GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deals Gap. Now that thar is a pretty darned curvy road. Some folks have a problem with it during the DAY, never mind at night. If you like to ride the twisties at night, please tell me why. Tips appreciated. Why am I asking? No special reason, just curious about something I've never made a special point of doing.

• Am I missing something?
  • Should I double my dose of Testosterone and go try it?
  • Is it only for roads you know well?
  • Is it safer/better with auxiliary lights?

Thanks for your comments.

070109-nightriding1.jpg

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Talking to a police officer up there one day and he was telling me about all the critters that come out at night. Hitting an animal is not my cup of tea. I will stick to the daytime.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It's actually not bad at night. It's more peaceful, and the traffic really dies down. It's even easier to see oncoming traffic in the blind corners because you'll see their headlights coming. I haven't seen anyone really "run" the dragon hard after dark, although I'm sure it's been done. (Yellow Wolf's 24 hour deals gap ride for example)

One of my favorite rides was hitting it at 5:30am. It was dark, not a soul in sight... just a downright enjoyable ride. I have standard lights and cowl lights and didn't have any problems. I rode to the resort and hung out for a bit until the sun started coming up and then rode it a few more times, while having the whole thing to myself. The first traffic I saw was @ 7:00am.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Deals Gap. Now that thar is a pretty darned curvy road. Some folks have a problem with it during the DAY, never mind at night. If you like to ride the twisties at night, please tell me why. Tips appreciated. Why am I asking? No special reason, just curious about something I've never made a special point of doing.

• Am I missing something?
  • Should I double my dose of Testosterone and go try it?
  • Is it only for roads you know well?
  • Is it safer/better with auxiliary lights?

Thanks for your comments.
Talking to a police officer up there one day and he was telling me about all the critters that come out at night. Hitting an animal is not my cup of tea. I will stick to the daytime.
I agree with 2dogs. Hard enough to see around the curves during the daytime. Now it is easier to see oncoming traffic at night though. If taking it easy on the speed, not bad at all. But... if going at speed... to answer the OP, missing something - yeah, lack of any fun. Double the dose - well you won't need any no-doze if you try to do it at speed... For roads you know well - if you want to do it at any speed you'd better know the road. And the critters are more than willing to come out and say hi to ya. Safer with aux lights - most definitely. The 1800's lights are not made for cornering. The beam cut-off pretty much makes the corners blind because of the lean angle. Piaa or other lights are a must to be able to light up the sides while cornering. Bad part of that is they will also blind oncoming drivers. Who will then run over your butt since they are blinded by your aux lights.

So in a nutshell, I personally do not find enjoyment doing the twisties at night. On a road I know, not bad especially if no traffic. Otherwise, I can think of many things I'd rather be doing.

Now Yellow-wolf did the dragon at day and night, as he did a SS1000 on it many years ago. (note: due to speed considerations, IBA did not recognize the ride. But he did make the ride and is the only one to have done it on that road on a goldwing). Think he only got about 19 mpg doing it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Dragon

I've ridden the Dragon back and fourth, 3 or 4 times in the day light. I think I will stay riding it in the day time. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
I rode it at 3:30am. My lights were bright enough, but it occurred to me after some scraping some hard parts, that there is no cell signal, if I wipe out, I'll be there a while! lol
But very peaceful!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
RapidRay, YellowWolf and I did it up and down, at night, a year or so ago.

Would have been much more fun if I had set my Pia 1100's appropriately for the sharp turns. Most of the time, all the light was shining into the banks or out into oblivion and we were turning into unlit portions of road.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have had the pleasure to ride it at night and even at night with lightening striking all through those mountains. It's really a neat ride with the rain and lightening flashing. No traffic, stop on one of the pull offs, shut down the bike and turn the lights off. It is amazing how quiet it is up there and what you can hear moving around in the woods. Yes, there are several critters that can be seen up there after dark.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
need the right lights to make it fun
knowing the road really helps
at nite you only see whats important
you can see traffic coming
real fun following a row of taillites on a twisty road

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need the right lights to make it fun ...
Thank you all for your comments. Yellow Wolf, your comments makes me wonder how SHOULD the auxilary lights be set? I'm thinking they would be wired in with the high beams and set high and outside, but I'm having a hard time picturing the leaning and the turning and the road all at once.

Maybe I'll just buy a K1600GT with the adaptive lighting upgrade. :joke:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. Yellow Wolf, your comments makes me wonder how SHOULD the auxilary lights be set? I'm thinking they would be wired in with the high beams and set high and outside, but I'm having a hard time picturing the leaning and the turning and the road all at once.

Maybe I'll just buy a K1600GT with the adaptive lighting upgrade. :joke:
my big spots are crossed and aimed way high,as you lean the lite comes down and lites the road around the corner,and yes all my lites are wired to the hi beam

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the pleasure to ride it at night and even at night with lightening striking all through those mountains. It's really a neat ride with the rain and lightening flashing. No traffic, stop on one of the pull offs, shut down the bike and turn the lights off. It is amazing how quiet it is up there and what you can hear moving around in the woods. Yes, there are several critters that can be seen up there after dark.
When I was in high school, I did a "24 Hour Experience" in the woods of Petersham, MA. The quiet and the critters were very comforting. They make you feel whole. I was also surprised how much you can see in the dark. We weren't allowed flashlights on the "Experience."

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Infinite

Headlights make a figure-8 weave, resembling the infinite symbol. I've run it at night, not to clean out the injectors though. I didn't try to follow the lights but looked at the same place in the road I would look in the daylight, whether there was much light there or not. YW is right about only seeing what's important. I must say I never thought about tail lights snaking out in front of me. That does sound very pretty, maybe even mesmerizing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dragon at Night

Running the Dragon at night is a Blast. I make an effort do it every time I am up in the Gap area. Yes, it helps to have ridden the road in the daylight. I have the PIAA 1100’s and cross them so they are angled out at about 30 degrees. It helps to see the sides of the road. NO Traffic, NO Tourist and it is Beautiful in the Moonlight. Not for the Beginner or Intermediate Rider. Best,

DOC:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Riding at night is almost like a new road, it gives a whole new perspective and you see it in a totally different way. When I had the FJR with the Piaa 1100's, made one of my best runs ever thru there, got going and saw headlights in front and made it a point to run them down, caught them and saw more lights, did the same thing, this happened 3 times altogether. I got to the top and it was a good 5-7 minutes before my friends got to the overlook, swore I would never run it that hard at night again, but was a really fun ride!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts