GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pamper my '12 Goldwing to the max with maintenance and protecting
it in any way, which brings up the question only you GW owners can answer.

"Do you feel riding your GL1800 for hours in a pouring rain does the bike any harm, like switches, buttons, suspensions, steering, etc?"

So much here is written on buttons switches that malfunction over time and wonder how you feel on drencing your proud and joy
in water.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I think rain riding has a greater effect on add on accessories than on the on board controls. The problems we talk about concerning those switches is more from the fact we ride our bikes, and the age of our bikes. I don't ride if it's already raining, but getting caught in a storm is inevitable if you do any lengthy riding. My Wing is 16 years old, that any switch works is a credit to the quality of our vehicles. Sooner or later with exposure to weather and use over time, something is gonna give. It's your bike, so this is a decision only you can make. I bought mine to ride, not look pretty in the garage (although they do do that well), and have found an annual cleaning of the switches with a can of CRC26, has kept me pretty much trouble free. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't like riding in the rain, primarily because I KNOW that car and truck drivers are less likely to even see me on the road. But I have been on long trips where the bike is getting quite dirty and bug covered, then I get caught in a downpour and voila, the bike is nice and clean again. I keep a couple of microfiber clothes with me all the time, and have merely wiped the bike down after it is caught in the rain and usually I end up with it looking like I just spent a few hours cleaning it up instead of just 5 minutes of wipe down. So far, no problems at all with the rain getting into places where it doesn't belong, other than puddling on the seat under my Beadrider seat cover.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I pamper my 09 a bit as well regarding maintenance and cleaning.
But it does not prevent me from riding in less than ideal conditions.

While I don't sit at home and wait for a rainy day and say , great lets go for a ride. if I have planned something I usually go regardless.

For instance I have been on holiday and have reservations that I wish to keep along the way.
Tropical cyclones, burst culverts with a river across the road and water levels up past the foot pegs, gravel roads come immediately to mind.
I use a 1/2 cover when away and have a shed at home.

I generally clean the screen and headlight area only when away and give it a full-Monty clean when I get home.
I bought new and no problems so far.

·
Registered
640 Posts
riding in the rain

Riding in the rain sucks, but sooner or later it's gonna happen. I like to make sure it gets dried out before putting it away if possible. I think that's what causes more problems than anything, putting it in the garage wet and just leaving it there instead of taking it out and riding on the next sunny day. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Rain ain't so bad. What do you use to wash your bike? Do you use water under pressure from a garden hose? That may be worse than rain. I use hot water in a bucket applied with a wash cloth or sponge to wash my bike and then dry it off with an old, large bath towel. I try to avoid riding when the roads have been treated with salt. Salt dust finds its way into the smallest of spaces. Salt absorbs water and combined with water causes corrosion. But as hard as I try to avoid the salt, the urge to ride is too great to be overcome by a bit of salt.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
They say there are two kind of riders, those who ride in the rain, and those who don't ride, I find this to be true. It's almost always raining some where, and if you ride you're gonna be caught in it sometimes. I've rode in some real frog chokers many times, and have not ever had a switch or suspension related problem.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Riding in the rain/ heavy downpours isn’t as bad as it sounds with the right rain gear. I ran from Florida to northern Tennessee in horrific storms, then it did the same exact thing upon my return ( not by choice ). Takes longer, you use more energy to pay attention to everything but it won’t hurt the bike whatsoever. Generally it won’t hurt any bike. My 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan has been involved in no less than 4 unreal storms with 3 of the 4 in open fields. Never stalled out or gave me grief. Good rain gear is your friend.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I think the OP's post is more about the adverse effects of exposure to rain on the controls and other components of his Wing than rain gear and personal comfort.

·
IronMan
17,628 Posts
**** here in florida only way to get the bugs off is ride in the rain ! Unless ya live in dessert dont know how you can ride without getting in rain

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've always used a quality wax on my bikes (usually Mequiars carnauba) and I postflight it every time with Pledge (or whatever is the most available brand at the time). Pledge on the windshield too (fills in micro scratches and makes removing suicidal butterflies easier).

The flat black abs trim areas I periodically wipe down with Black Magic plastic restorer (there are several other quality brands out there as well).

The end result is that when I'm riding in rain the moisture beads off everywhere, including switch panels (and I'm SO happy the 2018 has reduced the size of the switch panel).

Using that regimen I've never had any Honda disappoint me with balky switch performance.

So I agree with those who say the worst part of riding in rain is having to detail the bike afterward.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts

"Do you feel riding your GL1800 for hours in a pouring rain does the bike any harm, like switches, buttons, suspensions, steering, etc?"

So much here is written on buttons switches that malfunction over time and wonder how you feel on drencing your proud and joy
in water.

Cheers!
Yes living in Florida I have driven in the rain a lot. I do think rain can have a affect on button , switches. I have had my ptt controls left handle bar Controls replaced and one of the cockpit panels. Also I wash and am careful not to direct spray any control button areas . Is the biggest problem when in the rain you are moving foward .

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I ride in the rain quite often (if I get caught in it) and never had any problems...... I'm pretty sure that Honda made these switches rain/water proof....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Which vehicle I choose mostly depends on which vehicle is already the most dirty on a rain day. If both vehicles are clean than I will choose the Goldwing since it is quicker to wash than our Highlander. I also park the Goldwing up on a (seldom used) loading dock at work that keeps the Goldwing out of the showers.

No problems with switches, chrome or anything else made by Honda after over 9 years of Florida rain riding (can't say the same thing about some of the rust and peeled chrome on some of the aftermarket stuff...but of course I won't mention a manufacturer).

·
Registered
4,729 Posts

in water.

Cheers!
Let me be one of the very few that comprehends your question. Whenever I did ride an extended time in the rain(crossed entire state of Ohio in downpour) when I got home I sprayed silicone spray into the spaces around each button. Not sure if it actually helped or not, but I never had any issues that I can contribute to rain.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have never been concerned about riding any of my bikes in the rain. I have ridden in rain and some snow. My only concerns were for the seats and grip coverings. I know the material that coves them is susceptible to water intrusion. But, in most cases, they are covered by a large body which tends to help keep the water off (well it does tend to collect in certain spots that cause depressions.

There are all kinds of ways of looking at the issue. If you are moving, the rain is less likely to intrude into areas like handle bar switches (or so it would seem).

On the wing, I get wetter when I am stopped or having to ride slow. My pillion (passenger) gets more water than I do.

I never "wash" my bike. I wipe it down. Spraying water on the bikes parts just seems to me to invite water intrusion (and I know you did not ask about that).

So the only issue I have riding in the rain is rider safety. Not concerned about the bike. I have to believe that Honda assumed I would ride in the rain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts