GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every winter, one of my favorite pastimes is making riding plans for the next season. Rarely, if ever, have I met my goals but it sure is fun trying. Does anybody else set these kinds of goals and are you successful in attaining them?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I do minimal planning: just pick a destination. My 2021 "plan" was this:
Water resources Ecoregion World Map Nature

But the border was closed so ended up with this.
Water Water resources World Map Ecoregion

Not much planning involved. Just packed a bunch of things I did not use and then looked at google maps to pick a reasonable riding distance for each day so I could be off the road by dusk. West to east was OK but east to west I gained an hour through time zones so ending up some places too early.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do minimal planning: just pick a destination. My 2021 "plan" was this:
View attachment 393731
But the border was closed so ended up with this.
View attachment 393730
Not much planning involved. Just packed a bunch of things I did not use and then looked at google maps to pick a reasonable riding distance for each day so I could be off the road by dusk. West to east was OK but east to west I gained an hour through time zones so ending up some places too early.
it would be awesome to have that kind of time

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
741 Posts
If the border stays open my bride and I are going to for a ride down the Alcan. Not sure where we are going but it's been two years with no rides so we are going to hit the road for about a month

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
My dream ride was fulfilled, a few years ago, wife and I flew to Alaska, (rented a bike) and toured around Alaska...........When we were tired, and all biked out, we just returned to the rental shop, handed the owner back his keys, and flew home.....My personal Honda sat in the garage, covered over, without any added mileage put on her.. BEST MOTRCYCLE VACATION EVER!!!

Ronnie
12/31/21

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
it would be awesome to have that kind of time
And money. At $100/night for a decent hotel, $25+ for fuel and another $25 for food and water adds up to $150/day. That's just over $1000/week. Not all of us have that much money to spend on travel when there's also other items like whiskey that may be needed to purchase.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes I do plan trips, places to see, and occasionally even the meal stops. But we mostly just climb aboard the trike and head out. I almost always have a direction but not necessarily a destination.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me, having a goal(s) for the year is a different than planning a trip. We are all wired differently and have different objectives and reasons to ride but I like to accomplish things and I simply cannot accomplish things without some sort of overall goal. For example: I set a goal to ride in all 50 states by the time I was 50 years old. Then, the planning began. Next, I wanted to visit every national park possible while riding a motorcycle. Again, it took three years and a lot of planning and execution to reach the goal. Both accomplishments required commitment and planning and there is no way I could have done them without goals.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I do spend the cold snowy winters looking at places to go and figuring how I might get there. I typically have more places on my list than I get to during the riding season. I will be 56 next month and I do keep a post retirement list of places that will require more time than I have now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I plan constantly and map out my entire year in January. This years goal is to ride the Gold Wing to Prudhoe Bay. Everything else is just incidental. Oh, and Rocky's Gold 2022, of course!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Goal is to ride more and with friends PERIOD.

Already working on that goal! Just came back from a short 75 mile ride on a sunny day around Seattle in the mid-40s riding in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains with 11 other riders. And yes, awesome burgers were involved.

·
Vendor
20,000 Posts
When I had my 4th gen Wing, I road 32k miles a year. 14 years later when I bought my first 5th gen, I made myself a promise to ride 24k a year. However, and since I no longer have a job where riding is a stress-releiver, now-a-days I doubt I get 5k a year.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The only time I really set goals for riding is when I do the Tour of Honor ride or the Pacific Northwest Grand Tour ride, other than that I just follow the front tire down the road.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tend to have big, longterm goals. Riding in 50 states by the time I was 50 years old took a few years as did visiting every national park possible on a motorcycle. Having my wife accompany me to all of those states and parks was the result of a goal, not just aimless wandering. Acquiring numerous IBA awards was a goal oriented endeavor. Those things mean a lot to us. At 67 y.o., I still have motorcycling goals, annual and longer term, even though they are not as aggressive as in the past.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As a few others have mentioned, my only real "goal" is to return home after each ride w/o incident to the bike and passengers.
Riding the motorcycles are time to enjoy and pass time, not the center of my life. No matter how much I enjoy the riding (both on pavement and off) it's not the prime concern to fill my time.
I find that each time I make long range plans something in life that's more important causes a detour, postponement or cancellation. We had a relatively short (1500 miles) circle tour of Lake Superior planned last spring. Border closure. South Dakota Black Hills for this past late fall. Employment change of job from riding partner. No big deal(s), plenty of things to do and places to ride around home solo.
Again have plans for the Lake Superior trip (rooms booked) this spring. Not very confident it will happen this time either. If not, I won't be all that disappointed and just have to keep on enjoying the local rides whenever the time and situation permits an enjoyable time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I normally don't, usually it's a case of ride as much as I can and still meet family obligations.

This year I gave myself 3 goals:

1) At least 1 multi-day trip with my son riding passenger. Thinking of riding the SW Ohio area.

2) 1 track day (obviously not the Goldwing :) )

3) Ride more with the informal FB group of riding buddies I have. I taught a lot of MSF classes last year and missed many rides with this group. This year I'm aiming for less teaching and more social rides.

#2 may be the only one that might not realistically happen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts