GL1800Riders Forums banner

Morally and / or Ethically wrong to ride during coronavirus pandemic ?

• yes

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • no

Votes: 74 70.5%
  • under certain circumstances or allowances

Votes: 16 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am wondering as to what riders think about riding during this pandemic. OK, Bad idea, Selfish or not and why in responses. Please keep responses civil .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll leave discussions of morality and ethics to the clerics among us, but legally as a Virginia resident, EO #55 does not preclude riding. Exemption (e).

......Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

(e). Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals
comply with social distancing requirements;

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our take is that this is a "we're all in this together" moment, so we've chosen to not ride. Our neighbors, close-by and farther out, are adhering to the essential stuff; groceries, pharmacy, essential jobs, etc. In fact, I'm impressed by their actions.

I wouldn't feel right - we always ride two up so it's pretty obvious we're off on a fun ride. Some of our close friends are struggling with the mental challenges of this, and not riding shows some empathy for their plight.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'll leave discussions of morality and ethics to the clerics among us, but legally as a Virginia resident, EO #55 does not preclude riding. Exemption (e).

......Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

(e). Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals
comply with social distancing requirements;
Same guidelines as Alabama.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Weather is perfect here in the Sonoran desert. Traffic is light. Great time to be out riding respecting the social guidelines that have been established.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz Emergency Executive Order 20-20:
"Driving for Pleasure" is allowed (Exemption) as long as social distancing is followed.

No moral or ethical issue here.......but I do ride within the boundaries of Minnesota.

·
Registered
107 Posts
my only issue would be when or if hospitals in my area are over capacity... then I wouldn’t want to potentially make it worse for me and them if I was in an accident.
on the positive side, it is great riding now without cars. It really makes a difference and reduces our biggest risk. So I’m riding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeh, I've been off work for a week now one more to go , I'm pushing 800 miles.
I always keep my social distance, and it's a great way to put your worries aside, and I have to say the traffic on the roads is nice.
Pbr

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here in Alabama lots of folks are riding - it's considered "wind therapy" and necessary for one's psychological well being. Plus, the Governor's directive does not preclude getting outside so long a proper social distancing is observed. So, instead of riding someplace to spend money (eating, sightseeing, etc.), we just ride to be riding. And, it's okay. If you're worried about filling a spot in the hospital because of some fear of crashing... I have two options - 1) don't crash (this is the most obvious), and 2) don't ride (also kinda obvious). If I didn't ride, I might put somebody in the hospital! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
So, you REALLY want to ride at a time like this? All joking aside, nobody NEEDS to ride, unless you're still working, or going for food or meds.

Scenario:

You live in a low density, rural area with little traffic. Of course you take precautions. You don't plan to stop for gas, food or have contact with anybody. You're safe, right?

A deer or other animal JUMPS into the side of you (don't smirk, it happened to a friend in Idaho) and you crash. So now you're placing demand on first responders, police, EMTs, volunteer firefighters to help you. It's a needless deman on medical infrastructure already under stress.

Or, you're the first to come upon a motor vehicle accident, and people are injured. So, mow you're not going to provide assistance? Really?

The main threat I see, especially in rural areas that are not yet exhibiting COVID-19 infections, is that if cases do eventually show up in the community, rural hospitals don't have the ICU capacity if the virus becomes widespread.

The best way to stop the spread of COVID-19 is for everybody to stay home.

As the medical officials are saying in my part of the world, "Stay home. Stay safe."

And as an editorial comment, where are all those posters who a week ago were saying the Coronavirus was just media hype? Fer cryin' out loud, they're building frickin field hospitals in parts of the U.S. and Canada.

My moto friends and I typically ride 20-30,000 km a year. While it's not quite riding season here, EVERYBODY here is staying home.

Tim

·
Registered
572 Posts
So, you REALLY want to ride at a time like this? All joking aside, nobody NEEDS to ride, unless you're still working, or going for food or meds.

Scenario:

You live in a low density, rural area with little traffic. Of course you take precautions. You don't plan to stop for gas, food or have contact with anybody. You're safe, right?

A deer or other animal JUMPS into the side of you (don't smirk, it happened to a friend in Idaho) and you crash. So now you're placing demand on first responders, police, EMTs, volunteer firefighters to help you. It's a needless deman on medical infrastructure already under stress.

Or, you're the first to come upon a motor vehicle accident, and people are injured. So, mow you're not going to provide assistance? Really?

The main threat I see, especially in rural areas that are not yet exhibiting COVID-19 infections, is that if cases do eventually show up in the community, rural hospitals don't have the ICU capacity if the virus becomes widespread.

As the medical officials are saying in my part of the world, "Stay home. Stay safe."

And as an editorial comment, where are all those posters who a week ago were saying the Coronavirus was just media hype? Fer cryin' out loud, they're building frickin field hospitals in parts of the U.S. and Canada.

My moto friends and I typically ride 20-30,000 km a year. While it's not quite riding season here, EVERYBODY here is staying home.

Tim
You walk out to your mailbox at 10am on a Thursday looking for that 1200$ stimulus check. Half way to the box you trip in the driveway, fall and break a leg or hip. Accidents can happen any where at anytime no matter what you’re doing.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

Scenario:

Tim
Can't stop living......
I'm not breaking any laws and living within the Executive orders given.
I'm riding every chance I get......best social distancing possible IMHO.

Accidents can happen anywhere, at any time......sorry but I'm not locking myself in the closet.

You do what works for you and makes you feel good about the situation......I'm doing the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a solo event, unless you want to start distantsing vehicles as well--and I'd still win that argument because I stay away from cars as well. Since I paid a s#!* ton of taxes, insurance, and annual licensing fees, I ride whenever I feel like it.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Miles n smiles daily!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been out riding and will do so as long as I am able. Stop for food, maybe. But what is the difference if I am home and do curbside pick up at a local eatery? Just saying.... My mental health is as important as anything. As far as getting into an accident, I could do that going to work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I go to the grocery store I put on my mask and nitrile gloves, I get done shopping I dispose of the gloves and place the mask in a bag for next week. I go for a ride, I put on all my gear and enjoy myself. I take all the precautions asked of me by my state and local officials and abide by the orders put out. My conscious is clear. Everyday I am breathing an accident can happen no matter where I am at. One thing I know for sure people will die everyday virus or not and I will get the most out of everyday I can.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Other than simply following the excellent "Stay at Home" logic; the second best reason seems to be the usual possibility of involuntarily visiting a hospital due to an even minor M/C accident. During these times it may make for an excellent argument against going for a ride right now. If you don't have COVID-19, visiting a Hospital for any reason is just not a real good idea IMHO. On the other hand, I don't see anything ethically wrong with going for a ride. Well . . . . unless you take pictures of it and then share/flaunt them here or on Facebook. 'Cause that would just NOT be nice!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Am wondering as to what riders think about riding during this pandemic. OK, Bad idea, Selfish or not and why in responses. Please keep responses civil .
I asked my friends and family this same question last week on FB (pasted below). To a person they all said no problem, and that was in about 25 replies. Some cautioned me about the gas pumps but that was a different issue. FWIW, I've ridden a lot during the stay home order but as you can see in my question, I live in a rural location.

COVID-19 Question
I live 3 miles outside of a town. Do you think I am doing anything unsafe for my community by riding my motorcycle on rural roads in the middle of nowhere? Even when I buy gas I have no human interaction, using my credit card to pay at the pump.
For my part, I look at this as the equivalent of going to a local park. However, I do see other cycles out, too, and don't want to give people yet another reason to stereotype motorcyclists negatively.
Please give me your honest answer...I've got my Kevlar underwear on! 😬

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.