GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I heading for Canton Texas Thursday for that First Monday Trade Days. I need some advise on just what Im getting myself into. Do they have a place for Bikes, best place to eat ect ect.... :roll: any inputs will help.. thanks Have a good ride..... :beer2:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I live close,but can't offer much in advise. My Wife Loves it but
I would rather take a beating than go to Canton. :lol:

I hope someone can give you some good info. and I hope you enjoy it. Everyone needs to see it at least once.
I really think a cage would be a better option for Canton. Traffic is terrible and you will need to haul lots of junk home! :shock:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bigdon....Not looking forward to it but the wife is. I suppose Ill find out my questions when I get there....take care

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take radios so you can keep in touch with the wife, unless you want to keep an eye on her shopping. We used to go all the time and also wore bright hats so we we could see each other in the crowd. With the radios you can shop at your own pace. I scan ahead looking for intersting tools etc. The wife likes to look an antiques and glassware. The good thing on a bike is you can't buy anything too big. They usually have a good selection of "food on a stick" for your dining pleasure. I think the wierded was cheescake on a stick. You might take somthing like a backpack to carry stuff and a few drinks. Oh, yah don't forget money... :D

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Canton ain't what is once was.. An amazing amount of real JUNK out there these days.. Literally.. truly. Not near as many places selling stuff you'd actually want to have as there were. We took the bike, drove into the mainparking as stuck it as close to the buildings as we could, did OK. There wasn't that much traffic day fortunately, and the lack of luggage space worked to *MY* advantage... ;)

Nuttin but fair food on the grounds... fast food around the area.. huge buffet place on 20 if you like the greasy "golden corral" sort of thing...

We won't be going back there for a long, long, time.... we found a really good stained glass place there, but they're from west texas, have a web site, and we have their card.. ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wife and daughters love it and from time to time have a booth there. I hate it. Think of the biggest garage sale in the world and that's what you are in for. If you are coming in on I-20 take the hwy 19 exit and head south. At the light at hwy 64 (main street) turn right . Just across from the court house ( a block or two) turn back right. Used to be a bike parking lot right at the main entrance. I second the walkie talkie advise. If one of you stop to look at something and turn around twice, you can get separated. Or, you can sit and wait while she wanders around and she can call you to tote her good deals. Looking for dogs, goats, snakes, mules, ***** or opossums, check out dog alley across the hwy on 64. Temps are a little cooler this week and looks like it should be below 90 for a change.

If you need tires, you can drop her off and head on down to see Eric Howell in Van. If he has any.

http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

·
Registered
634 Posts
Not looking forward to it but the wife is.

:lol:

Truly an example of the . . .

horned bull in the china shop thing!!!

I suspect such an ordeal will take your mind off "business" for a while. :lol:

Feel for you, Mr. Larrylee!! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big thanks to all. Leaving thursday morning around 8. Darcy only wants me there to be her pack mule. The whole problem with the getting seperated is that I have a wandering nature and have proven so in the past. I get chewed upon now and then but she has one of those "keep a child close bungi cords" she going to tie to me. Again thanks and ride safe to all :capwin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts