GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Its been a while since I have been on there, would really like to do it again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been a while since I have been on there, would really like to do it again.
It has gotten expensive to get on it. I think it twenty five dollars that gives you access for a week. I got a lifetime pass and you have to be 62 to get it. I took a trip from Front Royal Va to the end and picked up the Blueridge Parkway and took that to the end in Cherokee NC. It was a awesome trip and it took about three days and I stayed on top in the park the whole way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Location of ride
I was visiting family at Lake Anna. I live in Manassas VA so I rode out to Front Royal and got on the start of Skyline and took it down to route 33 and took that to the lake. It was a nice day trip.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To all those who plan on riding Skyline Drive, here are some things to consider:

1/ It's 100 miles long. Fuel up before you get on. Take some snacks and a coffee thermos if you can.

2/ Either get a Park Pass as mentioned earlier or pay cash but KEEP your ticket. You can re-enter for up to a week with that ticket.

3/ The speed limit is 35 Mph and depending on the day, is enforced with radar. You will have a hard time keeping it at 35 on a GoldWing! The Park Rangers drive white Ford SUV's Don't ask how I know! lol If you get pulled over for passing on a double yellow line, tell them the other driver waved you pass (works like a charm!) lol

3/ If someone gets behind you, use the next pull off and let them pass.

3/ Plan on 3-4 hours to ride it. Given the slow speed limit, slow drivers/RV's, and your desire to stop at the numerous pull outs it's a longer trip than you may plan for.

4/ Weather: I have been up there in some bad fog and it's super dangerous.

If you plan properly and have the right mindset, it's a wonderful ride. If you are in a hurry or really like to push it in the twisties, it will frustrate you.

Hope this helps someone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts