GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a couple of threads here about how riding jeans are not theat good, and I usually ride in Duluth fire hose pants, I was looking into getting a pair of riging pants for the summer. I came across the First Gear Kilimanjaro pants. They state they are made of 420 denier nylon. Is that any good? Would I be better off just wearing my fire hose pants. I cant afford to spend a lot of money. Trying to put my daughter through school, but I want to be safe. Considering a jacket also.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I wear and highly recommend MotoPort stretch Kevlar jacket and pants, but I wore a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket before I managed to find pre-owned MotoPort at a price I could afford. I really liked the Kilimanjaro, so I would say go for it. The 420 denier is a good heavy count so will be better than most. Nylon gets some bad press because it supposedly may melt due to friction, but it is a lot better than most gear!

IMHO, Glen

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
After seeing a couple of threads here about how riding jeans are not theat good, and I usually ride in Duluth fire hose pants, I was looking into getting a pair of riging pants for the summer. I came across the First Gear Kilimanjaro pants. They state they are made of 420 denier nylon. Is that any good? Would I be better off just wearing my fire hose pants. I cant afford to spend a lot of money. Trying to put my daughter through school, but I want to be safe. Considering a jacket also.
The Motoport people recommend a minimum of 500D Curdura, but I don't think that is any kind of a "magic" number, but just a threshold they have picked. Most people consider a jacket to be more important than pants. I rank things like this: helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and then pants. However, I don't worry about the relative importance of each item because I wear them all 99+% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Get yourself a set of Colorado Chaps made of ballistic nylon, and a Bilt jacket. The chaps protect your pants and what's underneath, and as friends found out when they went down in Canada, the Bilt Jackets left them unharmed. He walked away with a couple bumps and bruises, she would have walked away unscathed, but the bike landed on her when it tumbled. Needless to say, they had to cut her gear off, so it was destroyed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Don't have a recommendation but just want to say that I too of late have been riding in Duluth fire hose pants. I guess they are somewhat better than plain denim jeans but not much. Last summer while wearing a pair and walking a steep trail, I took a spill and and slid a very short distance. One of the pant knees tore wide open. They won't be much help to prevent road rash or provide any other hoped for protection in my opinion.

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
Those Firstgear Kilimanjaro pants would be an excellent choice they probably have 10 times more protection than your current fire hose pants ! I have actually worn out a couple pair of Firstgear over pants very similar to the Kilimanjaro but without the suspenders, in my opinion they are excellent quality .

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Generally speaking, if you've never purchased specific motorcycle riding apparel, your best bet would be to physically go to a reputable establishment and physically try things on.

Motorcycle pants have very different fitments in the same size, depending on vendor. Many will complain about length...as in, they're too long, even for those that might come in short inseam lengths off the rack.

Yep, I traveled seven hours to go to an establishment and tried on a couple of different models before deciding to get what I got - Tourmaster Venture Air 2.0

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you don't mind getting an used gear, check out Adventure Rider forum, click on "Gear", than on "Flee market".

A good selection of used riding gear for every budget. Some of it barely used for a fraction of a price. That might be a good start before spending some serious money...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Bilt has a great warranty but they tend to need it because it isn't the best stuff. But much better than fire hose and that is a bit better than just denim.

If you can find a good deal on higher end used stuff that fits, and if you have the time and patience and luck to do it, then great. Otherwise, OK stuff that you have and wear is better than less OK stuff or great stuff that you don't have or anything that you don't wear.

When I went down in July, I was sure glad I had hip pads. They're frequently not included, or maybe even not supported. They're on my list of must-haves now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Another plug for First Gear. I have daily commute back and forth to work in Pacific NorthWet winters for 14 years on my Concours. My first pair of First Gear riding pants went 6 years of on and off daily before the zippers blew out, and I never got wet. My next pair I went less expensive brand and had some cool features I liked. The zippers went out in a year, and would also soak through in a hard rain. More than once I got to work and looked like I pee'd my pants because they were just plain NOT waterproof as stated. So I am back to First Gear over pants and jackets. -- I am sure there are other good brands out there. And by no means am I the hardest on gear, but on and off morning and night, two hundred plus days a year and a chunk of those in the rain, I am a total First Gear fan.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a bit on the large side. 5 ft 10 inch 270 lbs.I went with the first gear Kathmandu over pants. 420 d protection. They are an over pant so I figure in the colder months I can wear my fire hose pants under them and in the hot months either just my skivies or a pair of shorts. I commute daily from spring to fall on the bike so I can wear my work clothes underneath these and be a bit safer on the expressway into Boston. Ordered from Revzilla and hope to have them by the end of the week. I will write up a review after a few rides but unfortunately only half way through winter here in Mass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts