GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice/opinions on riding pants. Here are a few of the things I'm looking for:

My primary motivation is protection, if I should go down, material, armor, etc. Not interested in leather, prefer the synthetics.

Since I live in a warm climate, I'd like something that I can wear in the heat, but also something with a removable rider for when the temperature drops in the winter and/or riding in the mountains.

Not too concerned with rain resistance, as I have weather gear in the bike to put on.

I'd like something that can be worn over street clothes (jeans, shorts, etc.).

Here are a few I am considering:

FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants
FirstGear HT II OverPants
FirstGear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants

Any and all recommendations/opinions, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

G

·
Well, you sure can't go wrong with First Gear. There are companies that make blue jeans with safety features, riders underwear, even individual safety add ons.
I have tried alot of them and some work, some don't and some get better or worse with use. So it's really hard to say as body type and personal taste effect each item.
Having said that, the Mesh-Tex are probably the ones I like best of the slip-overs.

Pat

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I live in central Alabama and there is not 1 pant for everything. Firstgear HTII work well for colder weather and go on and off over clothes easily because of the full length leg zippers, but they are too warm in summer even with liner removed. Firstgear Meshtex are good during summer but are harder to get on and off over clothes. With all Firstgear order your actual size because they are sized to go over clothes. I like the Tourmaster Air Intake jacket the best because it seems to work better in the warmer months and the liners will take it into winter.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Richard is right: no one pant for all conditions, but I can wear my FIRSTGEAR Mesh overpants as cool as the high fifties. I wear them over just underwear. If it is consistenlty cooler, I will wear longjohns underneath and rain pants on top and they will serve me as cold as I want to ride. I do have Gerbings socks and jacket liner so that certainly helps. The zipper broke on my FG so I had a seamstress put in a velcro fly . Other than that, they have served well for several years.

As for the protection, not as good as leathers or heavier textiles, but better than jeans. I have no first hand experience but have seen a few others who have at least avoided road rash with the mesh.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I agree also with the above. I was looking fora cooler weather overpant and choose the HT 2.0. I like them very well for the cool weather riding in the morning, and they come off easy when it warms up. they keep off the wind and the rain (so they claim, haven't got them wet yet). I use them with the liner in. Have not really looked for warm weather pants yet, but will next spring. FirstGear also has tall sizes. I wear a 40-34 pant, and got a 40 tall that fits just right. Legs are good and long.

I too use the TourMaster Intake jacket.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Go with one of the First Gear Mesh pants. Either keep the liner in if you want it warmer or unzip it out and you have something much cooler. In both cases you have great protection so you can wear then every time you ride.

DaleC

P.S. Good for you to go with the protection. Too many don't dress for the fall and have their heads up in the clouds IMO.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
If your primary motivation is protection, I'd suggest Motoport. I have the Ultra ll Air Mesh Kevlar suit.

However, ANYTHING is better than nothing. and, with a Mesh suit, you can put jeans, longjohns, or nothing underneath for warmth or comfort.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have the FG HTII mesh pants. Mostly I just wear them without the liner, over either jeans or underwear, depending on how hot it is. When it gets cool out, I zip in the liner which effectively keeps out the wind and the rain. This setup is amazingly warm at colder temps, down into the 30's. For colder than that, I have the FG non-mesh, insulated riding pants. Both sets of pants have armor in the knees and hips where it's needed.

For a jacket, I normally wear the FG Meshtex jacket with a FG outer water and windproof jacket that rolls up into a very small roll when I don't need it. My jacket is the first edition of the Meshtex jackets, so it doesn't have the zip in wind/waterproof liner. Actually, this is a better setup, anyway. That along with my Gerbing jacket liner keeps me quite comfy when it's cold out. My other jacket is a FG Killimanjaro Air jacket. It moves a lot of air when it's warm out and the liner, which is also insulated, is waterproof and windproof, and by itself keeps me warm down to some pretty cool temps. Again, the Gerbing is what keeps me warm and happy when it's cold out. Either jacket combo is great and a greata value for the money spent. Both are well armored, as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DaleC said:
P.S. Good for you to go with the protection. Too many don't dress for the fall and have their heads up in the clouds IMO.
Like "they" say, "you dress for the slide, not the ride".

Thanks to all that responded, I ordered the Firstgear HT Air 2.0 Overpants from Newenough.com (thanks for the tip Gary, AKA Rodehard). I will report back how I like them.

Again, many thanks!

Mike

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,686 Posts
Hope you enjoy your Firstgear pants. Also, hope you never really have to test them.

Look at motoport.com (as has been suggested by others in this thread) when you are ready to replace the Firstgear pants. Great protection and versatility.

Ride safe.

Bob E.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have to say www.motoport.com also.

Make sure you read the Save Your Hide. Very informative.

Talk to the owner.

Told me that for 10 years no matter what happened on or "coming off" the bike he'd fix.

Long wait for order though.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have Tour Master for those cold/cool days.. armoured in the right places
and its rain proof... removable liner.. reasonably priced if you check around..
summer riding I use Joe Rocket mesh.. again armoured for protection
reasonable priced..

cosmic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts