GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 97 here today in Tucson, but Fall riding weather is coming. I would like some opinions on a good tour jacket. The good, the bad, and the ugly is fine. I don't mind paying for quality and comfort, I could care less about the name. I will need to get one for the Minister of Finance as well, so ladies chime in as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It is 97 here today in Tucson, but Fall riding weather is coming. I would like some opinions on a good tour jacket. The good, the bad, and the ugly is fine. I don't mind paying for quality and comfort, I could care less about the name. I will need to get one for the Minister of Finance as well, so ladies chime in as well.

Thanks!
Either Motoport stretch Kelvar Ulta II or a "Stitch" Roadcrafter. I wear the Motoport year around, one suit does it all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wife and I picked up the Bilt Typhoon 3/4 Touring Jackets at Cycle Gear. They were on sale for $99. Very nice. Have used it in cold weather and rain and just plain chilly weather. Very roomy and comfortable, too. Check the web site, I think they are on sale again this month.

BTW, we used First Gear Kilamanjaro jackets before these. Never liked them very much, and the Bilt Jackets are far superior, IMHO.

S

·
0 Posts
One thing that I would consider if you wish to ride with a jacket in the heat is to stay away from black.
I have a silver Joe Rocket that works fine in the 70-85 range but the black is only used in 40-60 degree range never in any hot conditions. Anything over 85 and all jackets go.
Most jackets are black so it's limited as to choices in the light colors. This is mostly due to the fashion look and less to practicality.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
One thing that I would consider if you wish to ride with a jacket in the heat is to stay away from black.
I have a silver Joe Rocket that works fine in the 70-85 range but the black is only used in 40-60 degree range never in any hot conditions. Anything over 85 and all jackets go.
Most jackets are black so it's limited as to choices in the light colors. This is mostly due to the fashion look and less to practicality.

Mostly misinformation. Kelvar transmits very little heat, there is no appreciable difference between a black stretch Kelvar jacket and any of the other colors. Once temps go much over 85F it is cooler to wear a riding jacket than not. Wearing a black jacket is very practical, shows less dirt, bugs, and other crap, just be sure it has good reflective.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies so far, I still have my Hein Gericke Leather Jacket from my Connie days. It looks a little Euro Techno Pop for a Wing though.:lol:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've had good luck with Olympia Motorsports gear. The Bushwhacker jacket and Airglide pants work well in warm weather and with the liners they're good down into the 40's. Should work ok in your neighborhood and not break the bank.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have decided on the Motoport Ultra 2, not sure between the stretch kevlar or the mesh kevlar. I am leaning toward the mesh, but am planning on calling them tomorrow to discuss the options. Expensive but gets good reviews.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have decided on the Motoport Ultra 2, not sure between the stretch kevlar or the mesh kevlar. I am leaning toward the mesh, but am planning on calling them tomorrow to discuss the options. Expensive but gets good reviews.
The mesh will be useable from the teens or lower to 100* with the 2 part liner and LDC gear. It is not as flexible as the stretch kevlar temperature wise & without the liner is comfortable from roughly 60* to about 90*. The mesh works best in areas where the temp is fairly steady rather than where there are big fluctuations. We had about 25*-30* variations last week here & while riding to work in 75-80 felt good, riding home in low 50's with the liner out got a bit chilly. I have read where out west people have went from 30's to 90's coming down from the mountains in one day, mesh wouldn't be good for this. Good choice on going with Motoport, it is top quality gear. I have the quad armor upgrade on mine & once you are on the bike you hardly notice it's on & now that I'm used to it I can even run around in stores with it & not be bothered. Bubba1 knows what he's talking about, the kevlar doesn't transmit heat & it is cooler standing in the blazing sun in full gear than in jeans & a t-shirt. Around here for the next few years I will continue using the mesh but once I can start touring when the kids are older I will get a textile jacket. One more thing about the mesh, it is very abrasive so if you get mesh pants you will want to get some tank protectors to keep from scuffing it up. I have the both the kevlar winter & kevlar racing gloves and recommend them, the winter gloves are waterproof & the racing gloves are vented & wearable to 100*+ without being uncomfortable or causing excess sweating.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The mesh will be useable from the teens or lower to 100* with the 2 part liner and LDC gear. It is not as flexible as the stretch kevlar temperature wise & without the liner is comfortable from roughly 60* to about 90*. The mesh works best in areas where the temp is fairly steady rather than where there are big fluctuations. We had about 25*-30* variations last week here & while riding to work in 75-80 felt good, riding home in low 50's with the liner out got a bit chilly. I have read where out west people have went from 30's to 90's coming down from the mountains in one day, mesh wouldn't be good for this. Good choice on going with Motoport, it is top quality gear. I have the quad armor upgrade on mine & once you are on the bike you hardly notice it's on & now that I'm used to it I can even run around in stores with it & not be bothered. Bubba1 knows what he's talking about, the kevlar doesn't transmit heat & it is cooler standing in the blazing sun in full gear than in jeans & a t-shirt. Around here for the next few years I will continue using the mesh but once I can start touring when the kids are older I will get a textile jacket. One more thing about the mesh, it is very abrasive so if you get mesh pants you will want to get some tank protectors to keep from scuffing it up. I have the both the kevlar winter & kevlar racing gloves and recommend them, the winter gloves are waterproof & the racing gloves are vented & wearable to 100*+ without being uncomfortable or causing excess sweating.
Good info...the mesh pants wear your saddle out as well, I love the way they, Kelvar mesh pants, hold you to the seat. The first ride with the stretch Kelvar pants I thought I was going to side off the bike they were so slick.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is just no one answer to it all. Different areas require different tactics.

Up there in Arizona land and if cost is not a factor, all that has been said is true.

Down here in the south it is a different ball game. Put all that stuff on and some LD comfort on under it all, soak it all down with water and you start to see steam coming up under your helmet face shield. Get caught in slow traffic with 103 degree temps and about 80 percent humidity and Whew!!! You will melt.

Yesterday it was nice, only about 78 degrees, but the humidity was 70 percent, so it still got muggy and sticky. Of course at those temps it is not a life threatening issue, or a danger, but mesh gear sure is more comfortable. In temps over 90 degrees around here you just have to use a lot of water, keep yourself wet and the only defense is air flow. Or evaporative cooling.

Once it gets a bit cooler I switch to solid gear down here too, or sometimes take two jackets with me. One for morning and one for the afternoon.

You just have to go with the flow, no one answer to it.

But up there in the West, dry, hot, solid gear is best, and keeping your face shield shut is best. Open it up and it feels like a blast furnace.

In the south it traps all the humidity and steam and Whew..........

Kit

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great replies all, thanks. The west can see temp extremes in a single day. I am ashamed to say I have never really owned good touring gear for all the bikes I have owned, simply because they were for day trips. The Wing is getting me in the longer multi-day trip mood. The input is fantastic and that is why I am here. I am old enough that feeling good and comfortable trumps all other considerations.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket, and love it. Good for winter through about 80 degrees, much hotter and I need something cooler to wear.

Just closed all my vents two days ago, nice and toasty on 50ish degree mornings now. Rode with mine with the liner in in 30 degree weather a lot last winter, and with a layer or two under it, I was fine.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Totally agree. I have used Tourmaster and Olympia jackets/pants and they are good, but the Motoport is the best, hands down. I wear my Mesh jacket and pants all year around from lows in the teens to highs of 116. Cold I wear only my regular pants under the mesh pants, no problems. Under the jacket I use a Warm n Safe heated liner. Hot weather over 95 I use the Cool Rider vest.
I also have the kevlar gloves from Motoport, there were really stiff and little hard to break in, but now are the most comfortable gloves I have.
I like the high viz stuff as you can see in my picture below.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Totally agree. I have used Tourmaster and Olympia jackets/pants and they are good, but the Motoport is the best, hands down. I wear my Mesh jacket and pants all year around from lows in the teens to highs of 116. Cold I wear only my regular pants under the mesh pants, no problems. Under the jacket I use a Warm n Safe heated liner. Hot weather over 95 I use the Cool Rider vest.
I also have the kevlar gloves from Motoport, there were really stiff and little hard to break in, but now are the most comfortable gloves I have.
I like the high viz stuff as you can see in my picture below.

The picture is very low viz:joke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts