GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw someone refering to a right fairing pocket power plug.

is there an extra power plug it like there is on the left pocket, or do i need to go to the battery.

i want to get a power plug to charge my gps and cell phone, very little power drain.

thanks

loren

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Loren,

Dr, Rob and I installed one last night. There is an Aux power source hidden way up in the corner. it is just like the one that is on the left. This power source is provided for the heated grips I believe. If you are useing that source already, you can get the Chrisco power splitter from Chef or HDL. Just don't overload the circuit.

We used a 1 1/4" spade bit to cut the hole in the pocket. The install is plug and play.

To get the pins out, we use a curved nose "hemostat" to punch the center of the pins and then hook on them and drag them out of the holes without losing them. Someone, i don't remember who, referenced the Hemostat as a "Roach Clip". I have no idea what that is. :oops:

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bulldog

i wanna know what took so long for your reply, i had to sit here almost 24 minutes before i got the answer.

thanks for the help, now how do i get my bike hands in that tiny space, i guess that ill figure that one somehow

loren

·
Registered
994 Posts
loren said:
i saw someone refering to a right fairing pocket power plug.

is there an extra power plug it like there is on the left pocket, or do i need to go to the battery.

i want to get a power plug to charge my gps and cell phone, very little power drain.

thanks

loren
Loren - You may already be aware of it but E/C puts out a nice power plug for the trunk. Perfect for charging cell phones, etc. Pics for installation location were posted here a few times.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Loren,

Not having seen your hands, but reading about them in your earlier posts, I don't think you're EVER going to be able to get to that connector on an '01 or '02 model. (They were nice enough to extend this connector on the later versions)

The connector has a very short pigtail and is located almost directly behind the mirror so it's very hard to access it. I've installed quite a few connections to that plug for my display timer adapters, and it can be a real bear, and my hands aren't very big.

Your best bet (assuming you don't want to pull the shelter) is to remove the RH mirror - you can usually reach in there to access the plug with the pocket out and the mirror off.

Get the power splitter from Chris that Bulldog mentioned - I think it's long enough to give you enough slack to easily get to the connector. I would add a connector from E/C to allow you to easily unplug the socket so you can remove the pocket when needed.

This is a fuzzy picture of me touching this connector on my '02 - my fingertips are just on the connector...

When I make the connector for this connection, I make the pigtail long enough to make the connector easily available so I don't have to do this again...

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
What's the reason again for needing to "pluck" the pins using a hemostat? I lost track of the process at that point. On the left-side it was simple a plug-in. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Jon said:
Loren,

Not having seen your hands, but reading about them in your earlier posts, I don't think you're EVER going to be able to get to that connector on an '01 or '02 model. (They were nice enough to extend this connector on the later versions)

The connector has a very short pigtail and is located almost directly behind the mirror so it's very hard to access it. ...
No wonder I couldn't find the dang thing! I knew it was in there and drove myself crazy trying to find that connector... finally gave up and put the right pocket back in because I wanted to ride. I already have the chrisco Y connector (no template - got the real deal) and need to hook up my digital voltmeter. My hands are large but nimble so I'm gonna give it a try in the near future.

Jon, Thanx for the very clear info. It's a BIG help! :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
One more interesting thing I've noted about this aux power plug is that it's not always exactly where you think it'll be. Jon's description of the location behind the mirror is very accurate but I have also found this same connector in the large rubber boot behind and above the radiator next to the frame.

Being the simple minded person that I am, I thought it was different on an ABS vs a non ABS model and then I thought it was just the earlier models that had the connector in the boot. However in the 50+ Gl1800's I have worked on, I have found the power connector in both places on 01, 02, and 03's both ABS models and non ABS models.

So I say all this just to say that if you don't find it in one location, look in the other.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i pulled the meter panal off....really quite simple
then its easy to reach the natural color plug
i took a SHARP razor knife and cut the tape
on the wire loom enough to get the two wires
(dark grn and blk/grn..i think) and plug to left of
a brace ...i cant remember what its for.........
this will give you plenty of wire to work with

·
Registered
584 Posts
hemostats

Bulldog,
I vaguely remember a place I ended up after loosing my map back in '69 or so, I was giving my '03 ill. blurple a chance to really stretch her legs and run. Anyway, hemostats were almost standard issue there. "Here's your toolbox, and this is the hemo' drawer". (Airforce acft. mech.) To sum it up, hemostats were the Rolls Royce of tweezers. And to further sum it up, I did not partake. Didn't then, still don't.
Hope this helped.
Isn't this a little bit of absolutely useless trivia?
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts