GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be heading into Canada this summer. Will get a seperate insurance card for the motorcycle and will have my passport, but what else will I need to be aware of ? Your advise is appreciated.

THANKS,

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
BIGBIKE said:
Will be heading into Canada this summer. Will get a seperate insurance card for the motorcycle and will have my passport, but what else will I need to be aware of ? Your advise is appreciated.
I dont know thatyou'll need separate insurance. It's not like going to mexico. Im pretty sure your USA Insurance is valid there..., just as my Canadian insurance is valid in Florida. A passpaort will be handy, but only at the border to get into the country. Valid driver licence with a motorcycle endorsement is required. In fact, with only a couple of exceptions, as you're motoring down the highway, you wont even know you're in a different country.

The primary exceptons; the money is all different colors (or colours, as we spell it up there), and the speed limit and distance signs are in kilometers (100 kph = 60 mph). Oh yeah, and the temperature is in Celcius. A quick convert is, degrees Celcius doubled plus 30 = degrees F (to be precise, 9/5 * C plus 32 = F).

What part of Canada are you planning on visiting?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Beware of deer, moose and other critters on the highway especially in the twilight hours. Other than that, the two legged kind are very friendly and you do not have to be concerned about safety. If you need help with anything (directions, mechanical troubles, tourist advice, whatever ..) just ask anybody - we'll be glad to help out. If you break down on the road, just wait a few minutes and someone will stop to help. Even the smaller towns will have community access centres that have free hi-speed computer terminals available for use by the public so if you need to check emails or this board for example you can gain access and it won't cost you anything, therefore you should not need to bring your own laptop. Similiarly most of the quality hotels also have a terminal for use by guests.

Have a great trip. If you get as far as eastern canada, look me up.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The insurance companies will give you a insurance card for Canada free. All it states is your policy number and that your insured in Canada.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Exchange American dollars for Canadian dollars or you may get a raw deal on prices. The best way is to use your credit card, then the exchange is right on with on worries. Be prepared--the Canadians are the friendliest people in the whole world. Every time I've traveled there, I've loved it, can't wait to go again. Have fun in a great country. George

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Don't even think of taking a weapon across the border into Canada!! A lot of good info above, other than that just take it easy and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Call you MC Insurance Agent to get the ID card for Canada - its free.
Looks like you already have a passport.

Firearms are a no-no.

Near Port Dover, Ontario on July 13? Always a big MC event on any Friday the 13th. I already have reservations 50 miles away, as all the local motels are already booked!

You may want to visit this website:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
keep the change. you will have around 20 bucks Canadian in change at the end of the day.
Double Double

·
Registered
249 Posts
You may want to stop at a bank and exchange some US for Canadian currency. Cashing in US currency at most businesses will probably cost you 10% in the exchange. Our gas is sold in liters (4.54 liters to a Canadian Gallon - A US Gallon is 80% of a Canadian Gallon). This week gas prices range from 78 cents to 90 cents per liter in Western Canada). If you plan to drive thru western Canada (Alberta or British Columbia), give me an email I have some beautiful rides you may want to consider.

·
Registered
342 Posts
try the smaller restaurants along the way, stay away from the chains you are used to in the states... they are VERY different in quality, taste, and price. Learn to say "EH?" and mean it...always remember that tim hortons is NOT dunkin donuts. Away from the tourist areas we have found the folks to be very friendly to be around. As previously noted, aside from the money colo(u)r difference and the gasoline amount differnence, not much else to say its different than the lower 48.

Have had some wonderful rides through the eastern canadien countryside.

Bob

L

·
0 Posts
One thing people don't think about is pepper spray and mace.

Both are prohibited here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BIGBIKE said:
THANKS,
Nothing much. As mentioned, there is zero tolerance for firearms at the border crossing. You can generally get very good exchange rates by using ATM's. When travelling, I use ATM's and credit cards. That way I never have to worry about exchanging money.

Enjoy!

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
IF you drink 'strong' coffee you'll find lots of Starbuck locations and if you drink 'good' coffee you'll be wise to check out Tim Hortons.

Big caution: Timmy's also sells pretty good donuts. I'm not a coffee drinker (except the iced coffee drinks) but have known to visit a local Timmy's for treats.

Oh, yes, we do have DQ, Napa, McD's, Sears and Home Depot here but no Lows and the biggest auto/hardware chain is Canadian Tire.

Also, the roads get messed up a lot by the winter freezing so there are always summer construction crews.

If you can plan a ride on the Ice Fields highway between Banff and Jasper you'll be very pleased you did.

·
Registered
261 Posts
1) No you don't need a separate policy, you just need an insurance card from your insurance company.

2) The Passport is for getting back into the USA.

3) If you can try to stay in B&B's in Canada they are not only a great value but also you get to meet some very interesting people.

4) Watch out for critters especially in Ontario and the Maritimes.

5) Gas stations are not as pleantiful as in the states and can be 80+ miles apart.

6) MOST of the time the Canadian drivers are much more polite

So where are you going when you're in Canada?

FF

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the information so far.

The trip is still in the planning phase, but it looks like we will be crossing into Canada at Sault Saint Marie, and then travel east. Probably cross back into the US on I-55/I-91 in Vermont. From there we are going to work our way down to Portland Maine for some fresh Lobster. After spending a day or two in Portland we are going to head west and stop and Niagara Falls. Will be traveling in Mid June and wondering if Leconia NH is somewhere we should stop?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Come down through Michigan to Port Huron. Cross over the Bluewater Bridge into Sarnia. Then up along the Lake Huron for some pretty good scenery. You can stop at our place for a visit as well. We can take you for a little sight seeing.
Then you can go along Lake Erie for even better scenery up to Niagra Falls.
This way you miss alot of that crazy Toronto traffic.

MAP OF MICH & ONTARIO
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... 04&g.y=290

·
Registered
261 Posts
Laconia is/was the first Rally in the USA. It's always an interesting trip. DeMillos in Portland is a nice place to eat lobster. NH and Maine have some great roads to explore!

FF

2,732 Posts
Big bike..

Hey BIGBIKE, Thats the same trip I'm planning for July 15th to July 30th from Loveland, CO to Kezar Lake, Maine. We have a cottage on Kezar Lake and try to spend at least 2 weeks every year there. My wife and her three siblings own equal shares in it and rotate the summer each year so we each get to use it at four different times over a 4 year period. Last year was the first year I took the bike up and loved the trip, looking forward to it again this July. I'll be watching your thread for good tips and other advice from others. Seems like a long wait for warm weather riding season again.......!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts