GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to get up to Alaska sometime soon, and am trying to pick up stuff I might need and have been pondering a purchase.

You hear of all the road construction and rocks getting flung about on the ride up there. So I have been watching ebay for a front fender and windshield garnish. The ones on my bike now are pinstriped and I do not want to have that damaged. So I would like to pick up some for a good price, put them on my bike for the ride, and then I can put my originals back on when I get home.

Thought of getting a bra, but I figured the rubbing would probably do damage it's self, so it wouldn't be much help.

Is this a valid concern, or is it a waste of time/money?

TIA

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've never been to Alaska but I would say you need to add a Tulsa belly pan and head lamp protecters to your list.....Probably around $75 for both and worth every cent!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GP Young said:
I've never been to Alaska but I would say you need to add a Tulsa belly pan and head lamp protecters to your list.....Probably around $75 for both and worth every cent!
Got both of those already :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
I drove the Al-Can (in a cage) last September. In theory, the road is all paved. In practice, there are a LOT of areas of road improvement and repair. The Al-Can is constantly being improved (which is a good thing) but that also means that there are constant construction zones. Also, due to the severe freeze-thaw cycle and occasional earthquakes up there, road repairs need to be done continually. So, yes, there will be lot of rough gravel roads. I've heard of bikers who rode to Alaska and then decided to ship their bikes back rather than tackle the Al-Can again. I've also heard of bikers who rode both ways and loved it. If just depends on your tolerance of rough roads. You also need to watch for the frequent "Falling Rocks" signs and scan the road for debris. In addition, watch out for animals on the road. You'll see all kinds of wildlife along the way, some of which enjoys sharing the road with you (see picture below). It's a beautiful trip, but there are definitely hazards along the way. Drive defensively, scan the road ahead carefully, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I'll have any problems with the roads, just don't want to have to tear up the bike too much. So I figure if I put some temp plastic on the front, then my pinstriped stuff will stay all purdy for when I get home.

There are some parts that go for pretty cheap on ebay... and I have even thought putting a black front on wouldn't look too bad... lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mike you might find this book very interesting it is written by a biker who is experienced with bike touring in Alaska. I attempted it once but chickened out. :x I would not recommend a solo trip. Here is a quote from the author:

Frazier says of this book: "Each year hundreds of motorcyclists realize their dream of riding their motorcycle to Alaska, America's last frontier. There are actually several ways to get there. It took me some time to learn how best to prepare for the options, how to save money doing so and how to avoid making costly mistakes. After answering questions and giving lectures on motorcycling to Alaska, I was finally convinced to publish a book that drew on my personal experiences as well as those of other adventurers who had made similar expeditions. ALASKA BY MOTORCYCLE has found it's way around the world. I am always amazed when I see it in someone's personal library, especially in places like Africa or New Zealand."

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/gregfrazier/alaska.htm

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mike...I would suggest a rear tire debris deflector. I got one from www.roadtripessentials love it. no drilling...just bolt it on to existing bolts. makes a great sound when you run in gravel..lol. helps guard against rear tire flats. they also offer front fender extensions and miscl colored items..like handlebar ends..which look pretty cool. I also got a front fender extension from them colored matched to the bike. great product and longer than most other mfg's.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
41 Posts
alaska

I too want to go to Alaska. I don't want the wear and tear on my Wing and I want to go all the way to Prudhoe Bay. There are a lot of miles on this route that are unpaved so I bought a V-Strom for this trip in June with the MTF. Can't wait, only 4 more months till time to go. Looks like there is gonna be about 20 of us up there for a BBQ on June the 20th at Wasilla Alaska.There is too much plastic to tear up on the Wing and the V-strom only cost half as much. I would worry too much if I was on the Wing , this way I can sit back enjoy the sites and not worry as much about the mud and muck and gravel ahead of me.

boB

·
Registered
22 Posts
We loved Alaska also

My wife and I and another couple from Indianapolis rode our Wings to Alaska last summer. We were out 24 days and covered 9810 miles. We had three days of down time because both bikes burned out an alternator and we had to have one overnighted to us in Fairbanks. Tommy has a spare with him. Tommy also tore up a tire on a sharp piece of stone that looked about like an arrowhead. We had no trouble with flying gravel and found nearly all the roads in pretty good condition. The only road I would never consider riding on again, is called the top of the world highway from Dawson Creek in the Yukon to Tok, Alaska. It was the worst road I have ever been on and I have been on a lot of roads in my 57 years. We rode to the arctic circle which has been one of my motorcycling goals for a long time. At Wasilla there is a Best Western Motel on Lake Lucille. It is the most beautiful spot in Alaska. We highly recommend staying there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ridin to Alaska

Mike, I plan on goin to Alaska this june & hookin up with th MTF bunch on june 20th for lunch at Wasilla. I'm renting ah KLR 650 in Anchorage ta ride to Prudhoe Bay & other points north. I'm thinkin if th weather gits really bad th Wing would be ah poor choice on th remote gravel roads north of Fairbanks. This will be th highlight of 30 some odd years of ridin for me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Ridin to Alaska

ron melton said:
Mike, I plan on goin to Alaska this june & hookin up with th MTF bunch on june 20th for lunch at Wasilla. I'm renting ah KLR 650 in Anchorage ta ride to Prudhoe Bay & other points north.
Maybe I'll plan on making next year's Wasilla lunch run and go with some other folk.

How much is the bike rental costing? Would be cool to ride up to Anchorage on the wing, and then get the KLR to head further north on.

Thanks for all the great responses!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
In July of 2001 I made a solo trip to both Arctic Circle locations on my Honda PC800 (Pacific Coast). It was a great trip, and had the time of my life. That particular year was one of the wettest July's on record, lots of construction, but no problem with throwing rocks. Just lots of mud. I took the Alaskan Highway to Fairbanks then on up the Arctic Circle in Alaska. After circling back down through Anchorage I went back north through Glennallen to Dawson City. After passing through Chicken to the "Top of the World Highway" and Dawson City I ventured north again to the Arctic Circle. I return via Whitehorse to Hyder and then home.
If you want to see some photo's and read a little, it's on my web site:
http://wills-domain.com/

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WinginHunk said:
If you want to see some photo's and read a little, it's on my web site:http://wills-domain.com/
Loved the pics... I gotta get up there!!
Think I will plan on this being my big ride for next year!
Hey Quickdraw... whatcha doing next year?? :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts