GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email about renewing or getting a level 2 from the GWRRA....Currently I do not belong to this organization, but it sounds as if they REQUIRE you to go through THEIR training or riding courses... If a member doesn't do this, do the yhave the power to tell you that you can not ride with them ? If so, this sounds like dictatorship to me !! If not, then what is the use of these levels ?...I have been riding for over 40 years, with over 35 of those years and hundreds of thousands of miles on the roads and highways. I have NEVER had an accident, hit anything or even laid any of my bikes down !!!!...So you can't tell me how to ride !!...But I am very curious as to why they require you to attend or get these different levels.....If this is the case, I wouldn't join that organization.....If I am wrong,,,which I seem to be sometimes,,,please straighten me out....please tell me how it really is ...or tell me if I am right...........unruffle my feathers.......my only other thought that just occurred to me is this.............wait ..I won't say it ,,,you tell me...........please.........ruffled Henry

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The Rider Ed Program in GWRRA is strictly a voluntary program. No requirements of any kind. Some people participate in it and others don't.

It has no affect on your membership or how you are perceived.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
They don't even require you to own a motorcycle! LOL...

It's my understanding GWRRA was going to lose it's "non profit" status a few years back. They started promoting the rider education programs to keep the "non profit" status!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Red said:

It's my understanding GWRRA was going to lose it's "non profit" status a few years back. They started promoting the rider education programs to keep the "non profit" status!
Now that was funny :!:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Red said:

Don't confuse "non profit" with "tax exempt".

Many, many, many small businesses are "non profit". But even if a small business files bankruptcy, losing everything, they are still not "tax exempt" and will be responsible for any taxes deemed due.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Rider Ed is simply a way of encouraging riders to take ERC's(Experienced Rider Courses) and First Aid/ CPR classes. The Levels go up to Level 4 and Master Tour Rider. I will tell you that the riders that have achieved the various levels are proud of the fact. They are for self improvement and personal safety, as well as, group safety. They are totally and completely volunteer however we stress them in our chapter. We have members that have been in accidents or near misses that attribute their survival to proper training. Even if you've ridden 500,000 miles, I suggest you take an ERC and I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised and will also learn your weaknesses. The $25 or $30, which is refundable through Honda Riders CLub or your insurance co., is a small price to keep your rider skills sharp and you and your co-rider safe.

·
Registered
403 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
I just received an email about renewing or getting a level 2 from the GWRRA....Currently I do not belong to this organization
Also, you must be getting someone else's mail if you aren't a member. You can't go to Level 2 if you aren't already at Level 1, which you can't be at if you aren't enrolled in the levels program, which you can't be if you aren't a member of the GWRRA. To quote the great E. P. "Write upon it, Return To Sender". :lol:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
If you are going to return to sender be sure and place another 39 cent stamp on it. If not you can not send it back. Per the USPS.

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Henry,

I don't know how you got an email from GWRRA when you are not a member. I'm a life member and don't get email from them but I do get an occasional USPS mail.

One of our members asked co-founder Shirley Garcia about a recent mailing and was told "IN FACT...INB..which owns Wing World...Buys your name from GWRRA..which they in turn sell to advertisers....That is how they make money...

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE THEM DO THIS...
Contact Phoenix and they will remove your name from that list...When you renew..you have an option box to check that tells them not to sell your info".

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have NEVER had an accident, hit anything or even laid any of my bikes down !!!!...So you can't tell me how to ride !!.
Ever watched a drill team compete? If the requirement of skilled riding is never having an accident - then leave it in the garage or ride very little.

Events happen beyond any skill level of control. Accidents can & do happen.

Yet, I've ridden with and seen "master riders" who've straddled a bike for decades improperly paddle footing around parking lots!

Read about or watch a motorcyle police course in action! Then merge with their traffic and technique then you can say you "know how to ride !!"

Better yet, show up at the Experienced Riders Course and demonstrate your skill. Help a novice learn.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Einzig said:
Better yet, show up at the Experienced Riders Course and demonstrate your skill. Help a novice learn.
Beautiful!! If there's absolutely nothing left for you to learn, participate by taking the time to teach the rest of us! That's what is all about. But I have to say, even some of the most experienced riders who took the ERC walked away with something and said it was worthwhile.

That's a pretty scary attitude when people think there isn't anything more they can learn or practice.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Well said Einsig...
I occasionally get folks in my ERC classes that are arrogant and refuse to listen... Most times it's military folks that are forced to take the class to get thier bike on base..

I always listen to experianced riders theorys and practices. Weather they make good sense or not, they become topics for the class to quickly discuss.. Sometimes they are gems of wisdom (and most times fit perfectly to reinforce the MSF curriculum), sometimes they are misguided assumptions... Either way, the curriculum is presented and the students are smart enough to see value in a practice and take it home with them.. It makes for better retention and adds value to the training!!!

Some folks can be convinced that there's value in periodic education and having an open mind.. But there will aways be the "golden riders" that have never had a crash and therefore are perfect and beyond doing anything better than they already are... Sadly I see this more in the Wingerland than anywhere else.. I've both coached and participated in many ERC sessions and for every big HD Roadking, Ultra or BMW LT I have only seen a couple of Wingers.. Many of the larger bikes are either HD or BMWs by 10 to 1 ratio to Wings... As a sidenote, the Wingers I normally see in class are exceptional riders and normally take the class every couple of years!!

When I visit my local dealers, I have seen more Wings sitting waiting for insurance adjusters than any other bike (perhaps the crotch rockets don't go to dealers with thier injured steeds) A lot of the riders "failed to negotiate a curve" and crashed while perfectly sober in broad daylight within the speed limits... Many were due to "having to crash to prevent hitting another vehicle"... Nobody's perfect, all seasoned riders have experiances to share, draw on them to help save your own bacon one day... A formal class is the perfect environment to do this... Take a class or not, it's your a$$ on the line...

Before dismissing training, do a search here and see what other's assumptions and experiances were before and after training...

These are just my personal observations folks, nothing more meant by it..
Constructive comments only please, insults and stupidity will be politely ignored as always.. :wink:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've been riding motorcycles of one flavor or another since the mid '60s. My first training course (BRC) was in 2002 the week I picked up my '03 Wing. Since then I have taken two ERCs as well as the first aid and CPR courses (have had several versions of those two over the last thirty years or so). In each course I learned something. Training is never a waste, and never was I so arrogant I thought "They can't teach me anything".

Having been a teacher/instructor myself, perhaps I am more open to learning.

Ride long and safe..and when you stop learning, it's time to close the lid.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Goldwinghen3,

The reason there are 4 levels of rider's experience is non other than for the muckedy mucks at the GWRRA headquarters to make more money from the membership at large, and only because 6 levels seemed too many, or they'd get away with that as well.

I mean CPR will not make me a better rider, but it's nice to have had the class if you'd have to use it on a family member or friend, and it is one requirement for one on the 4 levels. But you can sign up for a class on your own if you'd inquire at a local Fire House.

ERC is definitely a worthwhile endeavor. I've been riding for 47 years and have taken the ERC more times than I can count on my fingers, but you don't have to pay for one of the 4 levels to get your own ERC class.

You see what I'm saying? The 4 level entice you to be better at riding your own motorcycle, but that could be achieved on your own without contributing to the 4 levels' fees and into the GWRRA's bank accounts.

I'm a life member, but I refuse to participate in the 4 level program, which is strictly voluntary.
This aside, GWRRA will allow you to ride and be friends with other riders that ride Goldwings in your area. The 4 levels? Well, you don't have to contribute into that.

Ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I understand that some GWRRA chapters are even considering letting the members ride to and from the restaurants. :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
gwrra

just a big joke with levels i seen riders in 3&4 in flip flop t shirt shorts and most that were at wing ding this year dressed like this level 3 and up are to be long sleeve, long pants, glove ,helment,cpr, erc.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: gwrra

jim&jan said:
just a big joke with levels i seen riders in 3&4 in flip flop t shirt shorts and most that were at wing ding this year dressed like this level 3 and up are to be long sleeve, long pants, glove ,helment,cpr, erc.
Just cause you're trained to do what's right doesn't mean you gain intellegence you didn't have at the start of the course.. You have to stay at a Holiday Inn for that... :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts