GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have owned my Goldwing for almost 3 years, yesterday was the very first time I was caught in a truly torrential downpour for about 20 miles of riding to get home. The Goldwing is truly awe inspiring, never missing a beat and feeling as sure footed as when riding on dry roads. I've owned cruisers in the past which were okay in the rain, but I always felt I had to slow down considerably, especially for braking. Yesterday I did slow down a bit, due to the very poor visibility during the rainstorm, but even the braking felt normal despite all the water around me. This Goldwing just is more and more impressive the longer that I have owned it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yesterday I did slow down a bit, due to the very poor visibility during the rainstorm, but even the braking felt normal despite all the water around me. This Goldwing just is more and more impressive the longer that I have owned it.
I used to have the same problem with my GL1500.

But now that I have my 2018 Charlton Heston model it parts the water so I don't ever have to worry about it:grin2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vito...like you, been there, done that and ditto on your sentiments about our GoldWings. Back in August 2017 on my way back home from Russelville, AR to Cincinnati aboard my brand spankin new 2016 Wing, I spent a long afternoon in the worse rain in my 56 years of riding motorcycles. Simple visibility was the real problem, especially around trucks. But like your Wing, mine navigated through the downpour like it just wasn't there. Not a drop in my paneers or trunk, and my brakes worked like a charm. I think we made good decisions in choosing our two-wheeled steeds. Appreciate your post! Full disclosure: I still don't like riding in rain :) :)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Some years ago, I had a 3 week class in Minot, ND and there was only 1 flight a day from Chicago. I wanted to ride so I took that option, which was not a good move, but fun nonetheless.

It was around 900 miles each way, and it was pouring rain for 1.5 out of the 2 day trip there, mainly nice when I got there, but the same coming back into ChicagoLand. 2 day trip with 1.5 days of rain.
The Wing handled fantastic, although the trucks blowing by me in the center and fast lanes caused reduced visibility, so I mainly rode around 45-55 mph. Lord knows I rode by MANY other riders hunched up underneath the overpasses and waved at them as I rode by.

Handling was great, but I didn't do 70-80 as usual. North of Bismarck, the weather cleared up nicely, and I think the speed limit was 75. Lots of open space, but the vast fields of Sunflowers were fantastic to look at, stretching as far as the eye can see.

I'll never forget that wonderful trip, rain and shine.

These were taken on Rte 83N from Bismarck, closer to Minot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I've been caught in several torrential downpours, most notably when coming home from Asheville NC. Took me over six hours to get home which would normally take about four. Some of the worst storms I've ever seen the entire way, but I had an important appointment the next day and didn't have the luxury of staying another day. The Wing was rock solid as usual. The only time I ever feel a little squirrelly on the Goldwing is when there are strong gust of crosswinds.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Although I have owned my Goldwing for almost 3 years, yesterday was the very first time I was caught in a truly torrential downpour for about 20 miles of riding to get home. The Goldwing is truly awe inspiring, never missing a beat and feeling as sure footed as when riding on dry roads. I've owned cruisers in the past which were okay in the rain, but I always felt I had to slow down considerably, especially for braking. Yesterday I did slow down a bit, due to the very poor visibility during the rainstorm, but even the braking felt normal despite all the water around me. This Goldwing just is more and more impressive the longer that I have owned it.
Vito your right the wing is a great bike in the rain. Even better with a tall windshield. Your smart about slowing down a bit if safe is always a good thing as long as there is perfect road drainage you will be safe day or night . I do a lot of rain riding here in Florida. The wing is one of a kind

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The Right Gear....makes the Ride Enjoyable!

Some years ago, I had a 3 week class in Minot, ND and there was only 1 flight a day from Chicago. I wanted to ride so I took that option, which was not a good move, but fun nonetheless.

It was around 900 miles each way, and it was pouring rain for 1.5 out of the 2 day trip there, mainly nice when I got there, but the same coming back into ChicagoLand. 2 day trip with 1.5 days of rain.
The Wing handled fantastic, although the trucks blowing by me in the center and fast lanes caused reduced visibility, so I mainly rode around 45-55 mph. Lord knows I rode by MANY other riders hunched up underneath the overpasses and waved at them as I rode by.

Handling was great, but I didn't do 70-80 as usual. North of Bismarck, the weather cleared up nicely, and I think the speed limit was 75. Lots of open space, but the vast fields of Sunflowers were fantastic to look at, stretching as far as the eye can see.

I'll never forget that wonderful trip, rain and shine.

These were taken on Rte 83N from Bismarck, closer to Minot.
@n9frp Looks like ya have the right gear to make that ride a joy too!!

Reactions: n9frp

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
First time I got caught in rain was at the 2006 Honda Hoot. I was on I-40 and it started to pour. I was "waiting for that breaking point" that I experienced on my other 2 bikes but the Gold Wing just kept hugging the road. I looked down at the speedometer and while I was not at the wings breaking point I was definitely beyond my comfort zone at 70+ mph - I immediately allowed the bike to slow down to 50 gradually.

In 2017 I was going through Florida on the west coast in August and the rains coming down had a visibility of less than 100 feet. When I could safely get off I-75 I made the exit. I was glad I had a BLACK wing instead of white or silver - at least I was black spot in front of the vehicles behind me LOL.

Reactions: n9frp

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was heading home from the Adirondacks last year and traveling south through Gettysburg when I hit the hardest rain I have ever seen. It was like hitting a wall of water.

I was on Rt. 15 (interstate) and the car in front of slowed to 15 mph. While my GoldWing was awesome in the deluge, I was terrified someone was going to run into me because the car in front was going so slow.

Visibility was horrible and I quickly took the next exit and sought refuge at a Sheetz. While pulling under the gas pump awning the bike died & I coasted in. I never felt so wet.

After the rain stopped, I tried the bike and it would start and not idle. We discussed it on the forum, and the consensus was the plug wires probably got wet. After I ran the bike a few miles, it cleared up by itself.

No question this bike is GREAT in the rain. But like any machine, too much water in the wrong place is going to cause trouble. I am just glad:

1/ I did not get water into the intake

2/ No one ran into me on the highway

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes, with great tires and good wet weather riding skills, the Wing is a great bike. And I know, ride all seasons in Seattle.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Same here the Wing is the best I’ve ridden in the rain for sure!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've ridden in many downpours, but it did take me a few years to become reasonably comfortable with the bike's handling on wet roads. Probably the biggest factor that helped were the Bridgestone tires I always had. They did give me a measure of confidence.
As for the bikes design, I found that once up to highway speeds the only part of me that got wet were my gloves and forearms. Otherwise the rest of me stayed dry. My S. O. on the other hand....
We did have one uplifting experience on a wet ride. Heading home from the coast, three of the four hours were heavy rain, but part way along my wife told me to look at the car beside us. I looked a saw a woman in the passenger seat. She was smiling and giving us the thumbs up. How cool was that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got to ride my new to me 2006 in the rain the other day. Felt very confident. I had to try a power on acceleration in 2nd gear. Wow the horse power broke the rear tire loose but never a real concern. Just had to keep from getting throttle happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts