GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the folks that use Sena, Cardo or what ever Bluetooth Intercom system and ride in small groups, do you all stay connected for the entire ride or just connect from time to time during the ride.

A small group I ride with has gone from CB to Sena and although nice and clear communication it seems to work best when we stay connected. As one of more go in and out it gets to be a real pain.

Wondering how others connect.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
It does seem to be a pain. There are 3 of us in the legion riders who have comms. We usually put one in the lead, one at the tail and one in the middle. If we have a big group, we are always dropping out then coming back on. I have the 20 model, the other guys have 10's. When I ride with these guys the only way we can communicate is with an open mic and it seems like it only works when we are in a "line of sight". I also ride occassionally with another guy who also has the sena 20 and I can have my music on and the mics are closed until one of us speaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My normal riding group is three. We recently bought intercom systems. Two of us have Cardo PackTalks and one has a Cardo Freedom 4 (+). We rode on Saturday and it took us a long time to sync the headsets (bluetooth). We finally got them working and rode for about 3 hours. It was nice to be able to communicate while riding. One of us left the group and returned, he said that worked fine. I would much prefer to use the Cardo mesh. The rider with the Freedom 4 is going to return it and purchase a PackTalk. Having the ability to get GPS instructions, phone functionality and music and still communicate would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My wife and I use Sena SMH-10's and we leave them on all day.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
The new Mesh systems are a lot better than the old Sena 10 and 20. They allow riders to join or leave a group seamlessly and automatically. You probably need to upgrade to either Cardo or Sena that has a Mesh system.

The only thing I think that won't work, is a Cardo Mesh can't connect to a Sena Mesh, and vice versa. This means if you want to use Mesh, everyone has to have the same brand, which I don't like. FRS or CB is much better in this regard, as it doesn't matter what brand you have.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
The new Mesh systems are a lot better than the old Sena 10 and 20. They allow riders to join or leave a group seamlessly and automatically. You probably need to upgrade to either Cardo or Sena that has a Mesh system.

The only thing I think that won't work, is a Cardo Mesh can't connect to a Sena Mesh, and vice versa. This means if you want to use Mesh, everyone has to have the same brand, which I don't like. FRS or CB is much better in this regard, as it doesn't matter what brand you have.
However, if a Packtalk Bold group is running DMC (mesh) it is possible for a group member to patch in a rider that does not have mesh.

They will only have a connection thru the group member they are connected to, so must stay within range of that member for their group connection.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use my Sena 20s Evo with a Freewire unit to listen to music but prefer the CB in groups of three or more. I don't like to chat so the CB is for info mostly. Tried using bluetooth in groups but there is always someone who leaves their mic on or has their VOX set too sensitive.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I use my Sena to talk bike 2 bike only when I'm riding with Larry (Greyhound)...

I use it for incoming telephone calls only if not riding with Larry

Ronnie

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
The fact that riders must have the SAME BRAND in order to use Mesh is a huge step backwards. You can't control what brand other riders have. And the blue tooth "bridge" option for connecting a rider with another brand is cumbersome and difficult to do.

What Sena or Cardo need to do, is build a simple FRS communicator into their unit. This would solve the compatibility issue, the range issue, and provide crystal clear comm for bike-to-bike without any of the hassles and problems of bluetooth or mesh. With FRS you would just choose a channel like you did with CB. FRS can run on battery power easily, is small and light, and has zero static or squelch to mess with. I don't understand why the headset manufactures don't understand this.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I don't understand why the headset manufactures don't understand this.
I'm certain they understand this quite clearly...

Could it be related to FCC type acceptance issues?

Think back to the dilemma with some of the first GMRS & FRS radios in the same packaging that came out a couple of decades ago. Most people, once they recognized that GMRS was much more powerful/longer range decided "I'll use this instead!", and upset many that actually were licensed to use the GMRS band.

Yes, both Bluetooth (using 2.4 GHz ISM frequency bands...) and FRS (using much lower UHF frequencies) are using portions of unlicensed, uncontrolled frequency bands for their emissions.

The FCC's lack of regulation regarding this 'mesh' is what's to blame. Create a standard, force everyone beyond a certain date to comply, and there wouldn't be a problem with interoperability.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all that answered. For a second part of the question.......... Do you folks that ride in small groups stay "live" all the time or just connect when you want to talk to one or more others.
I have found if we all stay "live" all the time it works fine but if we connect and talk for a few minutes then disconnect for say a half hour, to reconnect requires push once to reconnect to #1 other rider, twice for #2 other rider and three times for #3 other rider to get us all back in a conversation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts