GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this just sucks, I noticed oil on the front tire and found that the fork is leaking. Now what?? Ok I have seen here a trick of sliding 35mm film around the fork to clean the seals. But that would be a temporary fix. Is there any videos going through the forks?

Anyways I have a 2001.

tomorrow is suppose to be nearing 60's which equals riding weather..

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The only thing that you are hoping for with the film is that it is just a piece of bug or road debris stuck to the seal. If the film fixes it, it should be permanent. If the seal is damaged, the film won't help.

60's tomorrow? Go riding. With the way this spring is going, it will snow next week and you can fix it then. :lol:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut a plastic jug (Milk) with a small hook and ran that it around the fork. Then pumped the forks several times with cleaning once in awhile. I don't see any new oil so will have to try it again tomorrow. Keep fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
A piece of advice... My left fork started leaking, not bad but sometimes I had a little pool on the ground. I had a trip scheduled for this week so took it to a mechanic I trust. All fixed now EXCEPT I waited too long and the oil leaked down and ruined the brake pads on that side. All good now but cost me more because I waited too long... :evil:

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Until you are sure it has stopped seeping, make a diaper or kotex for it out of shop towel and electrical tape, this to protect the brake pads and keep the mess to minimum. You can leave the big rubber dust cap loose for a while to allow you peek into the seal area to make sure the top stays dry.

prs

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
how many miles on bike .?? maybe just wore out. did mine 60,000 + and bushings were shot ! any longer n tubes be junk to !

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
A piece of advice... My left fork started leaking, not bad but sometimes I had a little pool on the ground. I had a trip scheduled for this week so took it to a mechanic I trust. All fixed now EXCEPT I waited too long and the oil leaked down and ruined the brake pads on that side. All good now but cost me more because I waited too long... :evil:
Yep, that is one place where it pays to get right on it. Can be a huge safety factor too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any thoughts on what type of fork oil I should use. I'm looking at WingStuff and they have two types. Also do I need a seal kit if I buy the progressive sprint kit?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
You need minimum 2 #26 (seals) for the job, but if you are in there you should change bushings #16 and #15 needing two of each.

Image1.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't forget #37 & 40

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fork rebuild call buckskin on board get forks shipped to you completely rebuilt with new progressive mono tubes best thing I did. Not worth my time doing the rebuild for price of parts. Easy to change out forks Did his triple tree also a little harder but by the time I did mine which was third one in a week it was easy .Thanks Buckskin.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Forks

Yeah, the right front usually goes first for some reason. I tried the film thing....did not work. I gave up and took her to the shop. VERY stinky job. That fork oil get really nasty when it gets old.
Mine went about 45K and I now have 79k on her.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rode the bike today after doing the cleaning and it's no longer leaking. I have make an appointment for the shop to go through the forks and get everything right. But at least I can ride the bike until then.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep, that is one place where it pays to get right on it. Can be a huge safety factor too.
Absolutely, it is amazing how much more control you have with BOTH front brakes working... :oops:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Absolutely, it is amazing how much more control you have with BOTH front brakes working... :oops:
It really is amazing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fork rebuild call buckskin on board get forks shipped to you completely rebuilt with new progressive mono tubes best thing I did. Not worth my time doing the rebuild for price of parts. Easy to change out forks Did his triple tree also a little harder but by the time I did mine which was third one in a week it was easy .Thanks Buckskin.

might want to rethink this. I still have issues with mine that he did...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Damn, I've had some bad lucks with rebuilds though. I would prefer getting completely new but if your'e in no hurry, just make sure they're properly sealed and do a couple tests. That way you don't have to waste too much time if you install it and it's shot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well this just sucks, I noticed oil on the front tire and found that the fork is leaking. Now what?? Ok I have seen here a trick of sliding 35mm film around the fork to clean .

Just forget all the snakeoil crap and get the seals and whatever else needs replacing by someone who knows WTF they're doing (e.g. DEALER). The DIY crowd that thinks they can just skip that are the same ones we see here with posts saying "I did this, and now THIS is happening."

I had to get my '04 seals done @ 50K. Just do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts