GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone figure out how to get the right fairing pocket door open. The remote light blinks when the button for the door is pushed. Tried emergency start procedure and that didn't work (bike did start but the stupid door didn't open). I had trouble once before opening it but got it to open. After that I removed the catch tab from the fuel door, therefore I can put fuel in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can you hear the actuator click? You may have a faulty actuator. Since you were able to do the emergency start procedure the switch is fine.
You can access the actuator by removing the upper right side panel and pulling on the side door cable.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Anyone figure out how to get the right fairing pocket door open. The remote light blinks when the button for the door is pushed. Tried emergency start procedure and that didn't work (bike did start but the stupid door didn't open). I had trouble once before opening it but got it to open. After that I removed the catch tab from the fuel door, therefore I can put fuel in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Take a look at Max's Traxxion video.
He has a mod to the right side door for the problem you are experiencing.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
He has a mod to the right side door for the problem you are experiencing.:smile2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIWklpg_Mw

No thanks, on this one..... I would rather find the right spot for a pull string tucked away in the center pocket for either fuel door or right pocket door. It may even be possible for a pull string hidden in the "steering head tunnel" to pull the cable at the motor for the side pocket door. But, I would not do it on mine until I needed to do so. I think I would be able to get the gas door open in a few minutes and then just remove the latch on the gas door until I could put in the pull string release to use while the original problem is being worked.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you hear the actuator click? You may have a faulty actuator. Since you were able to do the emergency start procedure the switch is fine.
You can access the actuator by removing the upper right side panel and pulling on the side door cable.
I can not hear the actuator. What is the upper side panel you speak of?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can not hear the actuator. What is the upper side panel you speak of?
It’s the middle cowl panel that is right above the side pocket. The right mirror will need to be removed. You will also need to remove clips and screws from the inner cowl before removing the middle cowl.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s the middle cowl panel that is right above the side pocket. The right mirror will need to be removed. You will also need to remove clips and screws from the inner cowl before removing the middle cowl.
Okay, Thanks for the info. I am hoping for a lose connector. If not, then I will take it to the dealer this winter and get it fixed under the warranty. Thanks again and take care.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Okay, Thanks for the info. I am hoping for a lose connector. If not, then I will take it to the dealer this winter and get it fixed under the warranty. Thanks again and take care.
Not a problem Buzzmoe. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Sounds like you are waiting for winter to have dealer repair.

Light blinking on FOB intrigued me, so I tried it.

FWIW, when button at door top is pressed the fob led flashes and at the same time the actuator on the door can be heard/felt releasing.

If the fob is turned turned 'off' it does not flash when button above door is pushed -- and no actuator noise.

If the fob is 'off' and the 'remote unlock' on fob has been pressed -- the fob light does not flash, but the actuator will function so the door will open. (and the saddle bags and trunk can also be opened)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My RH pocket door release has been intermittent for the last few months but would eventually unlatch. Now when I push the release button, the FOB LED blinks indicating the system is responding but the latch will not release. The reason I bring this up is I was able to open the fuel door without releasing the pocket door. I simply lifted the upper RH corner of the door about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch, installed a wedge to hold it, then used a small screw driver to push the release button. What really helped was my Braun 390 led light from Harbor freight. It has a light at the tip which I could shine into the pocket and clearly see the button. Once the door opened, I took the latch off the fuel door so I can open and close it manually. There is enough friction in the door to hold it closed. I plan to call the dealer later this week and have it fixed at a convenient time. If you do this, I suggest making sure the plastic is around 70 deg or more and apply some tape around the door opening to protect the plastic.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I’m generally not a big fan of MaxxMods, but credit where credit is due. This one is innocuous and potentially useful. So ... Good Job Max!

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Max did this mod for me when I had my suspension upgraded. Its a nice, clean installation, and unless you know its there, you don't even notice it.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My RH pocket door release has been intermittent for the last few months but would eventually unlatch. Now when I push the release button, the FOB LED blinks indicating the system is responding but the latch will not release. The reason I bring this up is I was able to open the fuel door without releasing the pocket door. I simply lifted the upper RH corner of the door about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch, installed a wedge to hold it, then used a small screw driver to push the release button. What really helped was my Braun 390 led light from Harbor freight. It has a light at the tip which I could shine into the pocket and clearly see the button. Once the door opened, I took the latch off the fuel door so I can open and close it manually. There is enough friction in the door to hold it closed. I plan to call the dealer later this week and have it fixed at a convenient time. If you do this, I suggest making sure the plastic is around 70 deg or more and apply some tape around the door opening to protect the plastic.

Helpful advice, Thanks! Lets us know how you make out at the dealers. I still haven't got my right fairing pocket door open. Was going to take it to the dealer this week but we are to get 1 to 2" of snow. I'll get it there eventually. I assume this will be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
867 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIWklpg_Mw
This is HUGE !!! Especially for a # 2 'mechanic' like me. ( 2 on a scale of 1-10 ) This was like a "Fred" video. Explaining in terms that even an idiot ( me ) can understand. I tour often. And EVERY trip, not every fill-up, EVERY trip I've wondered how am I going to fill up WHEN that doors fails to open. THIS is such an easy fix that it's GENIUS !!!

Thanks, Max !!!!

p.s. there has to be SOMEBODY reading this that doesn't know what a 'step' drill is. I didn't either until just a few months ago.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Me too. Had to go to around 10 places to find the right plastic plug, but worth the effort if I ever need to use this.
Worth your effort ?? OF COURSE !!!!! Bad enough if this ever happened near home. Out on the road, far away from home ?? Forget it !! This idea from Max is so simple that it's truly genius !!! Yes.

And not for nuttin'........ it WILL happen. It's just a matter of WHEN. Yes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts