GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is normally used to glue the grips in place? Mine right side has been working loose and it appears to be something like 3-m weatherstripping glue. I have reglued once, with 3-m, but is working loose again. They are Kuryakyn and was on the bike when I purchased it.
thanks,

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
sounds like someone did not clean up before glueing, or spilled brake fluid or WD40 on the grip. Honda makes grip cement that will hold up under the heated grips without softening.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's what I use. It works very well! Easy cleanup too.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=5616&str=9&ID=827992342

Just make sure you:

1. Clean the naked bar well with rubbing alcohol to remove any potential contaminants.

2. Put a strip of some kind of fabric-type tape on the bars after using the alcohol.

3. Apply a generous amount of the Honda Grip glue and slide the grips on.

Dries within about an hour.

Good Luck!

Scott

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I live a good way from the Honda shop so I cleaned everything and dropped a few drops of super glue down into the grip and pushed it back on. May never get it off if the need ever arises. HOPE not! THANKS again!!!!!!
OLD YELLAR

·
Registered
174 Posts
After I got my 1800, I brought the kuryakyn brand new. And installed them as per the instruction sheet, using electicial tape, and their enclosed super glue. Both sides because loose, and removal in a very short time. To make a long story short, both grips at different times have become loose at least 3 times each. The last time the right grip became loose, we were on a group ride, and had to make a "temp" repair at a gas station. I had to buy there a small roll of electicial tape, and placed a second "wrapping" of tape, kinda like a barber pole, but the other direction from the first taping. YOU KNOW WHAT. That was some time ago, and to this date, that "temp" repair is still holding, and has not moved what so ever. The left grip became loose again later, and I made that same "temp" repair, and that is still holding just as well!
If anyone else would want to try this, one thing I did find out is for the second wrapping of tape, only go up about 60% of the distance. I found out, on both, that if you go the whole distance, it will cause the rubber area up high to be pushed outwards, properly because it was way too tight. Also remember, no glue of any kind was used in this final repair.

These grips are on a trike, which may be the reason for so glue failures because of extra pressure put on them from the steering force. However the tape, by itself, holds just fine, and I doubt if I will ever need to change anything again. RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. When I cleaned mine I noticed there was no tape on them. If they come loose again, I'll put some on and try that. Mean time I'll get the proper glue.
Thanks again..... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts