GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iron plates that get put down when the road is under repair. What do you do when it's wet out, and you come upon one of those 6 foot by 6 foot plates??? Makes me pucker.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
I use the sidewalk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I slow down, make sure I can get over it without needing to stop and I travel over them with no sudden changes in direction or speed.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I use caution, keep the bike straight, and be very smooth (no sudden moves, braking or acceleration). I would also advise you stay in one (tire) track or the other and avoid the center.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Stay neutral on the throttle, no lean, no brake. Relax. Really relax, and let the bike handle it. No pucker at all, unless you suddenly have to stop or turn.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Speed up, then 6 ft is alot shorter :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
They kind of make me pucker also. Just like the steel grating on some bridges makes me pucker. Relax, no sudden changes and ride over it. The state highway departments never think of motorcycles when they do stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
At least in WA state, they post signs for Motorcyclists to use caution. I rode over 3 steel plates and one grated steel bridge on the way home tonight.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I hate those things. I try and go around if possible. When you can't proceed with caution and slow down a bit

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Proficient Motorcycling

Just another reason to have and read the book Proficient Motorcycling.

Steel plates belong to a category called edge traps and are in the Bobby Traps chapter of the book. In addition to picking a straight line path of travel to cross them, you must stay away from the edges where they lie. It you travel over/near an edge, that can 'trap' your wheels and cause the motorcycle to fall over.

Other examples of edge traps include RR tracks, curbs and uneven pavement.

From page 147, here are the riding techniques:
  • Reduce speed
  • Weight on footpegs
  • Pick best surface, follow smooth lines
  • Steady throttle hand
  • Bike perpendicular to road surface
If crossing a spill or slippery surface, like ice, just add squeeze in clutch before the hazard, cross over, release clutch after hazard.

Its a shame - this used to be a part of the older MSF beginners class.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Don't give it much thought. I guess the only part I don't like is the sharp bump on both sides. Other than that, Its just another obstacle in the road.

A

·
0 Posts
I relax, pull in the clutch, coast over the hazard and hope for the best. So far so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts