GL1800Riders Forums banner

241 - 244 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
239 posts and this is my first one. Admittedly, I only skimmed over a few of them so I'll throw in a few ideas while risking being redundant with other posters.

A little of my AK trip experience: I've made the trip from my home in ND 5 times between 2007 and 2018 on Gold Wings. I do not camp and the only time I reserved motels more than a day in advance was the time my wife accompanied me.
The roads in the north country have changed drastically for the better since 2007. Gone are the long stretches of diabolical frost heaved pavement. Hooray! The Alcan is now mostly a modern high speed highway and, indeed, a lot of motorists drive at whatever speed they like. On my last trip home from Alaska I did a 1400 mile day so road quality is no problem at all.
Another common question is about gas availability? Simply put, there is gas regularly available along the Alcan and Cassiar highways but unless you know what lies ahead it's a good idea to get gas anytime your bike gets to 1/2 full. I never carry extra gas and have had no problems as long as I refueled during normal business hours.
Cassiar or Alcan? Without question do them both!
Best time to go? My trips have been from early June through late July and it is possible to get cold, rain, snow, heat...you name it, at any time. However, I preferred the earlier time frame just because it is ahead of the main crush of tourists and it's easier and cheaper to get motel rooms.
Clothes: It will be cold and rainy. Electric gear is your best friend. Of course, you could get lucky and hit a warm, dry spell but don't count on it.
Guns? Definitely not
Bear spray? Did not need it in my motel rooms or on the road.
Time needed? My longest AK trip was 8400 miles which I did in 14 days. The shortest trip was 7000 miles in 9 days. I am not much of a rose smeller.
Highlights: Canadians, Muncho Lake, Icefields Parkway, Glen Highway, Seward, Skagway, Homer Spit
Lowlights: Watson Lake (it's a dive), Anchorage, Fairbanks....but then I prefer to not do much in towns.
Bottom line: Go!!!!

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
If the border(s) open on the 21st of June, do we still have to quarantine 14 days?Also, anyone know of any private campgrounds that are open? BC has closed the provincial campgrounds to non residents for the summer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Pooch, My crystal ball is kinda foggy. At this moment the quarantine is still in effect until June 5th. At that time it is changing but the change seems to apply to travelers who are flying into the state. They have to show proof that they were tested within 72 hours of flying. At this moment I don't have any firm info on the border opening up. Personally I don't think it's going to open but we will see.
I have been monitoring a lot of BC and Yukon news and it looks like if you get across the border there will be some private campgrounds but it's still too soon to know for sure.
I am still fearful that a lot of the remote gas stops may not survive.

241 - 244 of 244 Posts