GL1800Riders Forums banner

Riding Gear Info Request

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  T-88 
#1 ·
Not wanting to pollute this thread: "Dressing for Success- Motorcycle gear for hot-weather riding." I’d like to know if it’s it possible to get any kind of consensus with regard to which brand and model “Gore-Tex” jacket and over-pant is best for this discussed extreme heat but also works well for very cold conditions? I understand I’ll have to add my heated liner for the colder weather, as usual. Or did I just start an oil thread? I’m ready for new gear and I’d like to be able to do it with one year-round riding outfit that is also waterproof. I’d also like to be able to do it without breaking the bank. Yes, I’ve done some research. It all just runs together after a while. Asking too much? Like Travolta said in the movie Wild Hogs, "I just wanna ride man." I don't want to use all my packing space with hot and cold weather gear and I don't want to be changing clothes on the side of the road (as in the past).

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
There is no consensus because the same thing does not work for all people. You will have to find something that works for you. There are lots of popular options including Aerostitch, MotoPort, Olympia, TourMaster, Klim and many others. Most have GoreTex or some very similar alternative. Prices range from pretty cheap to relatively expensive. I do not recommend you “save money” on gear. Get what will work for you and plan to use it for 10+ years. I recommend getting it custom made for you by MotoPort or Aerostitch, but many have gotten off the shelf gear from other suppliers and been very happy with the result.

#3 ·
I’d like to know if it’s it possible to get any kind of consensus with regard to which brand and model “Gore-Tex” jacket and over-pant is best for this discussed extreme heat but also works well for very cold conditions?

No.

#4 ·
I have quite a few jackets that I've acquired over the years. But when I'm going on any sort of an extended multi-day trip I always fall back on my First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket, Harley Davidson Rain Gear and Gerbing Heated Gloves and Jacket Liner. Haven't come across anything weather-wise, from summers in the desert to snow in Yellowstone that have made me wish for something more, or less.

Reactions: Glockjock
#6 ·
When going to any riding event, I think it is unusual to see any two people with the same gear. Everyone is different in their needs and wants. On my trip last month I took a pair of Klim mesh pants and carried a wind and water proof outer pant for cool mornings and rain. Took the same gear to Colorado last June. My jacket is a First Gear mesh jacket with a wind proof liner. I always have an electric jacket liner for the cold mornings.

During the winter months I have a pair of Klim Gore Tex pants and a Motoport Canyon jacket with two liners.

Really wish I could find something for year around wear, but with the extremes we have, I don't see a way to do that.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Really wish I could find something for year around wear, but with the extremes we have, I don't see a way to do that.
Hope this helps.
Monk, I just use my Aerostitch Roadcrafter with LDComforts in summer and down to about 40,then I add heated jacket and pants liners.

Reactions: igetaround
#8 ·
Just to stay on the First Gear ticket. I have the Kathmandu over pants. Comes with a liner. The one day this year that I rode that was "cold", started out at 45 degrees, I just put on thermal under wear. Usually just wearing my Duluth Armachillos under there. Legs were absolutely fine. I just got an Alpine start Anders Drystar v2 jacket. I put the liner in that morning and was just fine. Got it large enough that I could put a sweat shirt on also. Can wear that jacket up to about 85. Had it on today when the temps hit low 80"s. Just opened the vent and hit 75 on the highway. Very comfortable. If the temps get treal warm I have a tourmaster mesh jacket. Honestly though I can't remember the last time I put that on. Now if I could just find some gloves that aren't bulky so I can feel the grips and keep my hands warm, I'll be all set till the snow starts to fly.

#10 · (Edited)
On a 2 day ride from Alaska to Vancouver the weather went from 7C to 31C so about 45 to 88 and was fairly comfortable. Colder 30 - 45F, I add a fleece neck gaiter and handlebar heat. The fleece neck looks like this:

Snow Winter Tree Freezing Goggles

My boots seem OK in any weather but under 45 I use a warmer thinner sock.

I have some $5 rubber boot covers that keep the boots completely dry.

My pants are white cotton and I use Frogg Toggs over top if wet or cold. The white reflects heat when hot.

My jacket is a Tourmaster Advanced so I can remove linings and open vents. At 90F it will be hot but there is a trick and I rode for an hour at 5mph due to traffic jam and was comfortable.

So heres the trick:: You want to wick away sweat so I found Hanes Cool Comfort underwear and that works. I also have Heattech underwear that I bought for an Antarctic trip and it keeps you very warm. Oddly I decided to use both on my 45 - 88 degree trip and that worked. The underwear packs into the size of a Ziplock sandwich bag.

As the temperature rose I kept thinking I should stop and change but I just took off the lining. When I got home my jacket/helmet was soaked but I was dry and comfortable

Tourmaster Advanced $165
Timberline Hiking Boots $120
Rubber boot covers $5
Frogg Toggs $45
Fleece Neck $10
Hanes Cool Comfort $5
Airism wicking undershirt $15
Heattech long john set $30

So about $400 and very comfortable in most weather, packs small and my bank is OK. All bought on-line, delivered in 3 - 5 days and sized correctly.

#11 ·
<...> I’m ready for new gear and I’d like to be able to do it with one year-round riding outfit that is also waterproof. I’d also like to be able to do it without breaking the bank. Yes, I’ve done some research. It all just runs together after a while. Asking too much?
People will drop up to $3000 for a solution - that might not actually be a solution. o_O

So, already stated by others, thus no need to echo the 'every man is different' theme in the choices that's out there. There's been substantial developments in gear, and many of them come from other styles of motorcycle riding (think adventure riding, for example) rather than touring-style.

Let me tackle the query this way. Have you been to one or more places to see/touch/ask questions about the various products out there?

Around me, there's not too many places, so I had to expand my personal search a few years ago. A two-hour trip, and a few more hours in three different stores. I got to do a bit of that 'see/touch/ask questions' routine. Some good stuff, but really wasn't what I thought I wanted.

So, a six-hour trip to another store months later, and another two hours. Much more complete selection, along with stuff on the rack to be able to try on. (y) Success.

Consider that your base layers is as much a part of the system as the outer wear. That's a discussion that's also been fully flogged around here as well.

I tend to prepare better for heat & cold versus dry & wet. A 50 degree temp swing on a single day's ride will become possible very soon.

My comments may not necessarily help you on a choice, but hopefully it helps on the perseverance needed to find what you're looking for.

#12 ·
For hot weather here in Texas, its always hot here, 100 degrees on an average summer day, and 60 degrees during winter, except the one or two weeks where it might get to the 30's... hahaha.
During summer I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that I have had for 15 or so years and Cortech summer riding gloves, and a pair of Diamond gusset kevlar riding jeans with mesh tactical boots.
Colder weather I use my Tourmaster with liner and full leather gloves that are insulated with silk liners. Wear thermals under the same Diamond Gusset riding jeans and Cortech waterproof boots.

#14 ·
Not wanting to pollute this thread: "Dressing for Success- Motorcycle gear for hot-weather riding." I’d like to know if it’s it possible to get any kind of consensus with regard to which brand and model “Gore-Tex” jacket and over-pant is best for this discussed extreme heat but also works well for very cold conditions? I understand I’ll have to add my heated liner for the colder weather, as usual. Or did I just start an oil thread? I’m ready for new gear and I’d like to be able to do it with one year-round riding outfit that is also waterproof. I’d also like to be able to do it without breaking the bank. Yes, I’ve done some research. It all just runs together after a while. Asking too much? Like Travolta said in the movie Wild Hogs, "I just wanna ride man." I don't want to use all my packing space with hot and cold weather gear and I don't want to be changing clothes on the side of the road (as in the past).

Thanks in advance.
The link below is one of my many posts on Klim riding gear. If you want to see more of my comments just do an Advanced Search for "Klim" by user "doug.crocker".

We have been riding long distance in Klim for over 7 years now and never have to worry about being Too Cold, Too Hot or Too Wet. Best of all we don't have to carry much of the extra clothing we used to pack.

Yes, Klim is expensive but it will be the last riding Jacket and Pant combo you will purchase. It can be difficult to find a Klim dealer locally with a good selection. I purchased through Revzilla online, ordered a couple different sizes and returned for minimal shipping the sizes that did fit as well.

Good Luck

Klim Riding Jacket & Pant

#16 ·
I second the vote for Klim. I have the Lattitude also and paired with LD Comfort undergarments it is the go to riding gear for my wife and I.
We just got back to Texas from Rockies Gold and packed all we needed in our 2018 DCT Tour bags. Temps went from the 90’s down to 42 in the passes and we were comfortable the entire time. We brought our heated jacket liners but I never even took mine out of the bike. My wife discovered the wonders of the LD Comfort wicking and evaporative cooling on this trip and now she is convinced that she does not need any of the excess of clothes she used to pack on longer trips.
Klim also has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser and a 5 year full replacement if you crash while wearing their gear.
Yes they are expensive but I have sold almost all of my other riding gear to help offset the cost of the Klim gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
First, I’d like to thank each of you for your responses. I’ve read enough of your posts since joining to appreciate your experience and opinions.
Consensus was a poor choice of words on my part. Maybe I can explain better where this all came from. When I tour, especially in the west, temperatures can change drastically in a relatively short period of time from the very cold mountain elevations to the very hot valleys and deserts – nothing you guys don’t already know. Historically, I have had to carry two complete sets of gear; mesh jacket/pants and heavy Fieldsheer jacket/pants with pant liner and heated jacket liner. This cold weather gear is bulky and takes up a lot of room when packed. When leaving the mountains to the heat extremes one cannot stay in that heavy gear very long before having to change-out.
So, in the thread “Dressing for Success- Motorcycle gear for hot-weather riding” I see a video of this man named Kevin explaining how he kept cool in the 94ish degree heat wearing the same gear he wore a day before in 30-degree temps. Presumably there is science behind it so I’m open to trying. I understand the theory but I’ve always subscribed to the idea of flowing air through mesh when it’s hot, and still I sweat like crazy. Let’s omit the base-layer needs as I understand it and use them. I also read where many of you use your primary gear in the rain just by zipping/closing the vents. I can do the same with my winter garb as it’s waterproof but not with my mesh so I still need to carry rain gear as well.
I guess I was looking for ideas that would allow me to use one set of outerwear while only needing to change the internal liners. After more thought I see that plan is probably moot. Maybe get away with it for the jacket but for the pants I’d still find myself undressing somewhere adding or removing liners.
doug.crocker: I’ll certainly check-out your Klim info

#17 ·
I guess I was looking for ideas that would allow me to use one set of outerwear while only needing to change the internal liners. After more thought I see that plan is probably moot. Maybe get away with it for the jacket but for the pants I’d still find myself undressing somewhere adding or removing liners.
doug.crocker: I’ll certainly check-out your Klim info
I haven't found your riding pant comment to be true with my Klim Badlands Pro pants. I usually wear a light to medium weight pair of Klim leggings under my Klim Pants and ride comfortably from 45 to 105 degrees. I've ridden long distance in 20 to 45 degrees with Under Armour heavy weight leggings and a Warm & Safe Heat Layer shirt.

The Heat Layer shirt applies more heat directly to the body compared to my Warm & Safe jacket liner and the shirt packs much smaller.

#18 ·
Glad you clarified your requirements. (I've been accused of being "holier than thou" after posting snarky remarks when folks who post questions like, 'what's the best modular helmet?' or 'what are the best boots?' It's such a personal choice when it comes to how something fits another person.

But now you've specified your PERFORMANCE requirements (the need to have apparel that could possibly be used from extreme cold to extreme heat something we motorcyclists in Western Canada face - it's not uncommon for mid-July morning temperatures to be 7 degrees Celsius then heat up to 29 degrees Celsius later in the day), I'll offer this suggestion.

The Olympia Expedition II jacket EXPEDITION II - Noir - M (243-618003) is a three layer jacket. It's main feature is it has front and rear zippered panels that roll down to reveal large MESH panels, making it close to a mesh jacket for hot weather. The jacket comes with a rain liner and a third, quilted liner for cold weather.

Do some investigation on your own, but I believe Alpinestars also makes a touring jacket with similar roll down panels that cover large mesh sections.

Two of my riding buddies wear "3-season" MESH jackets (BMW Air Flow and Rev-It Tornado (?)) which, like the Olympia Expedition II come with a rain liner and insulated inner jacket. These guys back their 3-layer jackets with electric vests for very cold weather.

Good luck.

Tim

#19 ·
I'd like to respond to you all individually but that would make for a long post. Just know I appreciate you taking the time to try and help. I'll be looking at all of your suggestions and hopefully find what I need. Guess we can throw that "breaking the bank" comment out. Top tier equipment you guys have noted here. That's alright. If I can replace four pieces of gear with two pieces it'll likely be about the same money. I believe the suggestion to take the time to drive where the equipment can be touched and tried before purchase is sound and I plan to look into that, depending on distance.
Respectfully,

#23 ·
Interesting 'problem.'

I toured last week into south central British Columbia wearing thin, mositure-wicking longjohns under Klim ventilated riding pants.

Temperatures dipped down to a frigid 3 degrees Celsius in the mountain passes and later in the day climbed to a hot for us Canadians twenty nine degrees Celsius. I was warm, but comfortable enough without removing my longjohns by opening the front and rear vents of the Klim pants. Of course, everyone has a different comfort range for ambient temperature.

Edit: To me there's little difference in stripping down to LD riding shorts in public than there is to stripping down to swim trunks.

Tim

#24 ·
Firstly I own the following motorcycle pants.

One pair Olympia mesh pants

One pair Revit Sand Pants

Two pairs of Revit Jersey jeans

Two pairs of Klim Latitude Misano pants in both black and light grey

One pair of Rukka ROR pants

And One pair of Scorpian Seattle overpants

If I were to recommend a pair of all around pants to a non gear junky like myself it would be the Scorpian Seattle pants. Just check out the video on Revzilla. For reference I'm 6 ft and weigh 150 pounds with a 34 inseam and I have a pair in size large. If you look at Hi Viz Brian he is wearing a large but he is bursting out of those pants. One caveat is they come ready for tailoring if they are too long. They fit my 34 inseam out of the box.. Also, if they are too long there is a string that tightens them up around your boot. Also, check out all those waterproof pockets. And did I mention the price?

Check them out!

#25 ·
Besides the issue of being comfortable in varied weather, IMHO the most important issue is protection in the unlikely but realistic event of an accident. After doing much research I ultimately chose Motoport Kevlar blended riding gear. With a bit of layering over and under the Motoport gear I can be comfortable to ride in just about any weather a reasonable person would consider safe for riding a motorcycle.

#26 ·
As others have said, you won’t get a consensus. You will get a LOT of opinions. I’m the guy who started the “Dressing for success” thread, and I’ll add a few more of my opinions here. There have already been a lot of excellent opinions posted, so this may be redundant.

My standard riding gear is suitable for all four seasons, with a few additions for extremes. I wear MotoPort stretch Kevlar, but for this conversation of comfort any heavy textile riding suit will work. For example, if I hadn’t got a good deal on MotoPort, I would still be wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket for year-round use. The brand becomes very important for safety, and that’s why I prefer MotoPort.

Wear a base layer of wicking fabric such as LD Comfort shorts and t-shirt year-round. On top of that goes your heavy textile jacket, pants, waterproof boots, and gloves. You’re all set for everything but cold rain and extreme cold. I’ve done iron-butt rides through West Texas in 114º F. heat with the full MotoPort gear.

I do not use any liners that would require undressing to zip in a liner. The exception is that I will wear a Gerbing heated jacket liner under my MotoPort jacket if it is too cold without the electrics. I found that if I can keep my core and hands warm I just don’t need the electric pants. If I were to ride for hours in 30º F. weather I might change my mind.

Summer rain doesn’t bother me, for my suit does not absorb water and will quickly dry when the rain stops. If the rain makes me cold however, it is time to put the rain suit (I use Frog Toggs) OVER my riding suit. The gore-tex fabrics have the advantage here over my MotoPort stretch Kevlar, for apparently with gore-tex one doesn’t need any rain gear.

#27 ·
Glockjock,
Yes, I was aware you authored that post and I have read through it several times. Thank You! I'm liking this Klim gear (jackets mostly). I like the pants also just wish they were an over-pant style. For me, having an ankle-to-hip zipper just makes life easier. I'm using information from those like yourself that have used the gear and searching for what I think will work best for my needs. I sincerely appreciate all the contributions.

#29 ·
#28 ·
I live on the left coast, where we are currently in the middle of another week of 100*+ temps (108 today, and 121 on my back porch). My year round riding gear is MotoPort - mesh Kevlar jacket and stretch Kevlar pants. I almost always carry the jacket liner with me. When the weather begins to change, or if I am headed out of my local, local riding area, I throw in the heated jacket, gloves, and socks. That will keep me comfortable down to temps where the likely hood of ice and snow are more than a theoretical possibility. The Baker hand wings keep the cold air off my hands so that the grip warmers and/or heated gloves keep my hands warm enough.

I ride with that gear as over gear in this silly heat as well - I wear jeans under the Kevlar pants. If I know it's going to be 100*+ for several days on the road, I may change to a light weight casual pants or shorts (you do not want to see me in shorts and riding boots - trust me on that). I'm fine with the heat, while others are not.

The MotoPort gear was built to spec, and I expect will last me 10-15 years, easily. I just hope I'm still riding pushing 90.

Just another data point. YMMV

jdg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.