GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to ride up to NC/Tenn. area on Monday 05/16 and would appreciate any help on a route. I have trailered the bike up 75 many times but this will be my first time riding the bike up. I do enjoy back roads better than the slab. I will be travelling alone. Also if anybody wants to ride along let me know.

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
White 2018 DCT Tour
736 Posts
If you wind up sticking close to I-75, you might look at taking a slight detour, after Atlanta, through the mountain roads through the Dahlonega and Helen, GA areas.

Message me if you would like to talk about it.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
2021 GL1800B
195 Posts
I've ridden US-19 from Tampa to Atlanta a number of times. US-441 is good too. Either beats I-75 if you have the time.

·
IronMan
19,218 Posts
CK APP SCENIC ROADS
MY IPHONE MAPS GIVES 3 DIFFERENT WAYS IF YOU PUT IN NO TOLLS OR HIGHWAYS GREAT AREA TO RIDE ENJOY

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you like back roads I have a favorite route(s) that avoids all towns of any size. At the north end you have to pick Robbinsville, Franklin/Waynesville, or Dahlonega/Suches. If you choose Suches, GA60 will take you to Tellico Plains TN.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I have ridden from St. Pete to Deals Gap in one day. If was a full day 13 plus hours on the super slab. Two day ride on backroads IMO. During the week at sunrise The Dragon is all yours. Better riding than The Dragon all around but hey I was there and I wanted a Dragon sticker for my cycle. Wheels Through Time is a great museum in Maggie Valley. Enjoy whatever you do and stay safe.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I have ridden the Dragon a few times and agree early in the morning in the middle of the week best time to ride. But as stated there are a lot of nice roads up there. I am pretty sure I met you a couple of times at some VTX work get togethers. If you are him the last time I saw you was in Ocala and we talked about some rental property you owned.
I have ridden from St. Pete to Deals Gap in one day. If was a full day 13 plus hours on the super slab. Two day ride on backroads IMO. During the week at sunrise The Dragon is all yours. Better riding than The Dragon all around but hey I was there and I wanted a Dragon sticker for my cycle. Wheels Through Time is a great museum in Maggie Valley. Enjoy whatever you do and stay safe.
View attachment 401372

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
My preferred route to TN from Tampa is I-75 to Macon, GA., then get on US129 N. It will merge with US441 and then I go up to Dillsboro NC. From there you can go US441N/US74W to the GSM park, Maggie Valley and on to Tail of the Dragon. As I visit E Tenn, I take US23/US74E to I-40, then up to the Foothills Parkway and Cosby, TN. Lots of good riding roads up there.

Macon is about 5-6 hrs, with 2 gas stops. Good place for lunch. Can make it to Cosby in another 5-6 hrs, or spent the night near Commerce/Cornelia and take the remainder of the ride in the morning. Beautiful scenery on the way.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My preferred route to TN from Tampa is I-75 to Macon, GA., then get on US129 N. It will merge with US441 and then I go up to Dillsboro NC. From there you can go US441N/US74W to the GSM park, Maggie Valley and on to Tail of the Dragon. As I visit E Tenn, I take US23/US74E to I-40, then up to the Foothills Parkway and Cosby, TN. Lots of good riding roads up there.

Macon is about 5-6 hrs, with 2 gas stops. Good place for lunch. Can make it to Cosby in another 5-6 hrs, or spent the night near Commerce/Cornelia and take the remainder of the ride in the morning. Beautiful scenery on the way.

Safe riding.
Thank you I will check it out.

·
Registered
2013 F6B
10 Posts
I am planning to ride up to NC/Tenn. area on Monday 05/16 and would appreciate any help on a route. I have trailered the bike up 75 many times but this will be my first time riding the bike up. I do enjoy back roads better than the slab. I will be travelling alone. Also if anybody wants to ride along let me know.

Thanks
Vince
I wish I could remember the hiway I took down when I road to Florida from Kansas. It was either 19, or runs parallel to. 19. Watch out for bears though. One ran out beside me and ran along beside the hiway for a while. There’s also I nice stretch of road that runs up along the Georgia Alabama border.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Like others have said, I would just take 441 from your side of the state. Nice road, you will make good time and avoid the big cities. I live in Jax and make the trip often. I was just there last week and this is the route I usually take from my side.

Enjoy your trip!

Map World Rectangle Screenshot Font

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like others have said, I would just take 441 from your side of the state. Nice road, you will make good time and avoid the big cities. I live in Jax and make the trip often. I was just there last week and this is the route I usually take from my side.

Enjoy your trip!

View attachment 401399
Yes it is looking like that is the best way to go 441.

Thank you
Vince

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Enjoy your trip!

View attachment 401399
Try this next time. It's at least an hour quicker and no traffic plus fun roads for the most part. There’s possibly of traffic on 95 and the little bit on 441.

Ecoregion Map World Light Rectangle

1 - 20 of 26 Posts