GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit to Original Post

My original question doesn't matter now. Suffice to say, I couldn't open the right pocket door. See below for an easy way to open the right pocket door when your key won't work.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I've never done it personally......but can you seek in a strategically bent object of some kind to trip the latch? Otherwise I guess it's off with the shelter!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I think I have the perfect fix, so those of you that are interested, you can add this thread to your "How To" links. Note, this was done on an '06 model.

First, I removed the right side fairing trim. Then I removed the bolt shown in this picture:

Next, I removed the panel with the key lock to access the back of the panel and the underside of the right pocket. I separated the lock panel from the cable for better acess. Doing this is straight forward. No explanation needed.

Using a stiff wire, I ran the wire up beside the latch, gripped the latch and it poped open. See it in THIS VIDEO. Note, it might take a minute to download. It's about 2MB.

To give you an idea where you grip the latch, these next two photos might help. The first one shows the lock mechanism. Note the cable is attached, but the end of the cable had popped out.

This photo shows where I grabbed onto the latch with the wire.

I hope this will be helpful to some of you in the future.

Bartman

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks dtbmjax,
This has not happened to me "yet", but it is great to know than when it happens i Will be able to get in there without taking the top shelter off. I am assuming this will work with an 05.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Bartman, that's some nice and thoughtful work you have done. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post for others to use. I for one appreciate your efforts. :D

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Ride safely always. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bart,

Nice job! Ya did good with the pics.

I still got to get with you sometime about my cruise control. If I ever get a free minute..lol.

Dep

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bart,

Nice job! But you didn't use your bare feet so it can't go into the "Fred H." Hall of Fame archives. :D

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dep said:
Bart,

Nice job! Ya did good with the pics.

I still got to get with you sometime about my cruise control. If I ever get a free minute..lol.

Dep
Anytime John. Just let me know.

jamcgowan said:
Bart,

Nice job! But you didn't use your bare feet so it can't go into the "Fred H." Hall of Fame archives. :D
Actually, I was "barefoot" doing this. It's still nice and warm here in FLA-USA! :wink:

Bartman

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Excellent Post. I try and learn by OTHERS mistakes, and take some pride in the fact that, before I even put the screws and such in, I double check the latching mechanism first.

Fortunately, it's never happened to me......yet. :wink:

But, if it ever does !!! :D

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Jerry.......I think that it works alittle different on the 05. For some reason(??) mine didn't open, and the latch was not nearly as accessable as Bartmans pix show. I used the hook that was intended to reach up to the latch to operate the push pins, and was able to lift the lid enough to remove the phillips screws. Pretty simple considering the alternatives

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
sammisgrammy said:
Jerry.......I think that it works alittle different on the 05. For some reason(??) mine didn't open, and the latch was not nearly as accessable as Bartmans pix show. I used the hook that was intended to reach up to the latch to operate the push pins, and was able to lift the lid enough to remove the phillips screws. Pretty simple considering the alternatives
Ahhhhhhh OK ! I'll file that for future reference as well.
(if I can remember to remember) :oops:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.