GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many posts on riding jackets; but not too many posts on riding pants. I am trying to find a pair of riding pants (jeans or textile) that offer protection without looking like they belong in a 'mad max' movie...or that look like football pads. I would like the pants to offer both armor protection (knees and hip) and slide protection.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Briar
Clearwater, Florida
2008 Dark Red

· Registered
3,341 Posts
There will be plenty. Might I suggest Bohn Armor and Draggin Jeans. I also like my mesh pants when really hot but that may fall into the "unwanted look" you discribed. I really don't care because they are cool, protective and easily removed.
Good hunting

· Registered
757 Posts
:cool: I wear First Gear HT Mesh Overpants year round. Summer with shorts under them and winter with jeans with liner in the Overpants. Works for me. Of course I rarely ride when it's below 40 deg or over 100 in summer. That's just me. Your experience may be different. ;)

By the way, you can pick them up from the sponsor HLD. :bow:

· Registered
24,623 Posts
Having run the gauntlet and having owned various pairs of riding pants, and most looking like you say. ;) Or the knee pads dragging your ankles when standing and up at your waist sitting, I had just about given up on the pants thing.

However check out Scorpion products. They have both textile and leather riding pants, both with armor, both well designed and both look nice.

There is a pair of kevlar ones too, made for the motorcycle cops, they are nice, but very pricey. Of course the Scorpion ones are not cheap.

Kit

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Just got a pair of new riding pants and jacket last week. First Gear Kahtmandu. The fit is true to size for me and very comfortable. Have not rode with them yet. But we do have the mesh First Gear Jacket and pants for hot weather riding, that we love.
So far the only complaint I have is the zipper on legs do not zip high enough to slip on with my boots on.
Heres a great site for riding gear.

http://www.newenough.com/

Here are the pants I just received last week.
http://www.newenough.com/protective...r_kathmandu_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

Lee

· Registered
164 Posts
I have 3 sets. A set of AeroStich Darrians, a set of TourMaster Mesh, and a set of Carhart 12 oz sailcloth "double layer" jeans.

The only ones I have ever been "down" in were the Carharts, they're not armored, but the 2 layers of heavy sailcloth seemed to be enough. I scubbed thru 1 layer in a couple of spots, but it never got to the skin and that was about a 40 ft slide at 30 MPH. I never impacted anything and I didn't tumble, so don't take that as representitive of anything except that one accident.

In the spring and fall, I mostly use the Darrians and in the summer, I mostly use the Tourmaster when I am actually out touring. For short trips around the house and into town I use the Carharts.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
I suggest you forget about what they look like and be concerned more with protection and comfort. I wear mesh over-pants that I can add liners to, and don't give a flip about fashion statement. If it looks like Mad Max or Mad Pid, I don't care. I can even wear them over shorts for really hot weather. They zip off quickly, so I can wear them to work and still be "business casual" for the company.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all of the suggestions. It helps having the input of other riders to start the process. I will do a little research on each of the brands mentioned and see if one is right for me.

Briar

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Hey Briar
I would put allot of weight on how they work and little on how they look. Personal experience with hitting the concrete. I’m glad I had my pants with the quality armor installed. When I was laying on the highway I herd many folks say “I’m glad your not hurt worse” and not one “I wouldn’t be caught dead in those pants”
Most riding pants you can remove easily and have your jeans or shorts on under them.

My two cents.

· Registered
164 Posts
Yah and I need to add that although there was no road rash from not having armour in the Carharts, my knee did get banged up pretty good. Enough that I probably won't use "non-armored" pants anymore. Just straight road rash protection is not enough.

G

·
You might want to read the info on the Motoport/Cycleport website about the differences in shear strength of the various cloth materials, very interesting. I can tell you that the Kevlar is expensive but appears to be well worth the cost.

But hey, make up your own mind. If safety is your utmost concern then Motoport deserves your attention.

http://www.motoport.com/Default.asp

· Registered
2,530 Posts
I have the Motoport/Cycleport for cold/cooler weather riding...however I am not sure they meet your requirements regarding "look" or "style"

For warmer weather the First gear MeshTex

Both offer excellent protection...perhaps the Motoport moreso but they are quite heavy in the warm weather...it is a choice I make...the First Gear are far better than any jeans

I believe that any pant that offers real protection will look like a motorcycle pant

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Pants

For overpants I suggest the Olympia. The leg zipper goes up much higher than most other pants and makes for easy on/off even with boots on. If you just want levi style pants, look at Gusset Jeans. They have some with kevlar in the right places, but look much like regular jeans. They are very comfortable too.

· Registered
501 Posts
You might want to read the info on the Motoport/Cycleport website about the differences in shear strength of the various cloth materials, very interesting. I can tell you that the Kevlar is expensive but appears to be well worth the cost.

But hey, make up your own mind. If safety is your utmost concern then Motoport deserves your attention.

http://www.motoport.com/Default.asp
+++++++++++++++++++++11111111111111111111111111111
What I did was send them my favorite fitting blue jeans. I could just barely get my Gerbings pants liner underneath these blue jeans. I then marked my knee locations with masking tape sitting on the bike. I told them I wanted the length 1 inch longer than the pants. Make blue jean pockets and no reflective stripes and no logo on the front flap.
Great protection, great custom fit, and a pretty much normal look. Protection first and appearance ran a close second. I wear them year round. Kevlar texile mesh pant.
Do yourself a favor and do read their website. Roadrash sucks and these pants really work.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks for the link to Motoport. I learned alot about kevlar. I think I need to adjust my attitude toward protective gear. You may have saved a lives and a lot pain. You just don't know who's or how many yet.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
If you just want levi style pants, look at Gusset Jeans. They have some with kevlar in the right places, but look much like regular jeans. They are very comfortable too.
Damm straight!
My Draggin Jeans just went the the back of the closet now that Diamond Gusset is making kevlar's too. The larger crotch area is great. The "boys" now have some room vs the smug fit of all the others and the velco bottoms on the legs to prevent flapping is a nice extra.
JU

· Registered
3,387 Posts
Hey Briar
......When I was laying on the highway I herd many folks say “I’m glad your not hurt worse” and not one “I wouldn’t be caught dead in those pants”
Most riding pants you can remove easily and have your jeans or shorts on under them.

My two cents.

LOL !!!

Now THAT'S FUNNY !!!

I like Motoport. I have the Ultra ll Kevlar set. Works well !

See the comparative analysis......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.