aunt she's 70 had a knee replacement its been a month and she's walking good on a cane.She's not real active so you will propaly do better than here.
Ref his knee replacement.. I can see the reluctance about putting the weight of a wing on a replaced knee too soon.. BUT as for the kidney surgery.. I had to have emergency gall bladder removal surgery.. I was back on the bike within a week.. Just no LD rides for a month or so until every thing inside got used to working again

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had my right hip done in 2009 and my left in 2010. With both, the Dr told me to stay off for 12 weeks. With both, I road at 11 weeks for short rides. Even though you may be feeling good, they don't want you loosing your balance and tearing something up. I know knees are a little bit tougher on you initially, but I think overall healing is faster for people.

I have a friend that was back riding at 10 weeks after his knee replacement. Biggest thing is don't push it, so you don't screw up the rest of the summer!!! :roll: You won't regret it. I didn't realize I was in so much pain, until I had them replaced.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
As mentioned earlier there is no magic answer to your question. I had my left replaced and rode in six weeks with complete range of motion. I had my right replaced in November of 2013 and it continues to tighten up a bit after therapy. I can loosen it up, have ridden with a bit of discomfort and continue to do home therapy and Rec Center machine bending. Again each knee will be different so the answer is do the operation and the therapy as long as it takes.
I did tell my therapist that the knees had to support a 1,000 lbs not including riders. To that end I did weight work as well as range of motion.
Do not limp. Us a walker, crutches or cane as weight bearing allows but do not limp. Your back and other leg will suffer.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gall Gladder Removal

Ref his knee replacement.. I can see the reluctance about putting the weight of a wing on a replaced knee too soon.. BUT as for the kidney surgery.. I had to have emergency gall bladder removal surgery.. I was back on the bike within a week.. Just no LD rides for a month or so until every thing inside got used to working again
Guess your gall bladder was removed the "old fashioned way" vs the "laser" way....recovery is a lot quicker using the laser method...but usually recovery from a true surgical removal is usually several weeks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Knee Replacement

Larryb
12 weeks after knee replacement - Don in NM

·
Registered
150 Posts
Everyone is different. I'd say your ready when you are comfortable walking and doing well with physical therapy. Just remember that this little stint off the bike is only temporary and you have the rest of your life to live. So make the best of the bad situation and make sure you get through PT!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had my right knee replaced three times. The last time they installed rods in the bone above and below the knee to help stabilize it. Have it done now and you should be good to go by summer. Probably six weeks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
As has been said: do the physical therapy as recommended; push yourself as they rec, maybe even more. DO NOT GET IN TOO BIG A HURRY TO GET BACK ON THE BIKE! You need to make sure you are fully healed( minimum of 6-8 weeks) and reconditioned. Physical therapy is controlled movements. On the bike something could happen and cause unexpected stress on the knee, and if you aren't fully healed, you could mess up the knee and have to start all over, along with new pain. Push yourself in PT, and be ready to ride when you have healed properly. The length of time varies from person to person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts