GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the posts lately about using car tires and decided to try one myself. I have a Dunlop winter sport run flat. I only have about 500 miles on it and i have to say so far so good.
I am 52 years old. When i was in my prime I weighed 215lbs. I now weigh 275lbs. The reason I am writing is to say you guys are the "peg dragginest" people I ever saw. Check that. The "peg dragginest" people I ever "heard". I have Rivco boards and the only time I ever drag one is when I have a curve "slip up on me". Believe me, it is not intentional. It was lean way further than I wanted or hit the ditch. To drag a peg you have to lean over even further. I've been riding 32 years and I'm not great, but I'm not bad either. I know there are some ex crotch rocket riders out there that do this with ease but it seems you guys all "say" you do this. When I'm on the road, you guys all look about my age or older. When I see you or ride with you you're are just "easing down the road" like me. Yet all you guys say you drag the metal off the pegs all the time.
Another thing: It seems all you guys also "say" you have a wife that is 4' 11" to 5' 1" and weigh between 88lbs. to 105lbs. I only see women like that on the back of Harley cruisers. When I'm am out on the road and see you you're wives look a lot like mine: 5' 3" and 200lbs. I do a lot of touring on the Bike and a lot of traveling in my car. I've been in every state except Alaska and Hawaii.
When I'm on the road I never see any of these things so I must be RIDING IN THE WRONG PLACES.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Welcome to the INTERNET!

Some of these guys ain't even guys!

Yup, my wife is 5'2" and USED to weigh 112lbs with 34D cups. Now, the rest of her match ..... but I can't complain, been pretty good for 33 years.

Anyway, some of us DO ride that way, but we are mostly polite and wait up for the "putters" so they won't feel lonely.

I actually modify my riding style by the people I'm with especially when I'm up front. I don't want ANYONE trying to ride beyond their skills and motorcyle's ability to navigate turns.

PS: I would NEVER dream of putting a car tire on a motorcycle. (I know, I know....)

http://www.rattlebars.com/pix/551flip.wmv

http://www.rattlebars.com/pix/freewayclip.wmv

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waldo,
Nice video. On the first video I still "did not" see anything exceptional about your lean angle. That was not a peg dragger. Also a camcorder on a bike or a car exaggerates the sensation of speed. Post another one where I can hear the metal scrapin from the pegs or see the sparks flying
On the second video, going down the interstate weaving through traffic is nothing exceptional.

As for the wives, now there's just more to love :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Watching those vids got me sleepy - nighty nite. :roll:

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I'm 6' 215. You've never heard me say my Wife weighs 88lbs and she's not near 200lbs either. :shock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red,
I have those same scrathes on my lower cowling. They come from being in a moderate lean and hitting a big dip in the road and the suspension bottoming out. They also come from getting to close to curbs and other things in parking lots. While you were down there taking the picture of the lower cowling you could have just as easily taken a picture of the pegs. Since you didn't that speaks for itself.

Thanks

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Mailman5456 said:
Red,
I have those same scrathes on my lower cowling. They come from being in a moderate lean and hitting a big dip in the road and the suspension bottoming out. They also come from getting to close to curbs and other things in parking lots. While you were down there taking the picture of the lower cowling you could have just as easily taken a picture of the pegs. Since you didn't that speaks for itself.

Thanks
LMAO....

Thanks for calling me a liar Dude! :evil: Didn't know I needed to prove anything to you! ROFLMAO....

You're probably correct. I'm too stupid to know how to ride, so I have been jumping curbs like yourself! :roll:

It's a Motorcycle! Ride It Like One!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm 6'5" and the Mrs. is 5'5"; we both weight-train and our combined weight exceeds the machine's load capacity by a hefty margin.
I've never said I was the quickest but I may have been the dragginest before my Traxxion springs were installed.
I ground my stock foot pegs almost in half; DDKing gave me a new set after I put on the stronger springs and they are looking pretty darn nice so far; I've only dragged them about twice per ride now and not so hard.
Not only did the pegs drag, but the under-cowl like Red posted, the right crashbar (wore a hole in it and had it replaced), and the center stand tang.
A couple of people that rode behind me said that I dragged my pipes too but I don't see any scratches there.

Now Trialsman can easily drag his pegs just doing tight circles in the parking lot; he'll demonstrate that on any bike, any time.

·
Registered
806 Posts
As momma has increased in volume over the years our bikes have increased in HP and torque. I look at her as a saftey feature, the extra weight on the rear tire adds extra traction on those rain slick roads helping to keep the rear tire from spinning out. Sorta like us farmers do by adding weight to our tractors to keep wheel slip to a minimum. I guess my extra weight helps some also, not sure on that one yet? Love that women and love to ride with her on the back.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
When I met my wife... she weighed 103 lbs.. she is 5ft 0in... she did gain a little weight.. now she weighs 113.. ....... .. time she goes on a diet..
:lol:

cosmic

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
for me dragging pegs doesn't necessarily mean i was going fast, what it usually means is that i probably misjudged the corner so had to lean farther than expected, lots of folks like to have the pegs dragging but not me
i have been on plenty of rides where every time we stop some folks want to talk about how they were dragging the pegs, some folks drag some don't and to me it seems like they were all doing about the same speeds

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Red said:
I'm 6' 215. You've never heard me say my Wife weighs 88lbs and she's not near 200lbs either. :shock:

Give it up, Red. We've been found out. Yellow Wolf saw it comin'. Why do you think he sold his 1800 and bugged outta here. :lol:

[I'm sure glad I totaled mine. Nothing left to prove and nothing left with which to prove anything.]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red, I never called you a liar. I just said your picture spoke for itself. As for myself I've already admitted my riding is not great but ok. As for Yellow Wolf a lot of people on this board have already attested to his riding skills. The guy on the silver wing: you're in a parking lot! This is not what you guys brag about.Doing that at 90 mph is a little different than being in a parking lot. I do that myself all the time making a turn in a parking lot.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'd just like to know the purpose of calling everyone out.
Most people who you are refering to wouldn't take the time of day to try to prove anything. We have fun riding the way we do. As I hope you have fun riding the way you do. Besides, how do you expect to see someone do what you describe when you are riding at such a different pace? You'd never be able to witness someone taking a series of turns if you're not right behind them.
So there's no wonder why you don't see it.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Here's a little scrape the case guard got when I went over the curb. I then fell down and went boom. Good thing I have one eye left or I would be driving off of curbs daily. Too Funny!

:bow: Just think, if I would have been running a cartar I might have stayed upright......

Like Nedro stated above. If you don't ride with people that know how to throw the Wing around, you don't have a clue what it can do. I've been on Wings 25+ years. I can handle one pretty good. I have slowed down since I lost a eye, but I will still run with anyone through the switchbacks.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Mailman5456 said:
Red, I never called you a liar. I just said your picture spoke for itself.
Right. You're assuming that he's either too senile to know when he's hitting a curb or he's a liar...

Mailman said:
The guy on the silver wing: you're in a parking lot! This is not what you guys brag about.
Actually, this is what Paul brags about. He competes in Observed Trials and loves the Top Gun competitions.

That guy on the silver bike (the Traxxion demo bike, btw) is Trialsman. He, Toyo, Helmetdance, and I went on a nice peg-dragging ride yesterday. We hit Wolfpen Gap Road (scrape, scrape, scrape), 129 (scrape), and the Cherohala Skyway (scrape scrape). We weren't really hammering it though; more sight-seeing than squidding yesterday.

If you seriously think that nobody's riding these pigs for what they're worth, then you need to get out more and ride with a different crowd.
Or keep riding slow it that's what you like to do.

Red is many things. He's opinionated and crotchety but he's not a liar.
Me neither.

The fat girl can dance.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Red said:
Just think, if I would have been running a cartar I might have stayed upright......
Not sure how your spill happened - did you bottom out, then fall over or did you hit the curb with the engine guard and fall over?

The car tire wouldn't have helped you in either case; but if you were leaving a driveway and going over a curb and you had a car tire, you could have simply pulled a wheelie and ridden off the curb with the front wheel up thereby avoiding the bottoming out problem... :wink:

Tom F

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
He was being funny, Tom.
Red didn't drop it after going off a curb; that's a touch-down scrape from nailing twisties.
If he had Traxxion springs he wouldn't do that so often...

I have my old footpegs at home; I'll take a picture tonight.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO.. the rooster that sits on the fence and crows the loudest.. is usually
the one that does the least.. ok.. flame suit on...

cosmic

1 - 20 of 45 Posts