GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on a late Jan. early Feb. ride. Based out of Las Vegas & heading mostly to northern Az. Can I get some input on roads that I must ride. Now for the specifics. My riding buddy (V-Strom) wants to try the road from Peach Springs (Rt 66) down to the river. I will be on my wing. I have no Baha experience. Maybe I should read a magazine while he checks this road out. thanks in advance. Sandy

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
There are two roads north in that area. The one from peach springs heading north and I think slightly west I've never been on. It won't take you to the water. It will take you to the canyon. It's condition is unknow to me but my advice to you would be to skip it. Not a good idea. the other road is slightly east of Peach Springs and heads up to Supai. From there you can hike, ride a horse, or take a copter to Havasu canyon and falls. You need a permit for this. About the only places you can ride to the water are in the lake mead area and the Lees Ferry area on 89A The canyon is a hike only.

I also needed to add that generally the roads are good at that time of the year. By that I Mean I-40, 89 and 89A also 180. However on any given week there could be storms with snow and the area around Flagstaff can be particularly nasty in snow. Check ahead just prior to your trip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bring a jacket!You will definitely need it this time of year unless you come down to the river around Bullhead City or Lake Havasu and points further south. Wind can be an issue too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Very nice to be able to read these posts and get some information. I have only been in Arizona for a short time and love to hear someone give advice on roads in the area.
Well, back to lurk mode.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wing597
There is a road into the north rim from Peach Springs,and I think you can get in there with a 1800 ok if it is dry.Its about 50 miles off of Rt66,with the last 15 mi unpaved.Everything north of Rt66 is Hualapai Indian Res,and they are doing a lot of developing for tourists along the south rim on the res.It is where the Grand Canyon Skywalk is being built.I would contact the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs for any info. 928-769-2230
Check the sites below:

http://www.arizonahandbook.com/Hualapai.htm

http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/indexe.html

Yes there is a road to the river (Diamond Creek Road)but not a very good road.Its described on the handbook site.
That area has a ton of interesting history,well worth the time.I hope it works for you.If the time fits and the WX is good,maybe I can meet you there.
Safe Riding

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The only road I have on my map is BIA 6 north from Peach springs and is the one I referenced above. If that is the Diamond Creek road mentioned then it says if the road is in good condition then a carefully driven car can navigate it. Seems rather iffy for a wing. I have to express doubt about any dirt road on the reservation. Like I said I've never been on it, but I would hate to go in there just for that road. Always nice to go to Supai and hike down into Havasu Canyon though :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts