GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to this route. I don't have room for heated gear, AND rain gear...
I have the Klim Latitude Jacket and Badlands pant now for 5 years. My girlfriend has the Latitude jacket and Latitude pant. The Latitude pant fit her better, the Badlands pant fit me better. Girlfriend preferred the fit and overall protection of the Latitude jacket over the Klim women specific line.

If you are doing multi day distance riding then Klim is worth every penny. We do about 3 such trips every year and stay warm and dry despite riding through some really tough weather. At 90 plus degrees open the vents, see weather ahead and just zip closed the front vents, ride back out into the sun just open the front vents again. No need to stop.

To stay Cool and or Warm you have to wear a proper Base Layer under the Klim gear. I started with the Klim 1.0 base layer (long sleeve top and leggings). This wicks moisture away from your body and you can feel the cooling effect of the moisture evaporating. Klim came out with their -1.0 base layer last year which is even lighter and this is even better in Hot weather.

On Hot rides we are always cooler and more refreshed at the end of the day compared to our fellow riders that wear cotton. We end up having to pack a lot less since we are wearing our rain gear at all times. The added impact and abrasion protection is a big plus on long rides.
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for, and hoping to hear. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
it just depends on how long youre going. we did it for a 4 day trip. a 30 liter dry bag on the rack wouldve given us 10-14 more days. yes itd be much more convenient this way, especially not having to stop and dress. but i imagine keeping cool on 90 degree days would be tough. ill have to try that -1.0 base layer. i have a post on the trip forum as to what we packed.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it just depends on how long youre going. we did it for a 4 day trip. a 30 liter dry bag on the rack wouldve given us 10-14 more days. yes itd be much more convenient this way, especially not having to stop and dress. but i imagine keeping cool on 90 degree days would be tough. ill have to try that -1.0 base layer. i have a post on the trip forum as to what we packed.
We are running a truck bag, and hitch rack bag. We pack our clothing and toiletries in the removable bags, and take them in the hotel, very convenient. On my 2001 I reserved one saddle bag for heated gear, and rain gear. Now, with the 2018, both saddle bags are not enough room for that stuff, and a tool kit and tire repair stuff. I am ordering Klim jackets and base layers. I am very happy with the snowmobile jacket I bought.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We are running a truck bag, and hitch rack bag. We pack our clothing and toiletries in the removable bags, and take them in the hotel, very convenient. On my 2001 I reserved one saddle bag for heated gear, and rain gear. Now, with the 2018, both saddle bags are not enough room for that stuff, and a tool kit and tire repair stuff. I am ordering Klim jackets and base layers. I am very happy with the snowmobile jacket I bought.
Ive been thinking about a hitch rack. but being able to get what I did in mine AND the use of the 30 liter dry bag for the trunk rack, I wont need it. The most ill be gone would be 10-14 days at a stretch anyways and theres no camping for me. lol

In my left bag was a tool kit. (8 open end wrenches, a set of allen wrenches, 4 screwdrivers and a ratchet strap), an air compressor, can of plexus polish, tire plug kit, battery jumper, and zip ties), 2 pairs of gym shoes, and 2 rags. In the right was 2 sets of rain gear, nylon rain gloves, rain boot covers, and a rag. In the trunk, 8 pairs of socks, 8 skivvies, two pairs of jeans, four pairs of sweat pants, 6 shirts, tire gauge, cargo net 2 ball caps and a head lamp.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
BMW StreetGuard Suit with LD comfort underwear is my go to.

Care just enough to get through dinner and breakfast in street clothes and back in the riding suit.

Works great. I can carry enough street clothes for 2 weeks and just wear the suit for riding.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Klim makes very nice products. Another company that interest me is Rubber Side Down in Canada. I have delayed purchase in that I have lost weight and have more to go. They will custom build suits to your choice of colors, size and whatever features you like.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Works Well For Us

Pakit Rak set up on my 2018 Tour. I do have the Rivco trailer hitch installed on the bike.

This picture was taken last year on a trip by the wife and I on a 14 day trip to Nova Scotia. We had no issues with room with this set up and had room left over.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pakit Rak set up on my 2018 Tour. I do have the Rivco trailer hitch installed on the bike.

This picture was taken last year on a trip by the wife and I on a 14 day trip to Nova Scotia. We had no issues with room with this set up and had room left over.
This is the same as what we do. I like to leave my top case available for my laptop and miscellaneous. I use the saddle bags for gear that stays on the bike. Rain gear, heated gear, tire repair, etc.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My experience with the Klim Latitude jacket in hot weather:

I open up the cuffs around my wrists to allow air to flow freely up the sleeves and vent out the open arm pit vents and open vent on the back of the jacket. Open the air intake vents on the front upper side of each arm. On the Latitude jacket there are two upper chest pockets which are now mesh lined and can double as air intake vents if you leave them open.

Also the main front zipper zips from the Bottom-Up and from the Top-Down. So as the temps rise I usually open the bottom 6 inches or so for more air. On days when it's hot (95+ degrees) but no immediate threat of rain we will typically roll up the jackets and stow them on the back.

Girlfriend and I both have Black jacket and pants. As long as you are moving heat up to 95 degrees is not an issue. As rain approaches you just have to close the front air intake vents on the jacket and pants which is not difficult to do while riding with a little bit of practice. We have ridden through extended rain with jacket rear vent and arm pit vents open and the way they are designed no water enters. Same with the pants, just close the front intake vents and leave the exhaust vents open.

Of course as you approach rain, cloud cover increases and temps drop so closing the front air intake vents is no big deal. We have encountered situations where we went from 95 degrees and sun to 55 degrees with heavy rain and back to 95 degrees and sun within a 45 minute span while staying dry and comfortable without stopping.

On warm days when stopped simply remove your jacket. With the Klim -1.0 Base Layer top / leggings and the vents on the pants open you will be much more comfortable than fellow riders wearing jeans. Usually when we get to the hotel everyone races to their room to get their jeans and boots off. Meanwhile my girlfriend and I have a couple of Cold Ones in the parking lot in our Klim gear.

In 5 years I think I have washed my jacket and pants 3 times and they still look like near new. Just be sure to follow the very specific wash instructions by Klim. The black color can pick up a lot of bugs without looking dirty. Once in a while as bugs accumulate I'll take a stiff brush to the garment to knock most of the bug residue off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts