GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get one last 25 mile ride in yesterday as it was 56* and sunny. And then there's today...…………………..:frown2:

Attachments

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
934 Posts
Time to ride South!!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, BUT usually put my bike away around the first of November.....

Reasons: It's still warm enough that I can winterize it properly and put her away correctly.....Many folk wait till it's -10* below 0, or it snows, then they just put it in garage..OR even worse and leave it outside and place a tarp over it..... they did not change oil / filter before hibernation, they did not add any fuel stabilizer to the gas, they did not lift tires off the ground, they did not wax the chrome, they did not place a battery tender on battery, They did not top off and fill tank with good fuel ...ect.ect Then they wonder why it doesn't start or run correctly when warm weather returns...

Yes I know that there will be a few more nice riding days, after November, BUT like I mentioned above.....Why put a $20,000 machine in hibernation without doing it correctly, and wonder why, it fails to start, or it looks like shi# and all rusted up..........My 2cents rant over!

Ronnie

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I got done with work mid afternoon and joined a couple buddies who had started out around noon until the one guy with the Triumph Tiger had a flat rear tire (unrepairable-leaking thru the spokes, no puncture found) and caught up with them while waiting for his wife to bring the trailer. Filled the tank on the way thru town. Finished up my 140 miles just by dusk/dark. Startron fuel enzyme treatment added and parked it in the shed. Temps in the forecast future don't show anything above 35* until it gets into cold weather time. Wing riding is probably done for me this season.
The next season of riding will look more like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Rode the Wing to the mechanic on Friday for two new tires and an oil change. Was 39 degrees; a lot colder than I normally like for riding. But when I got home I decided to wait before putting it to sleep for the winter. I’m still hoping for some good riding days before we get the first snow and salt, for the winter. Winterizing takes me about 10 minutes after I do a quick wipe down of the bike to get any obvious grime off the paint. I add Stabil, run the engine a few minutes, hook up the Battery Tender, stuff rags into the pipes to keep critters out, and put a cover over the garaged bike. If an unusually nice day comes up during the winter it takes no time at all to “un-winterize” the bike and go for a ride.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It was 86 yesterday in So Cal so I took a ride around in town next to the mountains, it was a clear beautiful day. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It is 40 now 38 about an hour ago. Beautiful sunny Sunday morning. Wife neighbor and myself heading out in just a few minutes for a nice brisk fall ride. We will ride 2 or 3 hours stop for lunch the find a different route home. One of those last minute things. should be nice ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As long is there is not snowing or snow on the roads I am good. Every day I ride except rain on the way to work. Do not like working in wet clothes. But it could be pouring cats, dogs and frogs on the way home And that is no problem.

Reactions: Hoopdc and JoeHall

·
Registered
678 Posts
I used my heated gear for the very first time to get to Delaware two weeks ago.

I now know why you need "controllers". I just thought if some heat was good...more must be better, right?

Wrong. My arms got roasted and there was a "funny" new smell.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
It is not just peaches here either. It is down to 76 degrees AND I had to put the cover on the pool today, so I couldn't ride!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
82* here today - beautiful blue skies and perfect riding weather.

It only took a year and a boat load of money to move here, but it was worth it.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As long is there is not snowing or snow on the roads I am good. Every day I ride except rain on the way to work. Do not like working in wet clothes. But it could be pouring cats, dogs and frogs on the way home And that is no problem.
One of the cold weather riding issues in a state like MN is once we get some snow they (MN DoT and county plow crews) salt (chloride and other very corrosive chemicals including some nasty dyed liquid stuff) and sand the daylights out the roads. I'm not getting sticky corrosive stuff all over and into every inaccessible crevice of the bike (and rider). It really takes a toll on our vehicles in just a few years. The sand/gravel also make for a big safety issue well into spring until sufficient traffic and rain clears it away.
Once it snows, riding the bike is usually over until May for me. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
One of the cold weather riding issues in a state like MN is once we get some snow they (MN DoT and county plow crews) salt (chloride and other very corrosive chemicals including some nasty dyed liquid stuff) and sand the daylights out the roads. I'm not getting sticky corrosive stuff all over and into every inaccessible crevice of the bike (and rider). It really takes a toll on our vehicles in just a few years. The sand/gravel also make for a big safety issue well into spring until sufficient traffic and rain clears it away.
Once it snows, riding the bike is usually over until May for me. It's just not worth it.
^^^^^^^
Agree 100%
These bikes cost way too much to have them go to $hit in a couple of years due to salt and liquids they put on our roads one the first snow/ice event happens.
Not matter how well you wash the bike you can NOT get it all off.

I made the mistake with a brand new '98 GL1500 and rode it to early in the season......within months I saw corrosion all over the engine, fasteners, and other areas.

Several good spring rains and I'm out riding, but not until then. Patience is worth it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well it is pretty cool here in SoCal also, however the forecast is for warming up. You people in the colder climates have to find cold weather hobbies, I always enjoyed many winter activities , snowmobiling, ice fishing, skiing etc, there is a lot to enjoy about winter, while getting older I didn't enjoy snow removal, driving on icy roads or the bitter cold. There is more to life that motorcycling. "Bloom where you are planted" jmop

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Been riding year round here for the past 17 years and it hasn’t had much of an effect on my wing, but I do have a nice garage so it’s pretty easy to give it a good wash job when needed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts