GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the AZ board... but since the ride took place in NV, I thought I'd post it over here too. :)

------------------------------------------

Well, had my first riding experience with the strong crosswinds you guys have around here.

Had to make a run up to Vegas today to talk with the folks at Camping World about some warranty work on my RV. Since I was in the area, I decided to head over to Boulder City and check out Hoover Dam before heading back south. That really isn't germane to the subject, except that it delayed my return by a couple of hours, so that I had to ride thru a few afternoon storm cells on the way back to Bullhead City.

Turning south out of Henderson, NV on US-95... I could see the dark clouds & rain showers ahead in the distance. It had been windy all day, but nothing compared to when I rode under that cell. IMMEDIATE strong headwinds, as the rain began to pour. About 2 miles into it, the wind suddenly shifted to an equally strong, but a 180-degree tailwind.

My first experience with what we in aviation call a microburst... Wow!

I rode in and out of a few more cells without event as I rode thru Seachlight and Cal-Nev-Ari, before turning east on NV-163 towards Laughlin.

Now is when I received my education on your crosswinds. Those of you who are familiar with the area should be able to picture it easily.

As I began climbing the ridge, up ahead I could see an almost complete brown-out of dust, dirt, and debris blowing from right to left across the road just past the raised terrain that was currently shielding me from the wind. Now I've ridden in pretty stiff crosswinds before, so I wasn't overly concerned... except for the constant stream of tumbleweeds & sticks I was seeing blown across the road.

As I passed by the hill, I readied myself for the onslaught to come... but not sure I was really ready for the assault I received. I leaned right, held the grips, and raised my right elbow to block a the blur of something I saw headed my way... and was still blown from the right lane midway into the left before I caught it. Knowing that stopping and waiting things out wasn't really an option at that point, I continued on... riding in a 20-to-30 degree right lean for the next 4 or 5 miles until I made the big left turn at the top of the ridge.

Once I got on the east side of the ridge, although the wind from the south was still pretty stiff... it was nothing like it had been on the west side, and the final 10 miles into Laughlin and across the river back into AZ were uneventful. But I now have a new appreciation for the winds I've read about you guys out here in the west experiencing over the past few years.

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
IT WILL KEEP YA AWAKE :bow:WAS IN KANSAS COUPLE WEEKS AGO. 100 DEGREE AND THEN HEADED RITE INTO STORM, HADE TO GET OFF INTERSTATE ,COULDNT KEEP BIKE ON ROAD ANYMORE. GOT A MOTEL. TEMP DROPPED BELOW 80 LASTED 2 HRS. MOTHER NATURE WILL GET YA IF YOU LET YOUR GUARD DOWN:?

·
Registered
436 Posts
The crosswinds in this area are nothing to laugh at. I rode I-15 south into California a few weeks ago heading to Palm Springs and it scared me. I was in the far right lane and then found myself in the far left lane with no conscious memory of it happening. Sometimes heading down 93 toward Searchlight and then over to Laughlin there are very often crosswinds at 90 degrees to the road. I have literally ridden all the way into Laughlin on a 45 degree lean because of the wind. In the summer it gets even worse. These winds here will kill you in a New York second.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd rather ride in a torrential downpour than heavy winds any day. The wind just beats the **** out of you. And its a NY minute.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Put somebody in the back seat. I think the extra weight works in the wind. Wife and I have ridden the Wing in the heavy desert winds with little difficulty. Sure my Wing would lean over, sometimes a lot, but nothing I felt uneasy about, I just let the bike do its thing in 30-40+ mph gusty winds - I don't try to fight it. I've had more problems with the wind trying to rip off my helmet than I have had with the wind blowing my bike around. I don't know if it's my sailing or aviation background but the wind isn't a factor for me - just something we must learn to live with.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Wife and I rode through 40mph subsatianable winds with gusts to 60mph . That was all I'm wanted to concour for 175 miles in Nebraska . Wife was really reall quite that ride . I was wore out and we did scrape pegs a few times doing 70mph . I slept like a baby that nite in a motel.
Never again , next time we stop and ride at nite if need be .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts