GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...crosswinds gusting to 60MPH SUCK!!! :cus:

G

·
Rastoff........if I had to pick two most uncomfortable conditions to ride in, those two would be it.
Wind is one thing, but high winds and rain call turn into pure hell.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wow ! I rode in a 40 crosswind once when the highway was dry, I can't even imagine doing that in the rain....... :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think that's how I got rid of my chicken strips last year....riding in a strong crosswind. :lol:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know from where you speak. A coupla of years ago, my sweetie and I rode from the Colorado border to Wichita in 50 mph cross winds. Only frequent stops made it bearable. :shock:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOPS :oops: I need to clarify; it wasn't raining at the time. My point was that rain is bad, but I like high gusting crosswinds less. I can't imagine rain and high crosswinds. I would definately have to stop.

The worst I've been in was on I-40 just East of Flagstaff. It was about 38°F and the winds were very strong. Fortunately we decided to stop just before heading up the mountain into Falgstaff. As we were putting the covers on the bikes it started to snow. Yes, we were glad we stopped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
how about getting caught in a hail strom, winds at 50-80 kms, hail 1/2 inch diameter. oh ya, and ALOT of rain!! Sheets of rain!! Lasting about 20 mintues and no where to stop and pull over in the middle of southern Saskatchewan. Temp went from +28 C to +5 in five mintues

I had bruises on the top of my hands, forearms and biceps like I had been shot with a paintball gun about 20 times, it was the only place that my joe rocket jacket and pants didn't have protection.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
it's always fun when you are just about dragging your pegs just to stay on the road in a wind. I've been close on the wing a few times

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was on I-80 the first time crosswinds became a real problem.

since then I've ridden in sandstorms in Mexico and with this simple solution, have never been bothered by crosswinds again.

If you have the guts to try this - it really works. don't know why it isnt' taught by MSF.

when the winds get really bad, I use only one hand to steer and balance.
This removes the automatic reaction to respond to the wind.

the bike will not go down or swerve as much. try it and find out.

ride safe, gordo

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Worst case of cross wind .. my SO and I were coming back from Colorado in north New Mexico on Hwy 287 .. 50MPH winds from the south
and we were traveling east.. gosh my shoulders and arms were tired.. when we got home.. we rode 961 miles that day...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I was here in Dallas house-hunting 10 years ago in the spring.. Rode from 25 miles east of Dallas up to Lewisville 25 miles north across town.. Thunderstorms, tornados, gusts so hard that whenever I hit a bump, I wasn't sure which lane the Cavalcade was gonna be in when it landed.. ;) Fortunately, the tornados were to the south of me, the rain was to the west, and when I turned north, the wind became a tailwind...

G

·
Most of the people I ride with fear rain and wind - mostly rain. They ride HD's or clones and refuse to wear helmets or wear half helmets and sunglasses. I learned long ago the difference between fear and inconvenience is the gift of the simple thing called a face shield. Glasses just don't cut it and in fact make things worse. However even with these precautions it still gives cause for slowness and caution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have ridding leaning side ways in the rain for about 3 days going from Los Angeles to Chicago.

What a blast........not

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Rastoff said:
...crosswinds gusting to 60MPH SUCK!!! :cus:
Man oh man...do I ever have to agree with you there. Couple of years ago my wife and I rode up to my daughters place in Rapid City, SD from Scottsdale, AZ. When coming through Lusk, WY and up through Hot Springs, SD., we hit those gales you speak of. Once when getting nearly taken off the bike by one really heavy duty crosswind from the right side...my wife said "this isn't much fun anymore". I totally had to agree. We had those winds all day long...twasn't fun at all. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:D Yeah cross winds are Gods way of telling you "pay attention son!" Worst I have had was a 50 mph crosswind in a driving rain bad enough there were like little waves on the interstate in the standing water. Had to find a bridge to hide under but only after about 20 minutes of thinking " I should have taken the pick up!!" Happened North of a little town called Wheatland Wyoming on I25.

Thats okay, we have a high wind warning in Cheyenne today. Sustained winds of 45-50 mph, gusts to 65 - 75 in the mountains just west of here. Not a good day to be driving a semi, we will get a couple of blow overs at least. Ride safe, stay dry!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
cross winds I never gave them a second thought untill it happened to to me, and let me say when you are flat tracking a big ol wing in across wind,on the interstate, and two big ol tour buses pass ya at 80mph it dont get any better than that. felt like the rear tire was lifting off the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts