GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I'll ask you fine folks...what kind of riding pants do you wear? Is it regular jeans, Draggin' jeans (or similar kevlar jeans), or riding pants with padding? I guess I'm a bit more conscience about safety gear lately and am wondering what you all use and why...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
me and TBB ware First gear over pants, they are comfortable and armored and not that expensive.( and water proof )

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have the First Gear MeshTex pants (jacket also). Wear the MeshTex pants over jeans in cool weather, without the jeans in hot summer weather, and for temporary cold weather (such as excursions into high altitudes) or in the rain, we add our Tour Master Elite rain suit on top of the MeshTex. Very comfortable in all but the coldest winter weather, and reasonably good padded protection as well.

In really cold winter weather we break out the heavy winter riding gear.

Sheldon
'04 Titanium GL1800

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I wear Levi 501's when I ride...I just bought some chaps this weekend at Cycle Gear in Sacramento..FMC for $109.99...hoping to keep my legs warm this winter....I also plan on buying some type of rain gear ........

·
Registered
922 Posts
Draggin Jeans or Joe Rocket mesh overpants with kevlar and padding.

Check out newenough.com for low prices on all types of saftey gear.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
J-mac said:
me and TBB ware First gear over pants, they are comfortable and armored and not that expensive.( and water proof )
Spot on!! I use the HT overpants in the winter or in chilly temps.. They are quite comfortable and easy to take on and off!! In the summer I just use jeans and sometimes FirstGear mesh pants if it's really hot or I'm riding in a higher risk situation with the Triumph..

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
First Gear HT overpants, with the liner in I can ride into the 30's. Wore them all day today without the liner, temps 45-70 and was never uncomfortable. The the heat of the summer I have been wearing just jeans, but am looking at First Gear mesh pants.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Air Mesh Kevlar by motoport. Kevlar does not absorb heat, the mesh keeps you partially shaded, clothes are custom-made for your body resulting in a comfortable ride with great protection. www.motoport.com

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I wear the Kevlar Street Jeans made by Motoport.

I have worn them for two years now and can say that I have ridden in all types of weather with them. I like the fact that they look like jeans but offer protection like no others.

My wife is encouraging me to get us the Air Mesh Kevlar so she can wear shorts for when we get to our destination so I might be getting them as well this winter.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Docker shorts :twisted:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wear sliders kevlar jeans and my wife wears draggin jeans. Nice but can get a little warm. Next year I plan on getting us some different pants but we will still wear these some.

James

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realized as most of us do, that jeans are comfortable in the summer riding season...but I have been down several times and loosing some skin is not good. I seem to forget the experience of pain, but not the fact that I went through it. So now I'm debating safety over comfort. I want to save my hide but want to stay comfortable. I also wear jeans while riding and have thought of another dump...the kevlar jeans seem promising but as noted keep you warm...mesh pants, also intersting but over jeans? won't that keep you warm also? Where no jeans you say...just the mesh pants...interesting...How do that work out for you?... :roll:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
First Gear Mesh overpants down to low fifties, cover them with vinyl raingear below that. The liner is a pain to put in then take out if it warms up. More comfortable than jeans in hot weather.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Levi 505's...Frogg Toggs bib pants when it rains. I worry about those mesh pants...imagine they would kinda melt into your skin...after sliding along the road.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
Levi 505's...Frogg Toggs bib pants when it rains. I worry about those mesh pants...imagine they would kinda melt into your skin...after sliding along the road.
Not so. It has not happened to me but I have seen several guys go down with mesh and it held up nicely and prevented injuries. Try going down in your denim.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
azjerry said:
gwlrhfarm said:
Not so. It has not happened to me but I have seen several guys go down with mesh and it held up nicely and prevented injuries. Try going down in your denim.
Sad to say...I have (hense the OBAST membership) once around 20 MPH...alittle road rash but the pants had no markings...I cant speak of the Mesh though...i have only heard that 3rd hand from a ER Doctor.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Trust me on this, I've gone through a few since returning to riding 5yr ago and have since put 22k miles/yr on my BMW Summer pants. They breath so you stay cool in warm/hot weather. I wear them in temps 40-100 then wear Tourmaster Cortech cold weather over pants. Both come with knee/hip pads and the Cortech are rain/wind proof. If I were to buy a new jacket, it would be the Cortech Transiton, the inner liner zips out as well as the outer shell to convert from cold weather to mesh jacket for hot weather.
The BMW pads are CE approved and come with optional hip/femur pads that are quite firm/hard and would really protect in a get off. I took out the optional hip/femur pads and just leave the knee pads in, its more comfortable that way to me. I know I should leave them in but I prefer it this way.
I also have a Cortech Air Magnum leather perforated jacket with CE pads in shoulder/back, good in temps 40-80. If I have a get off, I hope I'm wearing this jacket. Then a Firstgear Mesh jacket for temps 60-100.
Don't forget the Cortech GX air gloves for hot temps, Cortech Scarab RR gloves for cooler temps and Cortech cold weather for cold riding. Cortech gear is really well made and holds up a long time. I also use their soft luggage on sport touring /adventure bikes.

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts