GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm flying into Knoxville and renting a bike for the day this Saturday the 2nd. Heading down to Robbinsville, Dragon, Cherohala, etc... to get my twisty fix.

If anyone is up for a ride that day... I'd enjoy the company.

I'm renting a BMW K1200S from sportbikes4hire.com, seems like a nice place to rent. He's delivering the bike to my hotel Friday night.

Bob

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pidjones. :)

Not my first time down there... but it's always a good reminder. I'm also imagining that the traffic will be significantly more than I'm used to.

I usually hit that area in the fall with the family on our annual ride. But I have a long layover and felt I really would enjoy getting some riding in. So I'm leaving my crew to fend for themselves while I hit the road for the day.

I won't be pushing it that hard... especially if riding alone, but I am fairly aggressive on the twisties by nature. However, I still have a plane to fly Sunday morning. ;)

Looking forward to the day... weather looks good except for maybe an isolated t-storm around the area.

Bob

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd update this...

07/02/2011

I had a great time on my 30 hour Knoxville overnight and I thought I'd post a few pics of the day. You can see all the pics on my FB profile if you actually know me.

Firstly, I want to comment on the great folks at sportbikes4hire.com. I can't say enough good things about them... they coordinated with me to have the bike delivered to the hotel at the same time we arrived in the hotel shuttle that evening. They dropped off a helmet and riding jacket for me too (I had packed my riding gloves and boots).

I got up at 5:30am and hit the road. I took US129 south down to Maryville, then cut across 321 to the Foothills Parkway... the Foothills Parkway is a great primer for Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon), and it intersects back with US129 just before the Dragon begins.

I've ridden in this area for several years... mostly on a GoldWing, so this was a great opportunity to really hit this stretch of road with a bike that could really do it justice.

Hitting the Dragon this early is the morning was fantastic! No other traffic, no cops... just the road, the bike, and me. I ended up doing this stretch of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) 8 times. Each time... I got better and better.

Look at the road behind me... 11 miles of this.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obligatory Deal's Gap photo op!

Obligatory "Tree of Shame" pic.

I left the Deals Gap area after it started getting crowded and continued down US129 to the Cherohala Skyway. This was just about perfect since the Dragon was getting crowded and it was getting hotter outside.

Hitting the Skyway was nice because there was less traffic and it took me up a few thousand feet into the cooler air. The twisties weren't as tight as the Dragon but they were definitely there. Just a much smoother and more consistent ride.

At the end of the Skyway, I turned back and did it in reverse, then took 143 out of Robbinsville, NC, and connected up to 28 which takes me back to the Dragon/US129. When I reached the resort... it was packed! Tons of bikes of every make and model. There was a live band, and lot's of food to be had. I hung out here for a bit and then hit the road back to Knoxville.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My last run on the Dragon @ 4:30pm, was very slow... there was a ton of traffic and the state police were out in large numbers. I counted 3 cruisers and 1 MC cop in the 11 mile stretch. Just about all of them had some one (or several folks) pulled over.

I hit the Foothills again on the way back... no traffic... a great way to end my day on the twisties.

I stopped in Maryville for gas and called the folks at sportbikes4hire.com and coordinated with them to pick up the bike. They were actually waiting for me in the parking lot at the hotel when I got there. After swapping stories with the guys for @ 30 minutes... I said goodbye to them and the awesome bike they rented me. 333 miles on a great bike in an awesome place... what a friggin' awesome day!

I never scraped the pegs in the turns... but I did end up wearing down the edges of my boots...

The sportbikes4hire folks told me to tell you guys that if you tell them that "that airline guy" or "Captain Bob" referred you... then they may cut you a break on the price. They will deliver the bike/bikes anywhere in the Knoxville, Maggie Valley, Robbinsville area. Heck... they'll even drop the bike at the Deals Gap Resort for you if you want. Great way to try something different than a Goldwing in the area.

Hope you enjoyed the write up... and hopefully I've inspired a few of you to do something a bit different next time you are in the Knoxville area.

Bob

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Very nice write-up there, Bob. I will have to contact the folks at Sportbikes4hire to get some of their fliers for my classroom. Several times a year I have a student that wants to ride on the weekend between our 2 week classes, and all I have for them is the local HD and Eaglerider literature.

Glad you had the opportunity to come tame some of our roads because, well, you can imagine what a tough job it is for us locals!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts