GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how important it is to have good rain gear to stay dry while riding in the rain, but would like to know what others use to improve the experience. Other than caution, what do others use to make riding in the rain safer / more enjoyable? Also are there any accessories you use to help with water on the windshield / face shield?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I haven't done this yet but there were some people in another thread that mentioned splitting some 3/8" fuel line lengthwise and using it on the edge of the windscreen when rain was coming. Helps to keep the rain off of the face shield.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Riding in Rain

Haven't tried the tubing but sounds like something reasonable. Some of the rain that my wife and I have ridden in the last six months I don't think anything would have helped. I just cracked my face shield to help with fogging and to keep some of it off my glasses and rode on.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
State-of-mind is the most important factor that can be worked on... I love riding in the rain, while others loathe it or are downright scared! :eek:4: Dialing back the pace a notch or two and employing smooth imputs on the throttle, brakes, and transitions are important, as is forgetting about arriving at the destination quickly to get out of the rain, in favor of enjoying the slower pace and considering the ride an adventure.

My Tulsa windshield's aerodynamic tilt helps wick away the rain, and I usually leave the faceshield of my full-face helmet up to act like the brim of a baseball cap, and let my clear or amber glasses protect my eyes from the raindrops. Works pretty good for me. :thumbup:

I know how important it is to have good rain gear to stay dry while riding in the rain, but would like to know what others use to improve the experience. Other than caution, what do others use to make riding in the rain safer / more enjoyable? Also are there any accessories you use to help with water on the windshield / face shield?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
State-of-mind is the most important factor that can be worked on... I love riding in the rain, while others loathe it or are downright scared! :eek:4: Dialing back the pace a notch or two and employing smooth imputs on the throttle, brakes, and transitions are important, as is forgetting about arriving at the destination quickly to get out of the rain, in favor of enjoying the slower pace and considering the ride an adventure.

My Tulsa windshield's aerodynamic tilt helps wick away the rain, and I usually leave the faceshield of my full-face helmet up to act like the brim of a baseball cap, and let my clear or amber glasses protect my eyes from the raindrops. Works pretty good for me. :thumbup:
+1 same here and I have a f 4+4 works great :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I DO NOT enjoy riding in the rain and avoid it if at all possible, it makes me a nervous wreck, just like driving my truck on ice or snow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Best things I have ever owned is that Wiper that you slip over your pointer finger. It is like a little squeegy. When it rains I put one on each hand and they help Keep your line of sight clear on your Shield. I bought my last two of them from Cycle Gear up in Eureka Springs Arkansas, which I have heard has gone out of buisness. Here they are at Aerostich.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-veewipe-squeegee.html
Maybe your local cycle gear store closed but they are still in business. I get email spam from them daily!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think Rick is referring to Cycle Gadgets, just outside Eureka Springs and they have gone out of business.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rain? I would love for it to rain. Been so long, I can't remember what it's like.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
If you try the tubing it does work quite well EXCEPT that you only put about 18" across the top and not down the sides. Rain on a well cleaned windscreen will slide up to the top and the across the top tubing and come out over your shoulder and get the passenger right in the top of the arms. It does not get the rider in the face or on the helmet any longer nor does it come over the top and make drops on the inside and fall onto the radio etc.

I find that if it looks cloudy or forcast for rain I put the tubing on and it is a scare tatic and it does not rain enough to even need it. Then it has been over a month without rain at all here.....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Short shield, good modular helmet , face shield down, cracked just a bit, frogg toggs ,short shield sets up the perfect airflow, keeps the face shield clear.

Works for me.

My helmet leaks though, down the left side, at least you will never get thirsty.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
All these are great suggestions! I also think the kind of tires you run will make a huge difference, I ride in the rain and have about 100% confidence in the traction of my tires!
We would have to move this to a different forum to talk about the rear one though!:shrug:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I love riding in the rain. So far I have not found any gear to keep me 100% dry and don't care if I do. It is afterall just water.
The absolute best thing i have done for myself and my bike in the rain is run a car tire on the rear.
This spring I rode 754 miles in 40 degree weather raining for 14 straight hours. That was to get some fresh boiled crawfish my buddy was cooking. You have to enjoy crawfish and riding in the rain for that. Oh yeah, about nine hours of that trip was over night.

Things i learned or had reinforced during that trip were, it was better with the shield all the way up looking through it. Visor cracked without glasses on. Gerbings heated gear is not water proof, but who cares I was pretty warm until I got off the bike. The biggest thing though was to listen to your gut. Was heading into memphis about a half hour before and just had a feeling I needed to wait until day break to ride through, stopped and had breakfast even though I was not hungry yet. After o got back on the road I realized why I stopped. There were two separate places in the city that the roads were flowing rivers across them. Had I hit them at speed there is no way I would of rode it out and my adventure would have been over and ended badly. This was 14 hours of toad strangling rain.
Just get out there and enjoy life.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
coincidence?

All these are great suggestions! I also think the kind of tires you run will make a huge difference, I ride in the rain and have about 100% confidence in the traction of my tires!
We would have to move this to a different forum to talk about the rear one though!:shrug:
I love riding in the rain. So far I have not found any gear to keep me 100% dry and don't care if I do. It is afterall just water.
The absolute best thing i have done for myself and my bike in the rain is run a car tire on the rear.
This spring I rode 754 miles in 40 degree weather raining for 14 straight hours. That was to get some fresh boiled crawfish my buddy was cooking. You have to enjoy crawfish and riding in the rain for that. Oh yeah, about nine hours of that trip was over night.

Things i learned or had reinforced during that trip were, it was better with the shield all the way up looking through it. Visor cracked without glasses on. Gerbings heated gear is not water proof, but who cares I was pretty warm until I got off the bike. The biggest thing though was to listen to your gut. Was heading into memphis about a half hour before and just had a feeling I needed to wait until day break to ride through, stopped and had breakfast even though I was not hungry yet. After o got back on the road I realized why I stopped. There were two separate places in the city that the roads were flowing rivers across them. Had I hit them at speed there is no way I would of rode it out and my adventure would have been over and ended badly. This was 14 hours of toad strangling rain.
Just get out there and enjoy life.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I don't look forward to riding in the rain, but I will try the tubing trick on the top of the windshield, sounds reasonable, and cheap!

I have ridden with normal clothing (not waterproof) if for a short trip, but didn't like it. I suit up with my cheap all vinyl suit when it looks bad (use radar shot on my phone to try to get around it if possible) and keeping dry is key especially at speed. Even on a really warm day, if you get wet, you can get chilled. And once it gets below 75 or so, you really should try to stay dry. That cheap vinyl suit works well, and only means I need to get it off once the sun comes out and the temps come up!

I have tried all sorts of anti-fog, and they don't work for long in a tough rain. The shield on my Shark Evoline worked great the first few months, but almost two years later, the anti-fog on it from the factory seems to not work very well.

I want to try taking a wet cloth/papertowel in a baggie with some dishsoap on it next time, and then wipe the inside of the shield so that there is a thin layer of water, but no droplets, and no fog. Worked on my 64 VW in the winter when I had it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lots of good info and I'll add that I try my best to get into rain gear before it starts raining. If it looks like we're riding into rain, I'll stop so we can change into the rain gear. If I'm wrong, no harm no foul and we'll change out of it. Sure beats putting on rain gear while you're getting soaked.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the summer I've found that the darned easiest thing to do is just wear my usual ATGATT stuff (typically mesh) and underwear...and bring an extra pair of underwear to work to change out of the wet stuff. The problem is that there really is no protective gear that is both waterproof and cool. If the temps cool down enough I do throw a Frog Toggs jacket over my mesh jacket. My pants are usually dry enough behind the fairing.

In the winter it's easy enough to find good gear that is comfortable and waterproof. Around here winters are easier than summers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rain

Full face modular helmet, SealSkinz gloves, Marmot gortex jacket, FroggTogg RoadToad bottoms, Gortex lined boots, F4+4 Windshield and Factory seat allow me to stay dry even in the worst rain conditions. Avon Cobra tires are pretty good in the rain. SLOW DOWN & TAKE YOUR TIME if you ride in the rain. Best,

DOC:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts