GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the favorite "riding pants" out there? Certainly not Levi's/Jeans. Gotta be something better for comfort.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Olympia AirGlide 3...Not cheap though

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I expect there are many riding pants that will work. The questions should be, mesh or textile, what material i.e. nylon or Kelvar, armor and how much, how do you put them on and are they designed to be "over pants" or stand alone.

The mesh vs. textile is easy. Unless you only ride in temps between 70F and 85F when it is not raining then textile will be much better than mesh. High denier nylon works but if you can afford to buy Kelvar it is much better. Kelvar gives better protection, does not transfer heat or cold, and does not absorb H2O. Armor, you need it, hip, thigh and tail bone. How much, more is better. The last how easy are they to put on and off over boots, you just need to try 'em.

Aerostitch and Motorport make some of the best riding gear, either is a good investment.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I usually wear a tan pair of jeans but while at Wing Ding, I tried on some all season 6th gear pants that have the removable liner and pads and actually bought them. My first pair of actual riding pants other then chaps.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have been wearing jeans while riding since the early 50s and probably won't quit anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
What is the favorite "riding pants" out there? Certainly not Levi's/Jeans. Gotta be something better for comfort.
BTW, you are correct "...not Levi's/Jeans. Gotta be something better for comfort." Jeans are as bad as it gets for riding, not much more protection than shorts and made of cotton, a sure path to monkey butt.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Joe Rocket Textile overpants for winter, Fieldsheer Mesh for Summer. I only wear my skivvies under the mesh pants in the summer so they can let some air in and a tee shirt or polo shirt under my mesh jacket in summer. Long pants under mesh pants defeats the purpose of the mesh.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I have the biker jeans by Diamond Gusset jeans. Very comfortable in the crotch :lol: And have some protection material sewn into the jean pants

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you wear a jean type material....cotton, sometimes blended with a poly synthetic fabric....if you do take a slide across the pavement the cotton will immediately shred away and the poly will melt into your roadrash and harden into little pieces fused with the wound....fortunately there is a numbing gel they coat you with in the ER which prevents you from feeling the stiff plastic scrub brush they use to clean it off..... i had on a kevlar enduro jacket and my arm, that i used to support my upper body during the slide, was uninjured... the palm of my leather glove wore thru to the skin just as the slide stopped, saving my hand......i hit some invisible sand at the apex of a hard uphill right hander at about 60 mph and slid about 5 car lengths uphill and across the road coming to rest in the gravel on the shoulder a few years back on my BMW, the one time I did not wear my real riding pants....not preaching, just thought I'd share my experience...bty I have fieldsheer mesh, havn't crash tested it yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love this forum. Great information and valid opinions.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I wear FieldSheer, not very expensive and offer pretty good protection!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts