GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have discussed before how well the wing handles in the wind. But I just had to say I went for a ride yesterday, over 70 degres and expected winds of 30 mph. Well before I got home the winds were gusting to 53mph. No I really don't want to do that again but I made it home and I'm glad to say the wing and the trailer handled the wind well.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Same thing, Steve, only without the trailer. We had some shingles blow off the roof of our church and they had to close a street in downtown Dallas because the wind had blown some pieces off a building onto the street. I had to lean the bike into the wind a couple of times, but all in all it wasn't that bad. Should be a lot less wind today, but cooler. Still going for a ride this afternoon.

·
Registered
703 Posts
SL 1800, glad to see your post. I've riden in gusty winds and being a new bike rider (4 months), in my opinion the wing does handle well. Now maybe I've not seen 53MPH, but coming off those semi's on I-94 out of St Cloud, MN was some scarey moments. If the wing can handle that, I believe it is a wonderful bike.

By the way, I see your from Altus, OK. If I remember correctly, you're 10 miles south of Blair. I was in the AF and retired in 1989. I don't have my email posted, but send an email to [email protected]. I'd like to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
As much as I like my Wing I can't really say it's a wind-worthy vehicle. It's like driving a sheet of plywood down the road. But I guess it's to be expected with all the body panels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gary & Mikey said:
As much as I like my Wing I can't really say it's a wind-worthy vehicle. It's like driving a sheet of plywood down the road. But I guess it's to be expected with all the body panels.
Gary, I'm with you on this. I kept hearing others say how rock solid the Wing is in the stiff crosswinds. I would be cruising down the road with variable gusts and the only thing that was stable was my upper body. Everything below would constantly be dancing to the tune of the breeze. It's quite managable but a rock it's not. Granted, in some of those winds if it were a lighter bike, it might just get layed right over. Afterall, that's what adrenaline is all about, right?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
of all the bikes i have ever ridden, i feel the safest in any condition of the road. in 50 mile an hour winds, the best place to be is home.

but if i werecaught in that, make it a wing under me.

loren

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
50 mph winds would sure worry me on any motorcycle.

I've been in some moderate winds on the 1800, it does get shoved around.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The GL800 is not a Rock in Cross Winds

Gentlemen I have agree. The GL1800 is a great bike and rides superb, however its not a model of Stability in crosswinds. I believe this is due to the closed nose and body panel design. My friend has a 2001 Harley Ultra Classic that I ride on occassion. It's much easer to manuever in cross winds and tracks better in a straight line. The trade-off is I get much more wind buffeting coming direclty in-front-of-me and around my lower body. "Do I want to trade" NO NO NO. I'm just waiting for the 2300 CC monster coming to your friendly neighborhood Honda story in the not to distant future. Maybe the wind tunnel testing will be held to a higher standard of engineering excellence.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We took the bike out yesturday. It was 64 degrees and Winnnnnnnnn-dy. I don't know what the gusts were coming out of the Southwest but after a 40 mile ride, we were darned-ready to put the Wing back in the garage.

That wind knocked the tar out of us.

It knocked the socks off of us.

It took our breath away.

It blew us all over the place.

We were pulverized, vaporized, homogenized, and even hypnotized.

It beat us to death.

We were plum tuckered out.

Oh yea, I've got the tulsa mirror wings, and the big windshield. Buffeting isn't a problem. Its those cross winds that give me trouble.

No, I don't think that the Wing is all that pleasent of an experience riding in the heavy wind.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bike to death,

But in the wind.......

Bryansong

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
WIND..... HAAAHAAAAH HAAHAAAAH... you mean to tell me none of you guys had the "magic belly pan" mounted on your bikes?

I've ridden through a tornado and my Wing (with my magic belly pan) never even winced.

Of course if you believe this, I've got a bridge in Lake Havasau City I'll sell you.

Seriously... 50mph crosswinds are going to beat you up pretty good, belly pan or not. My SO and I frequently ride to San Diego a few times a year and get the crap beat out of us crossing through the sand dunes outside of Yuma, AZ. I don't think I can remember taking a trip and not having my bike sand blasted.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just hate it when the crosswind grabs your helmet and tries to jerk your head off at the shoulders. Then when that doesn't work, the wind tries to suck your lungs out through your nostrils by grabbing said nostril and twising your head off! Think I now know how a cow feels being jerked around by a nose ring! :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree that the wing is not the best in the wind. There are some things to do to minimize the effects.
1 Stock windshield in the lowest position helps.
2 This is controversial, but I think the Tulsa belly pan helps
3 Baker wings can be adjusted to provide better aerodynamics. Slightly open works most of the time for me.
4 I am not sure but the spoiler on the back and the kury luggage rack seem to help. I don't know if it is aero or weight, but it seems to help.

The other factor that needs to be considered is anticipation. If the road is tree lined and you come to a clear field chances are it will be windy there. Get ready to lean.
Gusty winds are the worst, be careful.
:blw1:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just traded a 750 ACE for a new Goldwing. Compared to the ace (which was a great bike) the wing is wind proof. I have to believe that those who think their Goldwing is not good in the cross winds should take a ride on a lighter cruiser in a stiff cross wind. JMHO

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
RodeHard
Your comment about going on a trip and being "sandblasted" reminded me about a trip to Death Valley that 5 of us took many years ago. My buddy was on a new GL1200 that he just spent big bucks to have striping/murals painted on. We ran into a sand storm on the way home, and when we stopped to get gas I noticed that one side of his bike was sandblasted and the striping/murals were gone. He wasn't a very happy camper.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yup, crosswinds are definently fun. If I "have" to ride in crosswinds...which I do, living in the desert and all....I prefer the wing to other smaller, lighter bikes from my past. I just reduce my speed and enjoy :shock: leaning until the pegs scrape (well not quite) to go in a straight line. Also found it helps to watch the traffic in front of me....like when a car make a lane change suddenly...then back LOL, I get ready for the gusting.

M

·
0 Posts
Lower rear suspension in the wind

I have a belly pan and I think it helps a lot in wind. Someone posted that if you lower the rear suspension to 1 or 2 when riding in crosswind that it helps. Well I tried it with the wife and I on the bike in crosswinds and I think It helps a lot. Maybe its because the bike is then lower to the ground and caussing more of the wind to go over the bike instead of under the bike. Well anyway try it the next time you ride and see what you think. Hope this helps your GREAT GL 1800 :sw1: :biker: :yes: become even GREATER. Lynn

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Patriot Wrote:
SL 1800, glad to see your post. I've riden in gusty winds and being a new bike rider (4 months), in my opinion the wing does handle well.
New Bike Rider, as in never owned one, but then went out and got the best? Pretty neat. That is like me, someone who had never owned a
gun, going out and buying a Bazooka! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts