GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone!
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post a question to get some good advice,as I have read lots of really good post here. This board seems full of knowledgeable members with lots of experience.
I'm heading to the South West on vacation again in two weeks. I really don't have a destination,just a direction(my vacations are not really planned I just play it by ear)
Anyway, my question is .... How do you carry enough liquid to stay hydrated between fuel fillups, and what do you drink? I always have a gallon of water with me but its not accessable.I always find i'm rationing water in my drink holder to the next stop

·
Registered
358 Posts
Water

Stop more often to refill your drink holder, or get a camelback.

I just drink water, lots of it.
bbc
:yes1:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Hello to everyone!
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd post a question to get some good advice,as I have read lots of really good post here. This board seems full of knowledgeable members with lots of experience.
I'm heading to the South West on vacation again in two weeks. I really don't have a destination,just a direction(my vacations are not really planned I just play it by ear)
Anyway, my question is .... How do you carry enough liquid to stay hydrated between fuel fillups, and what do you drink? I always have a gallon of water with me but its not accessable.I always find i'm rationing water in my drink holder to the next stop
A couple of suggestions:

A Camelback: Fill it with crushed ice and then water, wear it inside your jacket with the hose/bite valve sticking out the neck of your jacket. It'll keep you cooler (ice on your back) and, depending upon what size Camelback you have (50-100 oz), you'll have plenty of water.

If you feel the need for electrolytes, you can drink them when you stop for fuel/restroom/etc., or you can fill the Camelback with ice and add the Gatorade or whatever you like.

You can also use a jug, mounted on the side stand, with a drinking tube/bite valve. Same as with the Camelback, fill with ice and add water/gatorade.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hello to everyone!
The first thing you need to do is set your riding gear up so hydration is not a problem. I seldom need more than a couple of sips between fuel stops, I have a CamelBack mounted to the PAX grab rail with a tube and bite valve available but it is little used because I keep cool using evaporation. Do a search on LDComfort or PM me and I will give you a complete rundown.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of suggestions:

A Camelback: Fill it with crushed ice and then water, wear it inside your jacket with the hose/bite valve sticking out the neck of your jacket. It'll keep you cooler (ice on your back) and, depending upon what size Camelback you have (50-100 oz), you'll have plenty of water.

If you feel the need for electrolytes, you can drink them when you stop for fuel/restroom/etc., or you can fill the Camelback with ice and add the Gatorade or whatever you like.

You can also use a jug, mounted on the side stand, with a drinking tube/bite valve. Same as with the Camelback, fill with ice and add water/gatorade.
Thanks great ideas.....the camelback inside the jacket sounds great. I like the jug on the floorboard ....wife says NO!!!! :biggrin: (should have said I was 2 up)
The gatorade seems to work for me later in the day

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I see you are from Canada and I don't know how much 100+ degree heat you ride in. Tank to tank between stops all day long maybe a little much for you. The challange will be to eliminate fluid loss as much as possible. Get some kind of cooling system our at least wet down and have no skin exposed.

If you start feeling cool, stop.... you will pas out soon, it's called heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing you need to do is set your riding gear up so hydration is not a problem. I seldom need more than a couple of sips between fuel stops, I have a CamelBack mounted to the PAX grab rail with a tube and bite valve available but it is little used because I keep cool using evaporation. Do a search on LDComfort or PM me and I will give you a complete rundown.
I have just purchased a camelback but have never used one, it has the bite valve so it shouild be easy to use.I thought it might limit space for my wife but we will need to try it and see.I will search the LDComfort and have a look at that possibility
Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I see you are from Canada and I don't know how much 100+ degree heat you ride in. Tank to tank between stops all day long maybe a little much for you. The challange will be to eliminate fluid loss as much as possible. Get some kind of cooling system our at least wet down and have no skin exposed.

If you start feeling cool, stop.... you will pas out soon, it's called heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
Thanks for your warning! I have been to the South West 3 times b4 with my 1500 wing, but I needed to stop for fuel more often than I will with my 1800. I am aware of heat stoke and I'm trying to prevent it.I always wear full mesh gear and coolmax underwear. So I'm looking for ways to make it safe and enjoyable between fuel stops.
All tips are appreciated

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Bubba1 is the head guru for long distance riding in the heat! Listen to him!
Like an earlier poster is concerned, how well are you conditioned to the heat? Bubba1 is very well conditioned due to where he lives. Me, not so much, and you probably even less than me. Use the LD comfort, use the camelback, and do not try to push yourself too hard too far in the heat. When you start to feel bad/dizzy/ etc, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE! Don't be afraid to stop often, hang out in an airconditioned place until you have cooled and rehydrated well, and so on. LD comfort is a good tool, but how well you are acclimatized to the heat is also a big factor.
For what it's worth, I recently rode over 2 hours in 102 temps, and was in better shape than some previous trips in 91-92 temps b/c of my LD comfort gear. They do work!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I always wear full mesh gear
Not a good idea down here. We are going to be 105+ all week. Humidity will probably be 12% or under.

PM Bubba1 about the LD Comfort gear and he'll fill you in on how we stay cool(er) down in this part of the world.

Regarding the Camelbak, if you have a trunk rack just mount it there. That's how my wife stays hydrated. As for me, my Butler Cup with ice and then topped off with water will normally get me to the next fuel stop.

Do NOT put the Gatorade or similar drinks in your Camelbak unless you are very diligent about cleaning it out afterwards. If not, you'll have some gross stuff growing in there rather quickly.
:shock:

Photo shows my Butler Cup with plastic drinking tube so that I don't need to remove it from the handlebar. You can see the Camelbak with the insulated tube (important) on the top rack. Click on the photo for a large version.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bubba1 is the head guru for long distance riding in the heat! Listen to him!
Like an earlier poster is concerned, how well are you conditioned to the heat? Bubba1 is very well conditioned due to where he lives. Me, not so much, and you probably even less than me. Use the LD comfort, use the camelback, and do not try to push yourself too hard too far in the heat. When you start to feel bad/dizzy/ etc, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE! Don't be afraid to stop often, hang out in an airconditioned place until you have cooled and rehydrated well, and so on. LD comfort is a good tool, but how well you are acclimatized to the heat is also a big factor.
For what it's worth, I recently rode over 2 hours in 102 temps, and was in better shape than some previous trips in 91-92 temps b/c of my LD comfort gear. They do work!
ronab
Thanks for re-enforcing the seriousness of the heat . I will take the warning to heart.We often get temps in the 90's here with high humidity. I realize the desert heat it different and not to be played with.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was reseaching the LDComfort and it looks like the stuff to have.Thanks for the tip!
thanks guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regarding the Camelbak, if you have a trunk rack just mount it there. That's how my wife stays hydrated.

Great idea on putting a camelback on the trunk for my wife. I just never thought of that... She just carried a bottle in a holster around her neck

I knew I would get some great advice here!

·
Registered
128 Posts
consider .adding a cooling (evaporative) vest over your LD comfort gear. IT should really help in high temp/low humidity situations like you'll be running into. I use one here in KY when it's really warm (90+). Ride safe!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I never reaally plan my trips very well but I am thinking South TX. NM. AZ.Ihave been there b4 and I just love it.... so different from here in Southern Ontario
I've had my laugh for the day....great understatement :).

There are good places to see, eat, ride and just hang in Texas, see the current Texas thread and there is one about NM as well. If you love the desert, once west of Junction is close to heaven.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts