GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with the center bolt at the bottom of the fork tube. It will not come out or tighten back up. The service manual says to install the spring, spacer, and cap if the damper and bolts continues to spin. I tried this with the old spring, the new Progressive spring, holding the damper rod, pulling on the damper, with fork oil/without fork oil installed and I'm out luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the bolt out? The only idea that I have left is to drill out the head of the 8mm socket head bolt. Then replace the bolt with a new one, after I retap and clean the damper.

Any HELP sure would be appreicated at this point.

Thank you and Happy New Year! :cry: :cry: :( :(

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I suggest you try an air impact wrench. I've run into this same problem on Wing forks in the past, they are assembled with a Locktite type thread adhesive, and the only way to get them loose is with an air wrench.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bill, I had the exact same problem this past week. I ended up taking the right tube off, held the damper rod with the tube hanging down on its' own weight. I then used a 3/8" impact wrench on the screw, and it finally came out. I didn't use any loctite when I reassembled both sides.

If that doesn't work, you may have to go the route you suggested. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same problem last year

Bill I had the same problem and tried all that's been mentioned above. After holding the damper from spinning from the top side there's base at the bottom of the damper that continued to spend so I said it's now time for dealer warrenty work. The dealer tried everything I had done and still could not get the bolt out. So, it was time to drill the head off of the allen bolt.

That got the damper out and it was then easy to hold the base of the damper and remove the drilled off bolt with a pair of vise grips. When you put it back together do not follow the shop manual instructions of using locite the bolt's. Honda should not be using loctite on bolts that go into an internal parts that can spin.

The lesson learned here is: The bolts are loctited into an internal part that can spin and there's no way of holding the spinning base of the damper once it starts spinning. The best chance of getting the RH allen bolt out the first time is to use an impact gun and if the bolt spins just drill the allen head off and get a new bolt for re-assembly.

Arnie
Orange 02

·
Registered
601 Posts
There are different grades of loktite. If you choose to use any, use the blue. I will not set up hard, but will not allow the bolt to loosen.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Fork Bolts

I had the same problem with one of the fork bolts and had to drill the head off. The speed and torque of an impact wrench may work, if you have one available.
Good Luck
:)

Len Ellis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Could not drill it because the threads stripped and could not hold it. Honda replaced the entire Fork assembly under warranty. Will not touch that bolt again. Another QC problem at Honda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANX to all those who responded!

This common problem with the fork leg bolt was taken care of by the impact wrench. I purchased a new bolt incase I had to drill off the socket head on the bolt. But I also went to Harbor Freight tools and purchased an inexpensive air impact 3/8" for $17 on sale, regular price of 26.99. I used the air impact and finished! So the idea of using the impact did the job even when the bolt is loose and spins freely in either direction. I had my doubts but it worked perfectly.

So to all of you that have this job in mind or plan to do this job in the future...take the advice of others and USEthe impact wrench!

Thanx to all of you out there that offered your help and assistance! This board is great and is there for the help and info others may need. :D :) :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts