GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week riding from Americade, it rained, go figure. So I've got a question regarding rain gear and jackets, that maybe some of you can help me with.

I have Frogg Toggs and I have an Olympia Motor Sports Mesh jacket with liner.

When it's warm, the liner is TOO much, it's WAY too hot when it's raining and warm. With just the mesh, you get wet, obviously, so I put my Frogg Toggs over the top of the mesh jacket. That's OK when it's cool out, like this past weekend but again, when it's hot, it's too much and you get wet on the inside from sweat.

I'm looking for a high vis jacket with a light liner. Frogg Toggs are great, I agree and I stay dry but I'd really like a jacket and liner and leave the Frogg Togg top at home...............I also don't like the fact that the Toggs I have are black. So I'd like to get a nice High Vis jacket that has a liner that not too hot but water proof.

I was looking at the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jackets, they "seem" to fit the bill............what other jackets are out there that might fit the above requirements.

I do not have a large motorcycle shop around here to try on or look at various jackets, hence my question.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the Tourmaster, Sonora model, has two lines that can be worn together or seperately...I like it....the rain liner works good under the mesh jacket....might try and check them out, they are also on sale at Wingstuff

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
This past week riding from Americade, it rained, go figure. So I've got a question regarding rain gear and jackets, that maybe some of you can help me with.

I have Frogg Toggs and I have an Olympia Motor Sports Mesh jacket with liner.

When it's warm, the liner is TOO much, it's WAY too hot when it's raining and warm. With just the mesh, you get wet, obviously, so I put my Frogg Toggs over the top of the mesh jacket. That's OK when it's cool out, like this past weekend but again, when it's hot, it's too much and you get wet on the inside from sweat.

I'm looking for a high vis jacket with a light liner. Frogg Toggs are great, I agree and I stay dry but I'd really like a jacket and liner and leave the Frogg Togg top at home...............I also don't like the fact that the Toggs I have are black. So I'd like to get a nice High Vis jacket that has a liner that not too hot but water proof.

I was looking at the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jackets, they "seem" to fit the bill............what other jackets are out there that might fit the above requirements.

I do not have a large motorcycle shop around here to try on or look at various jackets, hence my question.
Think about riding in the rain differently. There are two cases, when it is cold and when it is warm, that require different approaches. Cold and rain requires a traditional, stay dry strategy, rain suits such as Frogg Toggs are good under those conditions. When it is raining and warm if you are riding in a good riding suit (i.e. Kelvar) and wearing only LDComfort under, your suit will get wet but dry quickly and the LDComfort will keep your body dry. It is the best of all worlds, dry body, cooling rain with no effort from you. No need to struggle putting on a rain suit, just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have both a Transition II and Intake air from Tourmaster. I think the Transition II would probably be too warm, however the Intake air has the 2 liners and one of them is advertised as waterproof. I have no clue about the waterproof part but you can wear that thin liner up to about 80 degrees with very little discomfort.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think about riding in the rain differently. There are two cases, when it is cold and when it is warm, that require different approaches. Cold and rain requires a traditional, stay dry strategy, rain suits such as Frogg Toggs are good under those conditions. When it is raining and warm if you are riding in a good riding suit (i.e. Kelvar) and wearing only LDComfort under, your suit will get wet but dry quickly and the LDComfort will keep your body dry. It is the best of all worlds, dry body, cooling rain with no effort from you. No need to struggle putting on a rain suit, just ride and enjoy.
I have thought it about differently......here was the deal. I left on Thursday, they were calling for rain. It was almost 90 degrees when I left. Rode from Rochester to Lake Placid and not one drop, still 90 degrees. Friday rode up to Plattsburg and did White Face Mountain, no rain, temp ran from 85 at the bottom to 65 at the top, refreshing but not uncomfortable.

Friday night a cold front went through, Saturday the HIGH temp was 57 degrees, Sunday not much better and it rained both days. So looking at the Tourmaster, I thought it would be nice to have a jacket that is breathable but water proof and also have a zip in liner. My current jacket, MESH, has a water proof liner but is WAY too hot to wear in 90 degree weather and I unfortunately left it at home ( due to the temps, I didn't think I'd need it).

I like the water wicking underwear idea but think it might scare people when I take my jacket off..........:22yikes: all that skin tight type stuff doesn't do me any justice (ha). So I'm kind of looking for ideas for an all in one jacket that can cover the gambit. The Tourmaster "seems" to do that..........I think???

The Kilimanjaro has been tossed around on here as well but I am not familiar with it, I saw the Tourmaster at Americade but didn't have the opportunity to try it on.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
It sounds like you need GoreTex rain proof garment, if it is zip in or an over garment is up to you, but get GoreTex and you will be happy..... expect for your wallet to go flat as in my experience GoreTex garments are expensive

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone own one of these tour master transition jackets, reviews say they are not really water proof! Other than that, the reviews say it's a great jacket.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a Motoport with the rainliners ansd they breathe well. i don't sweat on warm rainy days

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Here's what I have... Visable, comfortable and 2 liners, waterproof and cold weather.

Olympia Airglide 3 color=Toxic.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have thought it about differently......here was the deal. I left on Thursday, they were calling for rain. It was almost 90 degrees when I left. Rode from Rochester to Lake Placid and not one drop, still 90 degrees. Friday rode up to Plattsburg and did White Face Mountain, no rain, temp ran from 85 at the bottom to 65 at the top, refreshing but not uncomfortable.

Friday night a cold front went through, Saturday the HIGH temp was 57 degrees, Sunday not much better and it rained both days. So looking at the Tourmaster, I thought it would be nice to have a jacket that is breathable but water proof and also have a zip in liner. My current jacket, MESH, has a water proof liner but is WAY too hot to wear in 90 degree weather and I unfortunately left it at home ( due to the temps, I didn't think I'd need it).

I like the water wicking underwear idea but think it might scare people when I take my jacket off..........:22yikes: all that skin tight type stuff doesn't do me any justice (ha). So I'm kind of looking for ideas for an all in one jacket that can cover the gambit. The Tourmaster "seems" to do that..........I think???

The Kilimanjaro has been tossed around on here as well but I am not familiar with it, I saw the Tourmaster at Americade but didn't have the opportunity to try it on.....
The Kilo is a good jacket, I have several of them, the old one with the sleeve zippers and the new one without. The sleeve zippers on the old one leak in heavy rain. But the new one has none.

In cooler weather it is a great jacket, in warmer weather it will melt you like an DQ bar.

I guess it depends on how far you are going to ride in the rain, a jacket with liners is ok........a little bit, if you can plan ahead for the day, but stopping and trying to put in liners and zip up zippers and fasten little snaps is not cool when the rain is coming fast. Plus all jackets with liners are bulky, hot and do not breath well.

In real hot weather I just ride with no liner , no rain, if it starts getting cold or you figure it is to be cold and do not want to get chilled, the newer Frog Toggs are hard to beat.

The Frogs of old are no more, the new ones are very good, they breath well and will also help a bit on cold days to keep you warm. Quick, easy, fast to put on, and you can simply take them off if the rain stops.

In nasty cold wet weather, the Kilo is good, with a heated liner under it, you will be comfortable in any bad conditions, but if it gets warm, it will melt you down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Transition II and really like the jacket. I can't really speak for it's water proofness.....haven't been in the rain with it yet. I posted a couple months ago about wether it really was as water proof as they advertise and recieved several replies that said as long as you have it zipped up correctly that, yes, it was water proof. I just returned from a 2 week ride to Oklahoma and back. While there the temps got into the mid to upper 80's and I just couldn't stand it anymore, even with the vents open I got hot so I went and purchased a Tourmater Air Intake. I really like the Transition II and still wear it alot but we don't have the humidity here in the high plains desert. I haven't rode with the Air Intake liners in them yet but I'm sure it would be pretty warm in hot weather with the rain?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Transition II and really like the jacket. I can't really speak for it's water proofness.....haven't been in the rain with it yet. I posted a couple months ago about wether it really was as water proof as they advertise and recieved several replies that said as long as you have it zipped up correctly that, yes, it was water proof. I just returned from a 2 week ride to Oklahoma and back. While there the temps got into the mid to upper 80's and I just couldn't stand it anymore, even with the vents open I got hot so I went and purchased a Tourmater Air Intake. I really like the Transition II and still wear it alot but we don't have the humidity here in the high plains desert. I haven't rode with the Air Intake liners in them yet but I'm sure it would be pretty warm in hot weather with the rain?
I to have both & as long as you have the Transition II all closed up it is for the most part water proof, with some water getting in from running off you're helmet down you neck some times after riding a long time.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
One of the most reliable company’s for durable waterproof products is Marmot. They make several great breathable jackets/ shells that are fantastic in a down poor. The Flight Commander & Cervino are Goretex. The Oracle is very bright and waterproof. The links are below:

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-flight-commander-jacket-mens

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-cervino-jacket-mens

http://marmot.com/products/oracle_jacket

DOC:thumbup:
These are all "alpine" jackets designed for cold and wet weather; perhaps nice as hiking jackets but would tear to sheds in an instant if you came off a motorcycle in one.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Sonora in hi-vis and like it a lot. Very waterproof, and if it's a cold rain, just add the cold weather liner. It was good this weekend up in the low 80's for me. Just opened up the jacket about half way down till it rained. Tom :doorag:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts