GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the joe rocket alter ego pants ? I have the jacket and love it, but I'm woundering if the pants would be to hot in summer even with the small amount of mesh . I like my leather chaps but to hot for summer . They also bother my knees after a couple of hours . I hope a good pair of loose over pants will fix some of my knee problems . I will ware blue jeans under them . Any ideas ? First gear has a pair of all meash with liner that look good but I can't think of what they are called right now . thanks

G

·
check out www.motorcyclesuperstore.com. they carry most of the name brands of riding gear at competitive prices. bought my wifes fieldsheer stuff there and i just ordered my fieldsheer four season mesh riding pants from them last week. you may find what you like there.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have had the Alter Ego's for most of 2006. I have ridden with them when the heat index was 114 (with the zip out's removed and only wearing tighty whities beneath (asked my son if he wanted to play golf when I got home that day and he whined that the heat index (by that time) was 110)) and when the actual temp was 34 (with sweat pants).

They are comfortable, stylish and (hopefully, because I have not, yet, crashed with them) protective. They are not water proof or water resistant. Got wet in the butt, this summer in the Asheville, NC area during a heavy rain storm, but that is why they come with a rain liner.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 500 mile roundtrip to visit my Mom in a nursing home with the morning temp expected to be about 34 (with the rain liner inserted for a wind break. I will also wear thin nylon insulated underwear. I have not worn this combo before, so this will be a test, of sorts) and an expected high temp of 55 during the trip. They will be connected with the integrated zipper to my Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 3/4 coat.

I also have the Alter Ego jacket and it is an excellent jacket as well.

I love them, needless to say.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
rider1, this is so funny (at least to me).

This morning, as I was leaving on my trip to see my Mom, I made it a mere 3 blocks, with the temperature at 41, before I turned around and returned home to switch out the nylon long under wear and rain liner, for just the sweat pants and Alter Ego pants. I was sweating at 41 deg and knew if the temps got ANY warmer I would be in trouble.

With the Ballistic 5.0 jacket and Alter Ego pants w/sweat pants only I was comfortable for the entire ride with the temps topping out at 67 at my destination.

I think I could ride down into the 20s with the long underwear and rain liner.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gray_red_rider I know what you mean . Thanks for the info could you give me an opion on what size would be good over blue jeans ? Should I go a size over my street close ? I think I'll go with the joe rocket, but I saw these and I like the looks of them but I don't think they would do for an over pant in hot weather http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =715496450
I ride to work more than anywhere else so something that covers a wide tempture range is just the ticket . That is why I like my alter ego so well .
I was someone started a thread on the above pant. I'll be watching it too .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
When I bought the Alter Ego pants initially I tried them on over blue jeans and chose them because there is a reasonable amount of leeway with the built in belt. The Honda dealer that I bought mine from allowed me to take them home and try them on, with the assurance that I could return them for an exchange.

I have the XL size and a 38 waist, if that helps.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that does help I'm a 38 also . Thanks ! Hope the weather is good where you are at, it's been in the 60-70 range all weekend here :D
Ride safe

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pants

Rider1,

The First Gear pants you are talking about are the HT Air Overpants 2.0. These are mesh pants with a removeable inner liner that is windproof and water proof. They are made to be worn over your jeans or shorts. They can be worn without the liner when hot, with the liner during rain or cold weather. Works great winter or summer.

I have been using for over a year now and really like them. I just ordered a pair for the wife for x-mas.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brian9650 help me out here this is the first gear I'm talking about
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =715496450
are these one and the same ??? When the add says Vent buy zippers I take it that they just open holes for air to pass . The alter ego on other hand have a panel that comes off . Sounds like more air could get in, not as much as full mesh but more than the pant in ? above .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pants

Rider1.

No, the ones you show in the Directline link are not what I am talking about. Those are overpants and would only be good in cold weather.

The link to newenough.com that Jolly Jim gave is for the HT Air Overpants 2.0. These are what you want. They are mesh on the outside and have the zip in lining. Newenough has about the best price on these I have seen on the net. Just order the same size as you wear in Jeans. They are already sized to wear over your pants. The other great thing about these is the fact they zip/unzip the full length on both sides so they are breeze to put on over your boots. Just unzip each side, step in and zip up! I wear these with the matching First Gear Meshtex II Jacket, which also is mesh and has the zip in liner. This makes a great combination for hot (liners out), cold (down to about upper 50's with liners in) and for rain wear. With this outfit you only need to carry the jacket and pants and it's all you need. If it get colder, anything below 55 degrees, I wear my Goldwing Millenium Jacket witht the pants. This combination is good to at least freezing.

The link for the pair on ebay is the older version and is a womans size 14. The womens are cut different than the mans and do fit a little different. I tried on the wifes and the cut is different than mine. If the price is right it could be a consideration.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks to all . I think the wife has made the call for me . I was talking about the different pants and she said its winter get winter pants anyway you can't get any kind of pant until after Christmas . I'll let you now how it comes out :?

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
i used to have a pair of firstgear HT air overpants and as long as the weather was nice they were great-very comfortable, very quick and easy on-off

if it rained my but got wet-everytime, but my legs stayed dry :D

when the temperature dropped into the 50's i got very cold even with the linner in, i guess a lot of folks can take the cold a lot better than i can

after owning them for about 3-4 months i contacted firstgear and they were happy to exchange them for a pair of the regular HT overpants, all i had to do was pay for shipping the HT air pants to california

if i lived where it's a little warmer most of the time i would probably still have the HT air overpants

iwing the HT air overpants fit nicely over my boots, can't remember for sure but i think they had a velcro closing strap at the bottom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts