GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding out west this summer we had our rain gear on the first six out of seven days. Some of the rain was involved with a weather front which was cooler. I found that using the handlebar and seat heaters helped immensely with comfort. A little heat goes a long way towards helping with the damp feeling. In the attached photo we had taken refuge in a gas station after driving through a driving blowing rain. Even with a good rain suit I was damp in places we won't talk about.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 GL1800
383 Posts
A couple of years ago we rode from Tulsa to Myrtle Beach and back.
13 of the 15 days we had at least some amount of rain. Some days a brief light shower, other days our ride began and ended wearing rain gear. A few of those days had me wishing for heated anything!!!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Isn't it nice to have a trike, while riding in this rain?? I feel much safer, with three wheels...

Ronnie

·
Registered
569 Posts
While riding out west this summer we had our rain gear on the first six out of seven days. Some of the rain was involved with a weather front which was cooler. I found that using the handlebar and seat heaters helped immensely with comfort. A little heat goes a long way towards helping with the damp feeling. In the attached photo we had taken refuge in a gas station after driving through a driving blowing rain. Even with a good rain suit I was damp in places we won't talk about. View attachment 391351
You can talk about it. We've all been wet there for one-reason-or-another... :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
On my trips from Alaska to Michigan to see family some years I have encountered a bunch of rain. Thousands of miles at a time, wet wet wet. In the mid-1990's I purchased my first set of aerostich Darien Gore-Tex gear and I have stuck with it, it works. Along with a heated vest or jacket liner and heated grips I am good to ride in just about any weather.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There are lots of MFG's who advertise waterproof riding gear. After hours and hours in the rain I learned not many are as advertised. And while the 9 yr old FirstGear jacket I have was waterproof for many years, after 9 not so good any more if yer out there for hours. Spray on waterproofing is worthless.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I just buy a cheap rain suit every year,(and put in in my bike) I don't ride too often in the rain , only if I'm caught in it suddenly......

Ronnie

·
Registered
924 Posts
The problem with cheap rainsuits is that if you get warm or rain leaks, you are wet from the inside out and will never dry. I found Frogtogs pants with a Tourmaster breathable waterproof jacket perfect for an 8 hour heavy rain ride. when lots of other riders had pulled over. I was quite surprised that setup was so good. Under garment were also breathable so no sweat.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You guys ride in the rain???!!!

How do you deal with all that cleaning and polishing the bike after the ride???🤔🙄😁

You guys MUST have a wife like mine, that'll help you clean it, by holding the hose...🤭

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ride in the rain a lot, If im on the way home i never bother to put my pants on so yea wet in all the wrong places lol. And yes washed every weekend and waxed every other week. Doesnt take long to wash and wax a GW

·
Registered
931 Posts
Live in the PNW! If you love riding, you learn to ride in the rain. Rains for weeks!!!!!
Otherwise, you lose 80 plus days of riding at a minimum.

We go wear heated water-resistant gear, Gore-tex boots all heated. I motorcycle commuted throughout the year for three years except on snow, black ice, or days that I needed to dress up. My Harley friends were amazed but if your bike is well appointed and you run all season Stones, very doable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Last time we rode to Blue Ridge it rained on us almost everyday, if it wasn't raining it was drizzle. We go used to it but would have been a better trip in good weather. Afternoon showers are the norm in Florida, cleaning after riding in the rain is the worst part for me.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
This was the worst rain storm I ever rode through (July 2000) during my riding career......!!

We turned east on I-40 and stopped for lunch at the Burger King in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Continuing east on I-40, we encountered severe rain/hail/lightening storms but there was no where to get off the highway for shelter. We did see an old abandoned gas station and pulled off but was unable to get under roof due to a lot of broken glass etc. in the area. A Marine on a Harley pulled in right behind us for shelter as well. There was an old car (with a guy and what appeared to be all of his belongings) parked at the station, evidently we made him nervous so he pulled out and went about 100 feet up the road and pulled off again. Unable to get shelter, we continued on to Tucumcari, New Mexico (about 60 miles) and stopped for the night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts