GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same thing as last year. Except for a few days, we have been 10-20 degrees below normal for the past two months. I have been riding, but it still hasn't been great riding weather. It sure does make for a short season.

I wish some of that global warming would actually become global.;):shock::lol:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Same thing as last year. Except for a few days, we have been 10-20 degrees below normal for the past two months. I have been riding, but it still hasn't been great riding weather. It sure does make for a short season.

I know times are tough for everyone, but for about 500 bucks or less, you can ride comfortably year round as long as there's no frozen H2O on the roads. Invest in some electric clothes and you'll be smiling when it's in the 20's.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

Did almost 1K miles around SE oHIo and central oHIo a weekend ago Larry. Sure no complaints from me, except it was hotter than here in Florida!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I know times are tough for everyone, but for about 500 bucks or less, you can ride comfortably year round as long as there's no frozen H2O on the roads. Invest in some electric clothes and you'll be smiling when it's in the 20's.
+1:agree:We are luck here in the south. I ride year round, in the winter leather jacket and chaps. Last year my wife got me heated jacket and gloves. What a difference that made. I am considering heated pants this year. If you enjoy riding it will be worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

Time to move. Thats what I did about 10 years ago now. Got tired of winter. Quit my job after 21 years. Packed up the family and moved to Texas. No regrets and I ride year round. Its great.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trialsman, I do have electrics, and normally can rid 9-10 months out of the year. But I still enjoy the warmer weather bar better. I will ride down to freezing, but year round would still be out of the question. We can sometimes go 2 months with the temps not getting out of single digits.

Wingjammer, you are one lucky dude. You picked the only good riding weekend we have had this year. We did a lot last weekend too. Then right after that, the highs dropped 20 degrees again. Your pix really gave me the itch. Those SE Ohio roads rank right up there with the best riding you will find. I hope you came far enough north to hit Amish country.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Riding Season??? We ride year round except for the few days ice and snow are present. Proper clothes and attitude are keys to sucess. Rode in Tenn three months ago with the roads salted, now that was a mess. It actually corroded the front fork bolts.

Rode last weekend in the rain, the only other riders out there were Wingies. Good was to clean the under cxarrage. :joke:

Crazy :shrug:, but I do enjoy winter riding over the 100+ degrees in July and August.

Ride Mo, Polish less.

2-me

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time to move. Thats what I did about 10 years ago now. Got tired of winter. Quit my job after 21 years. Packed up the family and moved to Texas. No regrets and I ride year round. Its great.
Kurt:thumbup:
Yep, I agree. The cold hit me far worse than usual this year. That is probably why I'm really chomping at the bit for some heat. I'm ready. Criss and I have been talking about North or South Carolina, maybe even Georgia or Tennessee for a few years now. But as long as my Dad is still with us, I'm not going to leave him, so it will have to wait. Motorcycles and golf year round. Sounds like heaven.:lol:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

Hey,, you always have to look on the bright side,,,,
At least you can do SOME riding,,,
Some of us would love to even be able to ride even in 40 to 50 degree weather....

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Cold? Still?? I can fix that one for ya...

Approaching 100 degrees in a couple of days; I'll send ya about 20 of them later this week... :roll:

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Wingjammer - Nice pics! Were the first couple taken along Ohio/W. Virginia border? Looks familiar. I've been dying to ride 555 as well. My buddy loved it on his RT. What did you think??

I was out riding all that weekend you were up here. That weekend was the best we've had so far. Otherwise, it's been low-mid 60's. but, I like those temps. perfect for wearing the riding jacket and gloves. The weekend you were here was a sleeveless shirt and no gloves. Just HOT. The girl that went with me was loving it though, except her sunburn. hahaha

LarryM - You can't complain to much though. It's been OK so far. It could be worse. I remember SNOW at the end of April.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear ya' Hossman. At least the house and yard is ready for summer.

You know what's going to happen. Just like last year, it's going to go from stuck in the 60s straight to mid 90s. I love the hot summer days, but you can't beat sunny and 75, which is what it is supposed to be right now.

It looks like it might hit 60 and dry next Sunday. Those pics are really making me want to do a SE Ohio day trip. As much as I would like to pack the stuff away, I guess I will have to keep the Gerbings out a little longer. It will probably be in the 40s first thing in the morning.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hmmm 63 at 8:33 here at the coast,by mid day it will be 73.
Supposed to be 93 in the Dessert today (45 miles inland)

Seems like good riding weather to me.. :biker:

What the heck is Heated Clothing anyway..:shrug:
Oh ya I get it-Clothing that is heated by the Sun. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The girl that went with me was loving it though, except her sunburn. hahaha
Yeah, I can see were that would interfer with what you had in mind.......:lol:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
It's called "global warming" and is a way for the governments of the world to put further controls on the populace so we loose some more of our freedoms. When in actuality it is the beginning of a cooling period and possibly an ice age period. Don't ask the politicians, :eek:4:ask the scientists!:bow:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Wingjammer, you are one lucky dude. You picked the only good riding weekend we have had this year. We did a lot last weekend too. Then right after that, the highs dropped 20 degrees again. Your pix really gave me the itch. Those SE Ohio roads rank right up there with the best riding you will find. I hope you came far enough north to hit Amish country.
Furthest north we made it was Blacklick for a RTE. See reply to Hossman's post.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Wingjammer - Nice pics! Were the first couple taken along Ohio/W. Virginia border? Looks familiar. I've been dying to ride 555 as well. My buddy loved it on his RT. What did you think??

I was out riding all that weekend you were up here. That weekend was the best we've had so far. Otherwise, it's been low-mid 60's. but, I like those temps. perfect for wearing the riding jacket and gloves. The weekend you were here was a sleeveless shirt and no gloves. Just HOT. The girl that went with me was loving it though, except her sunburn. hahaha

LarryM - You can't complain to much though. It's been OK so far. It could be worse. I remember SNOW at the end of April.
We got into Pomeroy at 6:00 A.M. Friday morning the 24th. Did a "Ride into the Night" Friday night. Saturday was spent running between oHIo & WV sweepers. Yes, the parking lot shot is the oHIo River in Pomeroy. Saturday night we again rode into WV for a RTE, then on another night ride. The other river shot is south of Parkersburg, WV.
Early Sunday we took off for another RTE in Blacklick @ http://www.flanaganspub57.com/

Naturally, the long way home Sunday evening. Sunday we had about 60 show up on diserfied rides of all types. (www.rideohio.org) Monday early off and met at the Coffee Cup in Nelsonville. That ride took us to Big Muskie, on to Marietta picking up 676 to 555. Evening found us at the Kool Spot in Little Hocking for an exploded tomato platter. Tuesday, more WV & oHIo sweepers. Wednesday and Thursday rain outs. Yes Hossman, SE oHIo has some of the best riding anywhere. 555? Awesome!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pomeroy is a great little town. We always make sure we head through there. You were 5 weeks too early though. You will have to make another trip.
http://www.goldwingsandribs.com/
Hossman, are you going?

Galipolis is another great town along the river.

As often as I have ridden down that way, I never seem to have the time to stop by Hal's store. Too busy riding.:lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts